Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

Lets get these dang holes opened up. a6.JPG a7.JPG

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Now, lets get em' primed and painted. a8.JPG a12.JPG

3. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is one of the few times that I've closed the gate valves, it shows that all the original pics of the car with the lower part visible, that they were open for those pics. a10.JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    tomkelly88, loudbang and bobo1 like this.
  4. jivin jer

jivin jer

This shows the exhaust coming out of the new (huge, stock) mufflers, through those (not yet completed) pipes that point down at the floor. The car sounds very strange, unlike any "full house" flathead that I have ever heard. I WILL get some videos of this, with the difference between the two configureations. 004.JPG

tomkelly88 and loudbang like this.
  5. jivin jer

jivin jer

Another milestone. a14.JPG

6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

One of the reasons that I enjoy this type of build is the history, the discoveries, etc. I mentioned earlier that Junior had said that the stainless issues were just as difficult back then as now. I would think more difficult because of no tig welders. He said that it was common to cover the cut stainless windshield molding joints with a cap that was fabbed out of scrap molding.

I was looking through some of the original pics that I have, some are rare Lares shots. One of them I used to confirm that the windshield height was the 8” that Jesse had originally talked about at the start of this adventure . I just happened to look again at that photo and noticed something that I had overlooked before. The windshield stainless moldings on Jesse’s car were just cut and fitted together, and that was it.

Oh well, hundreds of dollars later, I finally get it right. This will remove a major road block to finishing this project. I need to get them polished, and I’ll be ready to install them for good. Son Dan is helping on the weekends and I need him to get the wiring issues sorted out. For one thing, just the amp gauge works. Then I can button up the interior, install the appletons, do a final buff, and I think its “a wrap”. I do think that I have said this type of thing before. 007.JPG a15.JPG

8. Torchie

Torchie

I am sure that you looked at that picture a hundred times and never noticted those clips Jer. The amount of detail that you have put into this recreation is just amazing.
    You are closing in on it for sure. Stay strong and keep at it.
    Torchie

9. nice catch on that Jer... Looks great...

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

a18.JPG a19.JPG Here's another shot without the bumper. Bill Dyson saved the build (again) by having a '46 outer bracket. a16.JPG

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

G/ma and I have been in Tampa visiting our youngest son, about a week, including last week end. It’s good to be back, and on the final part of this journey. There have been major obsticals, and long time road blocks that have just been overcome. So, what’s left is the physical, and mental issues of pushing myself over the mountain top and start down the other side.

The exhaust is now done, and the big deal about the windshield stainless is now solved, with the bonus being another discovery about how this problem was dealt with back then. I want to do a final polish on the nose/top/doors area, and then install the Appleton’s. Yep, you heard that right, these picture’s were taken quite a long time ago, and now we’re here at this point. A looooong and tedious journey. The electrical issue won’t stop the other work from being completed, although the door panel’s won’t be installed until I’m confident about the door popper operation.

As the realization has come that I’m finally at this point, my body has been sending me subtle signals that there may be a 24 hour period (or several) of uninterrupted sleep. This sort of thing has happened before, I'm curious as to what the result will be.. It will be good, but how good, is the question. I’m looking forward to it ,and I'm glad that you've been along for the ride. 001 (3).JPG

Attached Files:

Gotgas, eric54chevy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  12. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Thanks for sharing everything, the good and the not quite as good. Congratulations, it's an amazing build. Dave

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, here we are with the stainless trim on the windshield. The center divider bar is going to need a little work. I'm trying to decide weather to wait on the spotlights, and yes as you can see, you don't dare clean that plexiglass with ANY solvent. a.JPG b.JPG c.JPG

14. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

15. the hump

the hump

very, very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Nice nice nice :)

17. Sensational build well done...

18. Very well done, Jer!

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody. Well, I’ve survived burnout, crippling lethargy, a thyroid gland that put me in bed for almost a week. Defective parts, defective subcontractors, mistakes, and every kind of setback possible. I think the end of this part of the build is in sight.

Son Dan, has just finished up the defective wiring, a big job. The Appleton’s are a little sketchy, but they’ll do until I can find better ones. The door poppers are working good, which means I can assemble the doors with the new panels. Then it’s some fine tuning/detailing, and we move to the last part of this saga. 002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

I’m going to get some outside shots shortly.

20. Torchie

Torchie

Looking great Jer. It's a bitch when you pay some one to do something then have to go back and fix it yourself.
    Can't wait to see her back outside.
    Torchie

21. just awesome ! thanks for sharing Jer !

22. Those final details seem to take forever don't they? Looking forward to those outside shots Jer.

Dave

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I misread "defective parts" as "defective farts". Gee, things really ARE bad!
    All kidding aside, I'm excited to see the grand finale of this build. It is a true masterpiece and you should be very, very proud of what you've accomplished.

Sent from my LG-H810 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Looks great Jer. I can't wait to see it outside.

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

I took out the back seat to give the glass guy some room to install the new/fresh plexiglass rear window. aa.JPG It will also help with clean up.

loudbang, 509garyd and tomkelly88 like this.
  26. Wow awesome job man!! Mind if I ask what size tire your running? The proportions are perfect!

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

The tires are 7.10X15"s.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  28. jivin jer

jivin jer

These aren't the formal pose shots that mimic the original photo's that are out there, but we're on our way there. 0001.JPG

Attached Files:

29. Wow! It looks fantastic Jer well done.