Register now to get rid of these ads!

record player for my ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jester, May 28, 2004.

1. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

I recieved one the of the koolest gifts ever from a friend yesterday. An old after markest record player for automobile use. I have always wanted one and this one is in mint shape. All chrome, plays the bottom of the record then drops it off and plays the bottom of the next, plays 45 speed records. He wasn't sure but thinks it may be an ARC brand but could also be a RCA. I want to use this thing in my 53. I have question about the wiring. It shows two wires going to the volume control wires of the radio does anyone know how I should go about wiring this thing up?
    sorry no pics yet.

2. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Good post...I have always wondered about those....I never knew anyone who had one in their car while growing up....any of you older guys ever install a record player in yours?

3. JamesG

JamesG

Dude you suck. [​IMG]

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Record Player?? What are records??? I would put you in one of those CD & DVD Players and get rid of that record player.......Great gift!!! I think I would have cried!!! One of these days I'll have one in my Impala.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Happy Trails,

Mick

5. Donzie

Donzie

That is way cool! Show us a pic.
    I have an under-the-dash 8 track player that I've had for years. I don't think it's ever been installed. In a few more years, it'll be GOLD!!

6. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

I have a cd player to put in the 53 and thought I would run the record player off of that but I'm not sure I'll be able to. I would just get a small amp and hook up a speaker (its mono you know) and be thrilled with just that. Any help would be aprciated. I'll try and get a picture of it and post it next week along with the wiring diagram if that would help to figure out the delema.

7. bettyvixin

bettyvixin

hurry up on the pics [​IMG]

8. Satinblack

Satinblack

They make cd's that look like records, they sound alot better, LOL

9. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

I think this is what the wiring diagram looks like (best of my memory, I'm not at home with it)

Attached Files:

10. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

the sound of a cd while clean and clear is no match for the raw organic sound of records.

11. JamesG

JamesG

[ QUOTE ]
    the sound of a cd while clean and clear is no match for the raw organic sound of records.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did someone say organic.....? [​IMG]

12. TheDooWopKid13

TheDooWopKid13

cool. i heard that those recod players tear up the recods, because of the bouning while you drive, but thats just my 2 cents

13. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    cool. i heard that those recod players tear up the recods, because of the bouning while you drive, but thats just my 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a spring that holds the needle firmly in the groove.
    I think you could probably hook up an input mike and record/cut a record on one.
    They eat the groove like crazy, but they're cool!
    Just don'tplay any "valuable" platters in one.

I think I'll stick to 8-Track... [​IMG]

What's your '53 got in it now? is it 12 or 6 volt?

14. 53 Kaiser

53 Kaiser
    from York, Pa.

Most are a RCA model, They were sold through Sears as Allstate, Montgomery wards etc. ARC is just RCA letters moved around. They are basically all the same. They will hold 14, 45 rpm records. They are mounted in a cradel so they don't really skip too often. When one record finishes it will drop that one and start on the next. Usally they have one hot and one ground wire. If no ground then it just grounds to the dash it is being mounted underneath to. It should have a antenna jack. It will then play through a station on your AM radio band. If I remember in the 1200s Just like the old FM converters used to. I have had several of these over the years. A few things to watch for is that the rubber wheel on the motor is clean and getting good traction to turn the records. Also they are notorious for motor wear then the records play kind of slow. I had a guy who restores Juke boxes restore my motor. Most are 12 volt. These are simular to the Chrysler Hi Way HiFI models except they played 16 1/3 records that you had to buy from your chrysler dealer. On the front around the buttons there should be a aluminum plate that fills this section. Each player make had a different piece in there with their name. Cool find. they always draw attention but most people think they are a old tissue dispenser under the dash. I think I still have a old ad for them. Scott

15. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

I've got a Phillips that I've had for many years. It only takes one record at a time and it is wired for 6,12 and 24 volts. Never tried it so I don't even know if it works or
    not. Hmmmm, may be a collector's item, I wonder what it will bring on e bay?

Attached Files:

16. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i dig the old stories my dad told me growing up of 45 record players he had in his old custom cars,...you know the ladies just had to dig that! hahha, i guess some Chrylsers came with them as an option.

just the stories have made me want one as long as ive been able to drive.

..that and those light bars. [​IMG]

17. 53 Kaiser

53 Kaiser
    from York, Pa.

The single Phillips work very well also. Not as many of those as the RCA models. I usally see record players at Carlisle every year. Saw two there in the spring. I have seen them from $75.00 to $600.00 for a new one in the box.

18. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

I can buy 45's in Hot Springs at the flea markets from 50 cents to 2.50 all day every day so tearing up records isn't that much of a concern to me, needles on the other hand are. I worked for Radio Shack for 6 years and in the time I was there they reduced from being able to order nearly any needle you needed to just a hand full and that was about 4 years ago. I bet you can't find these needle anywhere but I don't care I'm going to use it anyway, after all thats what it was made for right. Thank you all for your help in getting this thing lined out so to say.

19. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

you can find the needles , with a google search ,there are many parts guys that have everything, i ran a whole changer unit in my 60 belair for a couple of years from a 54 wurlitzerin my trunk, spring mounted ,it cracked people up at back to the 50's in 98,yrs ahead of a disc changer,sometimes i think i have too much time

20. [​IMG] I still have a RCA and a ARC. The RCAs were an option from Chry in 59 and later, bought a new one from a Dodge dealer and it had to be wired thru the radio amp portion of the old (new then) 12V -grd AM radio. Local radio shop did it for me and I installed it and a revirb unit in my Brand New 60 Impala 2dr HT. 348/4spd car and it never skipped a note. Took it out when I sold the car and put it in my new 409/409/4spd with the same results. Back when 45s were the in thing, only problem I ever had was everone was always stealing your records or someone would always put some on the package tray and they would warp from the Suns heat. Kept it again and had it installed in my 40 coupe for a while but it interfeared with the stock cowl vent so I took it out.
    The ARCs were aftermarket items sold by J C Whitney, PEP Boys and the likes. Look very simular but not the quality of the RCAs. Both still work fine and the RCA will go in the 60 Impala 2dr HT I am building to be just like my first one. 60s style Super Stocker.
    Good luck with yours, The Ladies and I sure enjoyed mine, "back then" Davey [​IMG] [​IMG]