Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recent Registration in CA

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by magnus13, Feb 20, 2021.

  1. magnus13
    Joined: Jun 1, 2013
    Posts: 134

    from California

    To be honest, I could've pointed to anything and said it was the pcv. He said he didn't know anything about the old engines. I didn't want to say to much or do anything to Rick the boat, just wanted the sticker. Now that it's registered and I don't need smog, is it worth putting the downdraft tube back on?
  2. DrJekyllMrHyde
    Joined: Dec 23, 2016
    Posts: 15


    And I thought we where obstucted with rules and burearcracy here in Denmark, you really went through a lot- but good you did!
    I was happy to find danish title and frame for ‘32 roadster with juice brakes. An impossible find!
    And so happy!
    Your car is beautiful!

    Cheers, Uffe, Denmark

    Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.
    Joel W and magnus13 like this.
  3. oldolds
    Joined: Oct 18, 2010
    Posts: 3,132


    Nice to see you took your time and did the process correctly. It seems to me most states have a process to do the same thing. The problem is that most people want it instantly.
  4. HSF
    Joined: Oct 25, 2014
    Posts: 106

    from Lodi CA

    How much were the fees and how did they calculate them? Taxes based on how much you paid for parts I would imagine. Glad it worked out for you, our DMV is really hit and miss with these things.
  5. Special Ed
    Joined: Nov 1, 2007
    Posts: 6,562

    Special Ed

    No, run that PCV system you have on it now, as long as it's running well. It's an improvement over the old downdraft tube.
  6. magnus13
    Joined: Jun 1, 2013
    Posts: 134

    from California

    Fees were about $400 based on my receipts of around $30k. They ask for the receipt of the frame, body, engine and trans, then one other line item of "how much more did I spend, including my labor value". I cut myself a friends and family deal and worked for $1/day.
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. RodStRace
    Joined: Dec 7, 2007
    Posts: 2,499


    Yes, the PCV is a good system when done properly.
    Yours is an antiquated style with the valve and a vented cap (Type 3, IIRC), but is much better for vapors out of the engine (the smog) AND it keeps the engine internals cleaner too.
    Glad it went well and that you have shared the process.

    That whole labor value stinks, since they are taxing your own labor, which they don't do for keeping your own house clean or a thousand other things they will not compensate you for your time, but it will help for insurance valuation.
    Special Ed and magnus13 like this.
  8. The37Kid
    Joined: Apr 30, 2004
    Posts: 27,897


    Great post, it may look like a 1932 Ford Roadster to everyone here, but what does California call it on the paperwork? Bob
  9. magnus13
    Joined: Jun 1, 2013
    Posts: 134

    from California

    Because there was no 1932 VIN to start with, CA sees it as a Kit Car. Its registered as a 2020 SPCN (specialty constructed vehicle).
  10. The37Kid
    Joined: Apr 30, 2004
    Posts: 27,897


    Thanks! So God forbid it gets stolen, CHIP puts out an APB for a stolen 2020SPCN, do they mention a color to help tell it apart from all the other 2020 SPCN's racing around the freeways? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    rust runner likes this.
  11. Mike Colemire
    Joined: May 18, 2013
    Posts: 1,366

    Mike Colemire

    It's harder here in Ky right now. When I did my 33, just had a bill of sale, it took about 3 mths. Everybody was working from home and nobody really knew what they were doing. One would say to do this and then they next one would say no you have to do this and it ended up being a circus. Sheriff inspection and vin number was the easiest and after that it turned into a mess.
  12. Stogy
    Joined: Feb 10, 2007
    Posts: 18,914


    Glad you got that out of the way...that'd make one want to take a drive and keep on going but hey, it's done Miiiiiiilllllllestones eh!!
  13. Joe Troilo
    Joined: Oct 3, 2007
    Posts: 237

    Joe Troilo

    Glad you got the car on the street. I thought Brookville provided a certificate of origin or certificate of manufacturer with their bodies. Most states allow this cert to serve as the title. It drives the same type special number plate like you received from your DMV and in some cases a specialty tag as well i.e. street rod or hobbyist. Some states use year of engine to determine emissions requirements. I think other than the wait time you did well.
    Cool car.
    magnus13 likes this.
  14. cretin
    Joined: Oct 10, 2006
    Posts: 2,913


    I didn't read through the whole thread, so my apologies if you've already addressed this. But why weren't you able to register it under one of the 500 yearly smog exemptions where you could have registered it as a '32? Because of how late in the year you started, there were none left available?
  15. 19Eddy30
    Joined: Mar 27, 2011
    Posts: 1,146

    from VA

    pre WWII Vehicles, body has No vin#
    The vin is for Frame, motor ,trans ,I believe rear.
    "Body None "
    I have seen Va titles from 1956 with 3 different vins
    Motor ,frame , Trans . For a 1928.
    There are a few states that are a walk in park to get a Vin/Registration.
  16. evintho
    Joined: May 28, 2007
    Posts: 1,687


    He did. To obtain one of the 500 smog exemptions, the car must be registered as a SPCNS.
    I went through the same process 2 years ago with my roadster. I also wrote an article on it and it's pretty much the same thing that Magnus13 went through.
    Technical - Registering as a Specially Constructed Vehicle in California. | The H.A.M.B. (

    Congratulations Magnus! It's really nice not having to deal with a smog check every year and knowing that your car is completely legal!
  17. Pdstark
    Joined: Jun 30, 2020
    Posts: 11

    from Ca, Or, Mn

    No, not if what you have now is as good or better. Drive it and enjoy.
    magnus13 likes this.
  18. cretin
    Joined: Oct 10, 2006
    Posts: 2,913


    Interesting. I asked because when we went through the process with my dads roadster, his car was not registered as a special construction. We were able to register it as the car it mostly closely resembles, which was a '33 roadster. Fiberglass body, TCI frame, ZZ4 crate engine.
  19. XXL__
    Joined: Dec 28, 2009
    Posts: 1,933


    Would like to speak with you about getting some projects around here worked on.
  20. Ned Ludd
    Joined: May 15, 2009
    Posts: 4,211

    Ned Ludd

    You've got an onerous process there — but at least you've got a process! Over here we've got no way to get a non-OEM VIN assigned. I've taken a few tentative steps towards changing that:
    Budget36 likes this.
  21. BigDogSS
    Joined: Jan 8, 2009
    Posts: 893

    from SoCal

    Great write-up, Thanks! As much as people complain about the CA DMV, they are relatively easy to deal with as long as you have your "ducks in a row". I was at the DMV a couple of years ago, and I could not believe the number of folks with missing forms, paperwork or information, etc. Everyone I observed that left mad was basically there own fault.
    I'm glad the the Sate of California has a process to get a vehicle built from nothing to be legally drive-able on the road.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  22. Rramjet1
    Joined: Mar 13, 2018
    Posts: 111


    I was rebuilding a 1932 Ford 2dr Sedan while living in SoCal in the early 90’s. It was titled as a 32but used the engine number for a Vin. I was cleaning the original frame and found one of the original vins on the left rear kick up. Called the Sheriff to get it verified. He was there in 10 minutes and gave me a form with the vin and his signature. Took it to my local DMV and they advised that only the Highway Patrol could do this now. Finally found a DMV that wasn’t up to date to process it. A few month later I took a new job that sent me to Seattle WA. Shipped the car in pieces. At that time the state was a guaranteed title state so they required an inspection of all cars being registered. I took the chassis to the inspection station and they verified the number then stamped the left front on the frame where another vin would have been and said bring it back when it’s done and it will be titled Special Construction. He gave me a pamphlet about Special Construction which among other things required a defroster system. I decided I didn’t want to go that way. By the time I got it running a couple of years later a new DMV classification of Street Rod had been added. Had to be inspected again but found a station known to be less restrictive and got it blessed as a 32 Street rod. WA. no longer requires inspections.

    Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    magnus13 and 19Eddy30 like this.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.