Register now to get rid of these ads!

rebuilding interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53PlymCran, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

So I'm about to reinstall the dashboard in my plymouth, and after that, I'm installing the headliner/carpet/windlace. From what I've read, I should do the carpet first, then the windlace, then the headliner, right?

2. magoo

magoo

I would do the windlace First as in most cases part of it runs up beside the dash and the toothed plates that hold the headliner go on over the windlace.Next fit the headliner and finally the carpet or you will get crap all over the carpet while fitting the headliner

3. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

Before reading the different reference materials I have, that's the way I was thinking. The windlace gets stapled under the toothed metal strips, before the headliner which gets tucked under the strips. And if I did the carpet first, there'd be fibers and fabric crumbs all over the place.

4. Magoo has it right. Windlace first, headliner, then carpet.

When you put the windlace in, just tack it and check the fit of any adjacent panels. Make sure they fit snug enough to the windlace that the stitching doesn't show and the fit is uniform. Then, tack it all down.

Good luck, and if you have some ?s, feel free to PM me. I'll help you out if I can. Oh yeah, post some pics of the finished job.

5. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

I'll try and do before/after photos. I have some of the interior before/after cleaning and painting, and I'll put those up, too. I just need to get the windlace, and make the b pillar panels, too.