Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rebuilding Gauge cluster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodookustoms, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Hey guys,
    I posted this in another thread, but did not get any answers. I pulled apart my gauge cluster since I had my dash out rewiring it. And Im trying to find out what Ford used for a sealer between the glass and the bezel? And what should I use when I rebuild it? Is there some kind of RTV silicon or a thin sticky rubber gasket that I can buy? Its for a 53 Ford Victoria.

Thanks for any help! image-1.jpg image.jpg

2. That old black sticky stuff was a soft rubber product. Sorta like a super thin closed cell foam.

3. squirrel

squirrel

yup...it didn't start out sticky, time and heat did that to it. Cork might be a suitable substitute, it was used in older clusters, 30s-40s.

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Here is a tip. I use a rubber pad that comes from places like Joanns , Walmart etc. it is the craft section. It's closed cell , pretty tuff and costs about a buck for a12 x 16. I have made light gaskets heater gaskets, and vent door flipper stuff. Also I hit it with flame and id didn't burn .

5. Thanks for the input guys. I'll look for something like that at Joanne's. Or I'll get some cork and make my own.