Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuilding engine help !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am rebuilding a 302 with a decent cam .
    My question is what crank & rod bearings do all of you generally use , brand ? I rebuilt many engine in the 70's but we had good American made parts ! Now most is overseas parts and I am unsure on a brand that is good . It's going to be a street car only but will be ran hard when necessary !
    All input will be very help full !
    Thanks !

RetroJim

2. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

3. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

We usually use clevite 77 at the shop and if not it is ACL. Clevites have pretty cood consistancy as far as thickness goes. That's usually something that shows up in cheaper brands and then you have varying clearances and it cuts down on the longevity of the engine.

4. Clevites are fine with me too, just buy something made in the US. Real auto parts should have a few to choose from on the shelf. Years back I bought some mail order bearings that were re-boxed and came LOOSE in the main box. They still had that waxed paper around them which protected them somehow.

Bob

5. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Clevite 77 would be my first pick, second choice goes to Sealed Power. These two brands are about the same price.

6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

TRW...or clevite77....

7. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy

You will have fine service with Federal Mogul, Clevite, ACL or king bearings

8. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Federal Mogul= Mexico
    Clevite= Germany
    ACL= Australia
    King= Isreal.

If you want american manufactured bearings you have to find "old stock". :eek: