Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. You are correct x2. The heads are machined for a second set of tubes and o rings. On a nitro engine with big boost and very high nitro loads a second mag can be helpful. It's hard to fire the cylinder under those conditions. I'm not at that level yet.

The long term plan is to set up the car so I can switch from gas to nitro on the fly. We are looking into using a air conditioner clutch to engage the dual drive. A hall effect ignition with a duty cycle would be used to set the timing. The heads would have the second spark plug hole finished. Then both mag and efi wires would always be connected along with the dual drive. It would be a big challenge to get it working with the fast efi box. We think it can be done. At pri the guys from fast looked at me kind of strange. That's ok I'm used to guys saying you want to do what?

BigDrag, Stogy, David Gersic and 5 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

that would be neat....keeping the unused plugs from fouling would be an issue, eh?

loudbang likes this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How much torque does it take to turn the mags?

loudbang likes this.
  4. i don't think plug fouling will be a issue. the plugs don't foul out now gas or nitro. my combustion chambers are always soot free. for racing I would put fresh plugs in. I think its worth trying it. to make it work would be fun. granted its not practical but nothing else on this car is so it would fit right in. I also think there is the challenge side of things because no one has done this before.

loudbang likes this.
  5. the mag and blower suck a lot of power. they say in a big show nitro car the blower uses up 500hp plus. the mag who knows I never heard a figure for that. I cant turn it with my hand very easy so its using something. regardless of how much they use they make more than they use so its all good. I cant make power without them.

Stogy, loudbang and JimBeam like this.
  6. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

Is that head studs coming out of the bottom of the heads?

7. Yes the 426 based engine have a total of 8 extra studs. They go through the deck into the valley. The intake has to come off to get to them. In a applications were the heads need to come off on a regular basis the o- rings for the blower and manifold are real time savers.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Found this pic while looking thru my old pics yesterday DSCN6359.jpg DSCN6560.jpg DSCN6791.jpg

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

Truth be told, it is and was a bad ass hot rod either way.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  10. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Any updates? I need my nitro hot rod fix!

Seriously I could get back in drag racing if I had the room for it.

Reading your posts helps me live my drag racing needs.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Tonight's nitro tech is all about keeping myself out of a burn unit. When a super charged car burns a piston or pinches a ring or any other condition happens that over pressurised the crank case bad things happen. The pressure can cause gaskets to push out resulting in a loss of oil. If this oil hits the red hot headers a big fire can result. I use double wall headers to reduce the fire risk. The rise in pressure can be very violent. To prevent gaskets from pushing out I use cometic gaskets with a steel core for the oil pan and valve covers. For the ends of the intake manifold the rules require a containment device. It's a simple piece of aluminum bent like a z. The forward edge traps the foam gasket. The other end is inside the engines valley. It's a very simple device. The valve covers have breathers that vent into a tank. The tank has to have a one gallon minimum capacity. Some chassis are designed to be vented into. They have a very specific design. Venting into the wrong kind of chassis is illegal. All the chassis tubes become fill with oil. Not just the main tube. This creates a very dangerous situation because the cars chassis becomes a bomb in a fire. The oil burns in the tubes and cant vent. On the other end of the car I got the parachute cables mounted. I found some real cool cable clamps at a aircraft supply place. They positively hold the cable as it passes through the body. A parachute cable needs to be positively secured at both ends to work right. 20180511_121319.jpg 20180511_121257.jpg 20180511_142125.jpg 20180511_142151.jpg All of this safety stuff has come about over the years unfortunately after someone else got injured.

Woogeroo, bobwop, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Man you are a font of knowledge on this nitro stuff. Keep posting little details like you have been doing I know myself and a bunch of other members are getting a course in Nitro you couldn't get outside at any price. GOOD JOB :cool:

The 39 guy, enloe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

Brian, great info. Does a person need the Z piece under the intake on all blown motors, or is that a nitro thing? Does it take a special gasket for that? Great tech and info thanks. Its getting close to getting the 38 in the garage and tearing it down for a hemi, so more questions are coming.
    Tony

loudbang likes this.
  14. I would think it depends on the style of engine. The early hemis don't need them. I'm not really familiar on non mopar engines. I do know they seem to be a problem on my unblown sbc. They always come out.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  15. I'll bet that saltflats is thinking the same thing I am, which is an A/C clutch doesn't have the holding power to drive a fuel pump and mag reliably. I've seen them slipjust because the A/C was a little overcharged. I would think it's doable though, just using something that engages a little more positively. Maybe a scaled down version of an ARB air locker system or a positive dog type system? Brian, does someone make those intake end seal retainers or did you fab them up?

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. Brian, Is there another intake seal under the retainer also, not just on top of it?

loudbang likes this.
  17. No. The retainer is siliconed to the block.

Im in iowa today machining a five spoke wheel. It has Anglia bearings in it. We are modifying it for Ford's. This was the drivers front from the crash. It was already polished so it's going back on. We couldn't get it done last year. now every thing will match.

I also stopped at harris golf cars in Dubuque and bought a yamaha gas cart. Its painted the same color as the coupe. It needs some gold leaf.

I was greeted by this when I walked into Rogers shop. Its hemi heaven. In the pic is a brad Anderson billet engine. A brand new donovan 417 billet engine. A iron 392 blown gas block and Keith black late model. This is only one corner of the shop. If any one needs a hemi built Roger is your guy. 20180512_115716.jpg 20180512_140939.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  18. Blown fuel we are open to ideas. We are just starting to kick around ideas. That's were we started. We also talked about the clutch set up off a 24 hp lawn mower that engages the blades. I think i miss interpreted Tonys post.

loudbang likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I can't talk right now my tongue is hard. :)

20. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

You answered it perfect, its the answer I was looking for. Thanks

enloe and loudbang like this.
  21. I bought a used Yamaha Drive golf cart on friday. No more pushing the car in the pits or disconnecting the truck from the trailer. When it's on nitro you don't put around the pits. It was a white two seater when i got it. I located a brand new body that's the color of the car. I put that on along with the black seats and roof. The rear seat flips down to haul just about anything I want. I buy and sell a lot of parts so it will be handy at the swap meets. To make it useful at night I put on headlights and taillights. I might letter it in gold leaf with the car number. I had to readjust the governor to my specs. I tried it in the trailer to see how it all fit. I had to modify the trap door that covers the winch. The door stuck up too high and hit the tire. Now I can close it and pull the car in. 20180519_192620.jpg 20180519_192633.jpg 20180520_183423.jpg

Gotgas, drdave, kidcampbell71 and 8 others like this.
  22. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

drdave, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

& it even comes w/a "cage"... :D .
    Marcus...

loudbang likes this.
  24. hemislave

hemislave

It will be tough to find wheels to match the coupe! :)

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  25. Yah that will be a tough one. They do make craiger sst hub caps. I need to find a little moon tank and scoop at the swap meets.

Gammz and loudbang like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was at the US Nationals back in the late 80s or early 90s and watched The Ace drive his funny car from the first turnoff of the track all the way back to his pits.
    There was some comment made about if anyone besides Goodyear man slicks he would be running them.

enloe, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  27. 20180520_163151.jpg 20180520_162955.jpg 20180520_163045.jpg The push rods showed up so it's time to get the heads on. The angle of the valves on a hemi combined with bigger valves and a reduced bore can cause intake valve/ sleeve interference. I have a set of gaskets with a slightly smaller bore than what's required. I put them on and torqued the head. I turned the engine over and felt the valve hit the gasket. With the correct gasket there are no issues. Next I pulled one intake valve and changed the spring to a light checker spring. The head was set in place with no gasket this time. With finger pressure i could feel the valve hit the bore. So this tells me the clearance is too tight. To solve this the cylinder is packed with paper towel. A half round file is used to remove the sleeves edge at 12 o'clock. Not very much needs to be removed. The gasket moves the valve away from the bores edge increasing the clearance. After I'm done filing I vacuum the cylinder to be extra safe to get all the filings. Because I'm using water with a copper gasket a very light smearing of silicone is placed on both sides of the gasket. The new lifters were placed in oil for a few days to lube the axle. No secret info here just normal engine building procedures. Roo and I had a conversation about this topic recently.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  28. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Nice 66 Chevelle.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Thanks. The 66 was my high school car. 327 four speed 410 12 bolt bench seat

30. Recently blown fuel asked a question on the intake seals. I was going over past posts and realised I had not answered his question. There are a few places that offer the retainers. The problem I ran into none of them fit my engine. I took measurements off my block and made some on the sheet metal break. The foam end gaskets come in a few thicknesses. I use the thin ones.

chryslerfan55, saltflats and loudbang like this.