Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Cara I flipped your last pic for the Australians on the HAMB
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey, Woogeroo, els and 7 others like this.
  2. We got it done. The oil cooler will cover it up. For good measure i might paint the added on piece black so it goes away. 20171002_222348.jpg 20171002_222412.jpg

mad mikey, Woogeroo, bobwop and 6 others like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ooh, and you gained some more capacity too. Your gonna need that with the new block, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. we did gain some. I will pull the tank and fill it up to find out exactly how much more we gained. im thinking 1.5 gallons or more. the original fitting from moon required us to have a stepped up fitting. seeing we were having to start from scratch I put the fitting in the lathe machining off the smaller threaded area. on the inlet side I put a nice taper on it for improved flow. the fitting was welded on with no longer having any step up. its very crowded at the front of the car. we had to get creative to fit the tank around everything. we think this should take care of things now. the car is ready to drive to the iron invasion in Woodstock Illinois. if you are in the area stop out Saturday. its held at the mchenry co fair grounds. they have a great auction with all of the money going to a family with a child suffering from a congenital heart defect. this money helps the family while they deal with the financial burden something like this causes. being in heart care I have a special interest in this event and support it 100 percent. to have sick child and have to deal with a financial crisis is something I cant begin to imagine. its a great cause and a great show.

KoolKat-57, mad mikey, bobwop and 7 others like this.
  5. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plus the gate proceeds go to their non profit to give money to others in the same boat.

els and loudbang like this.
  6. Unfortunately the forcast is 85% chance of rain saturday.

els, bobwop and loudbang like this.
  7. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shhhhhhh Don't remind me. I am sleeping in a tent and standing at a gate all day. Come down Friday and we'll put you inside and we can have a beverage together.

8. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plus the rain is only supposed to be in the morning.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

11. Budget36

Budget36

They gotta clean the track after he runs, car is spilling hormones all the way down it.

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Good thing those videos ain't VHS. I would have worn'm out already.

mad mikey, els, racer-x and 3 others like this.
  13. It was cool to wake up to some new video. The second video was a easy liscence pass. It looks like the weather for sunday is 74 and sunny. We are going to union grove to try out the new tank. I would like to go into the off season knowing if we fixed the fuel problem. If we did i might finally get that elusive seven second pass.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

15. squirrel

squirrel

a view that not many folks get to see

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

16. jackalope

jackalope

Definitely one of the coolest threads! Great stuff and keep it up.

els and racer-x like this.
  17. thanks for posting pics and videos everyone. the second road pic looks so cool jim i don't have anything like that. the videos confirm what i was feeling in the car and thinking what was going on during the passes. if you listen closely to salt flats videos the rpm changes can be heard. the rpm spikes then the engine shuts off then comes back to life. it sounds a little bit like i was pedaling the car but i wasn't. i can also hear the rpm while staging is too high. thats why the launch isn't all that great. the rpm is so high the converter won't flash resulting in a lazy launch. on the first pass we blew the burst panel out. most likely from the lean condition. it must have also gotten after the gasket between the blower and manifold. it takes a lot of force to blow out a burst panel. it could have easily gotten a piece of the gasket. the engine was getting extra air from some where and a blown gasket there is a good place to look. we will pull the blower off and have a look. it all makes sense now. with all of this information the proper changes can be made. the engine is talking to us. we are all ears as we try to bring it all together for that perfect pass. we are getting close.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    mad mikey, loudbang, els and 3 others like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We should have put the 360 recorder in it for you.
    Glad what we did get was some help.

mad mikey, loudbang and els like this.
  19. it sure did. i will put the go pro in the car sunday.

mad mikey, loudbang and els like this.
  20. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Brian, good luck on sunday. I'm not going to make Iron invasion either. We'll talk later.
    Tony

loudbang, els and racer-x like this.
  21. Anxiously waiting for Brians updates and sourcing some 35 spline axles and spool for my own project. Should I go with Moser or Strange thats the question.

22. We decided to stay home and work on the car. Its raining and i dont have the time right now to clean the entire chassis after driving in the wet weather. The chassis is raw unpainted chromoly.

Either axle is good i have used them both several times.

mad mikey, els and loudbang like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

If you get time Brian can you tell us exactly what your all doing there. I can see your touching the heads I'm assuming to check for heat. I'm interested in why and what your spraying into the scoop.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. squirrel

squirrel

most likely methanol....

els likes this.
  26. Im spraying alcohol into the engine. Iam feeling the heads for heat. Im also adjuating the fuel shut off to build heat faster. Basically leaning it out. When the fuel goes 100 percent open then i adjust the air valve on the scoop for the idle. We do this under a load. I signal to mark behind the wheel to activate the bruno break. This brings down the idle so i can see what it will be like on the line. Some teams warm up the car on alchohol only then switch over to nitro. Either way works. I just use a little bit more nitro doing it my way.

mad mikey, Stogy, els and 4 others like this.
  27. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Our thoughts on a blown gasket were correct. 20171007_130406.jpg

mad mikey, Stogy, bobwop and 6 others like this.
  29. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Brian;
    I'm going to ask a couple of rather stupid Q's, but I really don't know the answers. Or at least yours, & I am interested in what they are.

On the chrommoly chassis: I get why it's not painted ( to find cracks easier?), but why couldn't it be shot in clear? maybe even in the clear plastic in spray-bombs. Some of that is rather tough, at least for awhile, easily removed & touched up as needed. Other than weight, & the effort involved now that the car is assembled? I also get that it might not last as long as primer/paint(I know nitro's tough on paint/etc, but still....), but at least it shouldn't rust for a long while, which should make maintenance somewhat less troublesome & less time-consuming. No?

Why aren't orings, like say, soft copper or even maybe viton, used under the blower gasket? Or are they worthless to get some more (tighter) clamping force, in hopes of slowing down high-pressure gasket failure?

TIA for answers.
    Marcus...

Stogy, els and loudbang like this.
  30. rooman

rooman

Actually the nitro is pretty benign regarding paint. It is the alcohol that causes the problems. The nitro is hard on Lexan though, especially if there are screw holes where it can get below the hard surface.

Roo

mad mikey, Stogy and els like this.