Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

There's always another weekend and race. Good Luck with the rest of the season. There used to be a popular bumper sticker "Shit Happens" covers all surprises IMO

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Even when the car doesn’t come off the trailer nitro racing is expensive!

He’s probably going to go back together with custom parts falling down that close to you haha.

hope he heals quick :)

3. I still plan on going to the Borchardts show on fathers day.

mad mikey, Tim, 427 sleeper and 2 others like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Praying for a speedy recovery for Mark.

racer-x, Nicholas Coe and mad mikey like this.
  5. Hope Mark is going to be ok. Thoughts are for you guys from here in PA.;)

racer-x, Nicholas Coe and saltflats like this.
  6. Marks ribs were hurting bad today. He got x-rays. Turns out one was broken. Surgery for his arm this week. He says he will be at the out of site race. He just wont be able to do much. I have another crew guy to fill in.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  7. That's a shitty way to start the summer. Hopefully your friend makes a full recovery.

8. Man that was a nasty fall. How did he do that? My wife fell a few years ago in Kansas City leaving a car show. Fractured her right arm, and knocked out 2 or 3 front teeth, as well as lots of bruising. Falls are no joke. He'll mend, but it will take time.

9. We just connected the awning bars to the trailer. Then i go on top of the trailer to attatch the upper rail. Mark was connecting the bars to make the a frame. We always stand on a aluminum table to do this. The pits are
    very rough gravel. He got too close to the edge causing the table to flip. He said he heard it break.

10. Budget36

Budget36

11. spanners

spanners

It might be time to rethink the awning setup. As we get older we tend to not bounce as we did in our younger years. I bought a step stool for shed use because of side stepping off milk crates and other shit.
    Hope he mends ok.

Nicholas Coe and SS327 like this.
  12. SS327

SS327

What about going to an RV awning where you don’t have to disconnect shit from the trailer. They also make them where they have a zip on room.

tomkelly88 likes this.
  13. My awning can handle 60 mph straight line winds. The others cant. I have used them before. It was just a freak accident. I have a step ladder to get onto the top of the trailer. We might start using that instead of the table. I will be putting up the awning later today. This is what it looks like.
    Marks surgery to get a plate installed is next monday. Screenshot_20220622-071013_Photos.jpg

14. vitamindart

vitamindart

ouch, hope he has a speedy recovery.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  15. All set up for the out of site drags. This is a must attend event. I will start a seperate thread on the action. As of last month 350 pre 66 cars were registered. The weather forcast is perfect.
    No one hot hurt putting up the awning. Marks surgery 20220622_194924.jpg is scheduled for monday.

16. with last years disaster fresh in my mind the plan was to make a few easy hits. the first pass it went 8.7 and felt very rich. i had knocked the compression down to 6.5 so this had a big effect on how it was running. for pass number two i put the nitro at 80 percent. it was better to the eighth with a 1.17 60 foor and a 5.03/135 mph pass. still too rich no color on the plugs yet. pass number three. i added 2 degrees of timing for a total of 47. i opened up the main jet from a 110 to a 115. sounded great on the burnout. at the hit number 3 and 5 cylinder went out. still ran 8.0 on 6 cylinders. the plugs still show no real color. so i can add more boost or lead or nitro or a bigger main jet. decisions decisions.

17. marks surgery went well. we are making plans to bring the car to the Holtz Motors show in Hales Corners on the 4th. the barn find 57 vette will be there to.

18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Glad to hear marks surgery went well and sounds like the car is coming around as well wish I could have been there but life has gotten in the way this year and racing had to take a backseat to the family definitely planning on next year being back out racing again

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. What do you mean by "went out"? I assume it means "lost fire" but why? What is the fix? Is it simply a need for new plugs or do you now have an internal issue like a piston with a hole in it, a valve with a chunk missing or a head gasket issue?

20. I dropped the compression by a point. That makes the tune up rich. It just needs to be leaned out some more. There is so much volume with a nitro engine even with a 44 amp mag plugs can get wet. Trust me if you had a hole in a piston or a bad valve you would know it. Each cylinder has a pair of nozzles in it. They are easily exchanged for smaller ones. Dropping cylinders and running 45 degrees of advance or more is very hard on bearings. Yesterday i pulled the pan for a look. The rods were nice and shiny on the upper shells. They were replaced along with the mains. The car was converted for street duty. Its ready to hit some local shows. Georgee Porgies saturday Holtz Motors monday. Stop out.

21. Cylinders are out. The raw fuel can be seen flying out. Screenshot_20220630-064921_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20220627-211447_Facebook.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    chryslerfan55, Jet96 and wicarnut like this.
  22. Screenshot_20220701-162025_Facebook.jpg On six cylinders it still did a 1.17 60 foot 5.0 1/8 and a 8.03/167mph very fat.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    chryslerfan55, enloe, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

& another old trick when a cylinder goes wet / out you can lean pump by hand & 50/50 it will reunite those cylinder/ plugs , then pre stages & go full pump volume, Most of us know there a fine line running Nitro

chryslerfan55 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  24. It was at the hit not on the burnout. Very bad things would happen at wot trying that. I do know what you mean and i have done it.

Nicholas Coe and saltflats like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Brian you are like the big show cars, if it drops one or two you are on for the ride then you reload for the next pass.
    You are living the dream.
    Keep it up.

enloe, Nicholas Coe and racer-x like this.
  26. After the chassis dyno session last spring the car has run hot. Some areas of the fuel map were decreased by 25 plus percent. Now that its tuned and burning the fuel it gets hot To help with the heat during street driving im adding a extra set of fans that will be pushers for a total of 12000 cfm. Im maxed out on water flow. I have a 55 gal maziere pump. The water lines were increased from an -12 to an-16. So im going after air flow. The radiator is large and thick. Im thinking it needs help putting air through it. I have the extra fans mounted. I also reversed the air flow. It now pulls air through the trunks louvers. Pushing it out the louvers may have been a restriction. There may have been a high pressure area over the trunk while driving. You couldn't touch the trunk lid it was so hot. I will wire it up in the morning and try it out in the evening.
    If it was easy everyone would be doing it. There is no you tube video out there on how to tame this beast.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Jet96 and 9 others like this.
  27. now that the car is streetable again its show time. east troy next saturday and at the end of the month the big show in Lannon wi. the car is booked into Symco this year. of course nitro fire ups will be part of all of the shows.

chryslerfan55, enloe and 427 sleeper like this.
  28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Imagine filling a 55 gallons drum in one minute. Now try it through a -16 hose. I think the hose should be bigger.

Dick Stevens and squirrel like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

-24 perhaps? That's 1-1/2", like a lot of radiator hoses

Dick Stevens likes this.
  30. The hose is as large as the largest fitting i can put in the water pump. They dont make a pump with AN-20 fittings.
    There are two lines out of the pump going to the engine. Then two lines out going to the radiator

chryslerfan55, enloe and Dick Stevens like this.