Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Jun 11, 2013.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I found this in my oil pan. It's a piece of piston #5. Do I need to rebuild? Can I just replace that piston? The motor seamed to be running fine, 'till it started running a little rough. After checking timing, and spark plugs, I removed the rocker covers and noticed one rocker wasn't moving, at all. Turns out I had a bad lobe. I have a cam coming in the mail and decided to pull the whole thing out, clean the engine bay and freshen up the engine with paint and new gaskets. That's when I came across what's in the picture. It wasn't on top of all the gunk at the bottom of the pan so it seams like it happen years ago.

Thanks in advance, fellas.
    Art.

Attached Files:

2. Jamoke

Jamoke

Can you say Piston Slap ?? Rebuild it all do it right the first time . I would have to say to much piston to wall clearence machine the block and buy over size pistons

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

What caused the piston to break?

4. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I don't know. I didn't know it was broken till disassembly.

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I would.:eek: If this happened years ago it's probably time for a rebuild anyway.

6. bgaro

bgaro

if your piston is bad, and your cam is bad i'd venture a guess that just about everything else is worn.

7. terryble

terryble
    from canada

You don't say, but I am assuming it is a SBF I have seem a veiw of them with piston chunks in the bottom.

8. finn

finn

My dad's 65 Galaxie 289 cracked a skirt when it was still under the new car warranty, and my Boss 302 cracked all 8 of them. Must be a Ford thing

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

100% rebuild. "patch jobs" are never a good idea, when it comes to broken engine pieces.

4TTRUK

10. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Not a Ford, Fellas. It's a 59 year old Hemi. And my wallet is starving.

11. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

LMAO!

Almost a whole piston skirt in your hand and you're asking if it needs a rebuild.

Yes, it needs a rebuild.

The shiny edges on those broken bits mean that those parts have been getting chewed on for God knows how long. Where did all that metal go? I'd bet money that 100% of it went through your oil pump at least once.

Rebuild the entire engine and just thank your lucky stars that the bits in your hand do not include chunks of connecting rod and engine block.

12. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

That makes a lot of sense but, I'm looking at a rebuild kit at around $2k. That's just parts and gaskets, plus machine shop costs? That's if I do the work, and I'm not that confident. I was hoping somebody here had some other words of advice. Obviously, I'm not a mechanic.

13. Well, you can always temporarily park a small block Chevy in there for a while. They're cheap and mount kits are everywhere.

14. HellzBelle54

HellzBelle54
    from FL

I know it sucks and parts are expensive for those but you will spend that twice in labor and parts if you try and patch the problem. It definitely needs to be rebuilt...just pray like hell no other ghosts come out of that closet when you get it to the machine shop. Good luck man

15. If you short on cash,it might be time to replace the hemi with a sbc or sbf,,,way cheaper than a Hemi rebuild kit. HRP

16. bgaro

bgaro

thats alot'o'doe. there's a cheaper way unfortunately i don't think it involves that hemi.

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

If it runs good, ??? run it. You might get another engine, put it on the stand and start rebuilding it, while your cruising your car.

I will say, There is a rebuild in your future either way...

18. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Plan B is a SBF or SBC. It ran o.k. but, with a ticking noise. I thought it was the valves. Apparently it was a piston slapping around in the cylinder like Jamoke had mentioned. X(

19. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Good idea,...Bolt in a replacement, and rebuild your ailing motor as $$ is available. Item one, ought to be taking the stripped block to the machine shop, have them "tank" it and get an evaluation . Well worth the time, $ and effort.

4TTRUK

20. Not knowing a whole lot about old Hemis, cound the piston be installed the wrong way on the rod? That could break a skirt.

Bob

21. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Piston broke.....Just like all the Indians around here: Pissed-and-broke

22. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I can't tell what made the skirt break. My Pops was a master mechanic, that's how I know a little about cars. He told me the motor had never been rebuilt. Unless it was assembled wrong from the factory. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic.

23. We COULD tell you what you want, but SHOULD tell you what you need. Tear it all the way down ,measure ever thing and hollar at us again. If that one broke, that only leaves seven to go. Which will be first??

Ben