Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rearend question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mac762, Feb 11, 2010.

1. mac762

mac762

I bought a car last week that was supposed to have a 4.10 positraction rearend in it. The price was right and I'll be using a lot of parts on the car for mine, but I was really wanting to use the rear. I'm not out much, the other parts are worth the $ so I'm not too pissed, andhow........
    I jacked the rearend up last night to give it a quick test for posi. I turned the passenger side wheel and the drivers side didn't turn. Seems to me the times that I checked a non posi rear for posi the opposite side wheel would turn backwards? Am I crazy? Is this maybe a posi rear that needs new clutches?
    I'll be pulling the back cover to look in a couple of days, just wondering in the meantime (bored at work).
    Thanks for any help. Josh.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It's amazing how when you're buying - everything is a POSI. The guy that sold the car I built told the buyer it was a 350 ci. with Muncie 4 speed and a posi. The only thing he was right about was the Muncie, I felt bad breaking the truth to his buyer.

3. mac762

mac762

I know the guy. I'm gonna bust his balls pretty good about the posi thing. If I crack it open and it's a 10 bolt BOP rearend, he is gonna have to make it up......:)

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Don't count out a posi yet. How long has it been sitting? I've purchased two positraction rear ends for cheap because the wheels turned the opposite way when checked, but in both cases, it was due to the fact that they had sat idle for so long that all of the friction modifier had drained off of the clutches.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

One wheel remaining still while you are turning the other is common for a non-posi. They don't ALWAYS turn the opposite direction......because, the wheel that didn't turn may have too much resistance in that brake drum and the spider gears just turn the driveshaft instead. If the car has a driveshaft, put into gear (if manual) or park to lock the driveshaft and the other wheel will turn opposite or neither will turn.

Not saying it isn't a posi.............just saying you test wasn't conclusive either way.

Ray

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Pull the cover, take a peek, mystery solved, no more bandwidth wasted.................win/win.;)

Frank

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Easy enough...and you get to look for water, debris, damaged spider gears and chipped teeth while your at it.

What type vehicle did you buy?
    S10 maybe???
    They have a Gov-lock posi that doesn't apply itself until one axle is spinning a couple of hundred RPM's more than the other side, so they act just like an open rearend until then.

8. mac762

mac762

I'll go pull the rearend cover. Sorry to waste bandwith.
    Hey Frank maybe my next post should be a what it's worth, or what color I should paint my wheels/car? Or maybe I'll repost that godamn model thread.
    Or maybe just add to someone elses post, "I threw up in my mouth a little." Or "I'll go get the popcorn." Or "Use the search function."...Jeezus, give me a break.
    Thanks for the help guys. I was just wondering what was going on as every other non posi I spun the wheel on the oposite wheel turned the oposite way.

9. mac762

mac762

It's a 67 Chevelle. It's been sitting a while. I just won't have time to take the cover off for a couple days. I'll let you guys know what happened.

10. mac762

mac762

Yeah, I know. Every smallblock is a Corvette. Every 4 speed is a Muncie, and every rearend is a posi. :)

11. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

one time had a 8inch in my old 54 chevy.put it on jack stands to check if it had a posi well spun the tire back and forth the other would just stay.thought oh well.well a week later sold the car to a friend he reports back its a posi :mad: and told me he made the biggest burnout ever going sideways.:eek: