Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear wheel wells 28/29 roadster on stock 32 frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by louisb, Jan 31, 2018.

1. louisb

louisb

I am looking for a picture of the rear wheel well area of a 28/29 roadster body on a stock 32 frame that has not had the rear rails pinched. Just trying to get an idea of how much cutting of the wheel well is involved to make it work without narrowing the rear of the frame. I tried searching but it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Plus not a lot of people seem to take a picture of this area of the car.

Thanks,

--louis

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm sure this is not news but you (everybody) should also be asking for hard numbers from people that have done this, not just visuals.

louisb likes this.
  3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how we did my son's '29.

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

You won't have to trim the fender well very much, if any, but you will have to cut away part of the subrail outer surface to gain clearance. Mine was rusty in that area so I just cut most of it away and will build new subrail outer sections which will allow the required clearance. You will probably be replacing the rear sections of your subrails to get enough rise for frame rails anyway. Steadfast Manufacturing sells a kit which has the raised rear subrails to make this swap easy. Hope this helps.

new roadster 310.jpg

louisb likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

I thought the slight bulge in the A wheelwell near the front was placed there by Henry so the swap would be easy when he provided the new-and-improved chassis. Does anything on the outer skin really need to be cut away?

louisb and bct like this.
  7. bct

bct

I trimmed mine flush. no need to pinch the rear at all.

louisb likes this.
  8. bct

bct

yes seems like it was made for it. the front of the wheel well is about an inch or so narrower than the body on each side and it slips nicely over the 32 frame .

9. louisb

louisb

Okay great. Sounds like it is not as big a deal as I was worried about. I want to keep the 32 frame stock but also don't want to have to hack up my nice wheel wells.

Thanks,

--louis

10. bct

bct

20170705_220556.jpg

here is the only pic I have atm. I hesitated to post it because it looks like there is interference but it actually fits nice. my drivers side follows the contour of the frame better but that's not the topic...

haring and louisb like this.