Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods rear swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosterslucky, Aug 3, 2014.

1. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

have a 54 ford f-250. I can't get out of my own way and would like to see highway speeds. What rear is an easy swap?

2. 57 to 72 Ford truck is basically the same width and bolt pattern. HRP

3. X2, the newer Ford trucks are as easy swap as you will find. Plus get one out of 3/4 or 1-ton and the 8-lug bolt pattern will stay the same.

4. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't understand. If it won't get out of its own way, then switching to a higher gear(lower numerically) will not help it be any peppier. Switching to a lower gear will help the takeoff, but kill the highway speeds. You can have one or the other, but not both.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I respectfully disagree. I think he is concerned with highway cruising speeds, not acceleration. If the OP's truck currently has an era common 4.56 rear end, then he is limited to about 55 mph with the engine screaming. A switch to a 3.54 rear end, the acceleration won't be harmed and the cruise will be substantially improved.

6. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like you signature line says, physics will win out every time. One thing will gain,one will suffer.

7. Hmmm, What's under the hood? Maybe it's just to tired to get the job done anymore.
    The Wizzard