Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear radius rod location

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckedup, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

I searched....but... I'm building the oddball mid engine belly tank car. The rear axle is a 47 Ford with the axle tubes swapped and flipped so it's a spring in front of rear axle .I cut off the stock spring perches and relocated them inboard a few inches for use with a higher arch spring to suit the build better.
    The stock 47 radius rods bolted to the lower side of the axle/brake flange. The rods are split and can be reworked to clear the spring perches...
    The question ; is it necessary for the radius rod to be located on the lower edge of the axle? Can I locate them on the axle center line ?
    I do want to mount the rods level to the road.
    Some of you guys have actual driving experience with modified sets up on lightweight cars....And yes a mid engine car can have nasty handling at the limit...
    ......Keep in mind this vehicle will never be raced and see limited street use. And it's powered by a slightly modified V8-60..Thanks

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Didn't most (if not all) belly tanks have the rear axle mounted solid to the frame? No spring or radius rods?

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Generally yes when they are race cars. But there's a few using transverse rear springs.

4. I think the Christman A coupe was solid mounted, but not all were...this one had a home built swing axle, torsion bars and friction shocks...center of the quick change was bolted direct to the frame though

[​IMG]

I don't think it matters where on the vertical plane you attach them, but you must have a way of stopping the axle moving forward or back in the chassis and side to side with another way of stopping the axle from trying torque the pinion up or down (rotating up or down) in the chassis.......

i'm sure someone will be along in a mo to set you straight

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm just going to locate the rods on the centerline of the axle tube because it's more convenient for the materials I have on hand.

6. No reason at all, on my T i have radius rods top and bottom. They are only on the lower holes for chassis clearance issues. Cool tank you are building and what its use will be, i may do one with some of my surplus Willys parts. JW

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

Thanks....I been busy messing with the rear spring load rate. Drop in the engine, check the spring compression. Remove it, add a leaf , do it again.