Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear parallel leaf springs on a '32 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryN, Oct 26, 2011.

1. GaryN

GaryN

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Posie's rear parallel leaf spring set up for a '32? I've never seen it myself, other than the pic's on the web site but I'm guessing the springs would be pretty short. Don't know what kind of ride you would get. Any thoughts?

2. Clark

Clark

We put them in a 32 3 window we built and it rides great. There was a little work to make it work with the 3 window floor.

And if anybody says it's not traditional...bullshit. The car we put it under had what looked like 49-51 ford springs under it done in the mid 50's
    Clark

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

It might be traditional, but it's ugly.

Take the Busby 5-window. Everything is right about it except those rear springs. They stick out like a sore thumb.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also puts the heavy part of 2 springs on the axle rather than the heavy bit of one spring on the chassis...controlling unsprung weight is important in a light car with a light tail.

TexasSpeed likes this.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We installed a Posey dual spring kit on the 32 3W coupe my friend built a few years ago. It now has about 6-7 thousand miles on it with no complaint.

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Using Posey's set up on my 32/5w build, it's full fendered, can't see em.

AHotRod likes this.
  7. I used this set up on my 32 roadster and it worked great! Much better ride than any buggy spring.I ran a 760 16 rear tire fenderless and you couldnt really see the springs from the side.

AHotRod likes this.
  8. Could you elaborate on this for me? I've been considering something like the Posies parallel leaf springs, or semi elliptical leaf springs for my '34 pickup, but I could do with some education. Thanks.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Like Clark said I had a 34 P/U that had them from the 50s. I think they were shoebox too. I liked it so much that I bought a Posie kit when I was building my Deuce P/U. My current 34 P/U has an aftermarket spring kit but I'm not certain who made it. I love them.

[​IMG]

I don't think that they look that bad even on a highboy.

10. My sedan has the Posies parallel spring setup and rides great. HRP

[​IMG]

11. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Did it on a tudor chopped years ago worked great little gas tank issue not a big deal geez I wonder where that one is now rode good , looked good

12. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

what a beautiful example of of a 32 Fordoor sedan

13. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I did a Posies dual parallel leaf on a '32 Tudor sedan over 12 years ago and the new owner still thinks the ride is amazing and smooth for the miles that are on the car.

14. My cut down panel thing has a set from Pete an Jake. I think Chassis Eng. Looks good and you cannot see them with the fenders. Can send you a picture if you want.

Attached Files:

15. Krylon's setup sure is nice.

16. Clark

Clark

Yeah I could see them not being apealing on a fenderless car. Looks fine on a fendered car.
    Clark

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A old parallel setup but a great one for a good ride and loads for hauling dirt ,rocks and manure :D no shit

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  18. My old coupe also has the parallel springs but I don't know if they are from a aftermarket dealer are something the previous owner scrounged up. HRP

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. That 4 door is beautiful, HRP, but wow that 5 window is really the "cat's pajamas"! Both very nice examples.

OLSKOOL32 and volvobrynk like this.
  20. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

I have a set of Edelbrock shocks for that setup. couldn't use on my car though.

21. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I have them on my delivery

[​IMG]

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

I bet I'll take some flack for this,......

This is a old Deuce 3 Window I had in the 70's,... And I used ,...... Wait for it,....... 1971 Datsun Mini truck parallel springs for the rear,.... ( you couldn't just buy this stuff back then,.. you had to get a little crafty),.. Rode good, and stuck to the ground really good. I think they were just about the same length as the Posie kit springs. (come to think about it,.. I think they were longer)
    [​IMG]

23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Changed my buggy spring to a Posies kit in 1996, got rid of the "heeling" in mountain curves & the ride is excellent.----I'm sold!

Attached Files:

24. GaryN

GaryN

Thanks to everyone for the replies and the pics. I'm think'n this might be the way I go.

25. RUBBERNECKKIN

RUBBERNECKKIN
    from MICHIGAN

I have been using leaf springs on the Model A, T and 32's for years now. I always am asked how they ride and my opinion is they ride better than a four leaf with coil-overs and much better than transverse springs.

I have had cars with all three rear suspension and prefer the leaf setup. One of the coil-over setups I had was a complete roller chasis I got from Brookville Roadster, and I still prefer the leafs.

Go for it.

I include a pic of the last A Roadster and I had and another A frame I built, but it is OT.

People will tell you they don't work, the springs are to short.....but if leafs don't work, then how come the Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc used them for so long and continue to use them?

The same people that tell you these don't work are the ones who have never had or tried them!

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  26. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,... I didn't want to mention non 32' cars,... but sence RUBBERNECKKIN broke the ice,...

I get a little work in on this one from time to time (in between other projects),.. I'm trying to make it a low down dirty cheap as I can build it "Beater",... I made up the rear suspension out of 1952 Ford F-1 springs,... that will be unpacked by a few leaves. A transverse front suspension with the parallel leaf rear suspension, seems to work extremely well (IMHO and experience),.. And if this bugger ever hits the road,... I want it as low maintenance, well behaved, and user friendly as it can be.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  27. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

Ive got parallel leafs under one of my 5 windows and she rides really well. No complaints but a bit ugly were it not for the fenders covering them up.

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My 32 3W coupe had them on it when I bought it.
    I never drove it with them. They were UGLY ... and poorly installed.
    I threw them in the trash.

:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. AHotRod

AHotRod

I built my chassis with trailer leaf springs 27 years ago, and it's got a ton of miles on it today. My theory was to keep it simple and affordable. Works great!

HRB 039.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have them on my 32, rides great !

AHotRod likes this.