Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear Main Seal 235 Chevy. A stroke of luck? (Revisited)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy48, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Chevy48

Chevy48

Well I finally got around to taking the oil pan off the 235 that was leaking oil like a sieve, and I think I may have lucked out! :D After removing the oil-pan I could see immediately that the rear section of the oil-pan-gasket was not where it should be. You can see a crease where the oil-pan had pinched the rear-gasket-section about half-way (right at the bottom), and was hanging out into the crankcase.

The leaking symptoms seemed odd anyway? Being a full-pressure oiling system (30 lbs strong) it only seemed to leak when I turned the engine off? My guess is, and I would be interested in what others think, when engine is running the oil level in the pan may be pulled lower than the crease? When I shut the engine off, it would then fill high enough to fill the pan up to the gasket leak?

Anyway, I’m going to simply try a new gasket, set it up on my stand, and see what happens? Maybe I got lucky? If not then new rear-main-seal time.:(

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

belt and suspenders. go ahead and change the seal using a finger puller while you have the engine out. JMHO

3. Chevy48

Chevy48

I suppose as changing the rope-seal goes, now's the time to do it, not while upside down under the car. But, I had measured 105+ PSI at crank speed, so I figure we don't need me to screw things up. (If I wasn't so busy, I would probably do it just for the hell of it.)

Right now, if the seal ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it!