Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear engine hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hilljack, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

2. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

not sure I recall him saying SBC, he said small block? There's more than one way to skin a cat. No need for angry face, jeez........ :mad:

3. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Corvair trans.. or porsche 911 box, upside down.. lots of info on both of those cause they use them in kit cars. The corvair has all sorts of stuff bolted to it, including SBCs, Buick aluminum V8s and more. Plenty of adapter plates are stil lavailable. Look up Clarks corvair, or Kennedy engineering for adapters.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

5. You're right, he didn't specify that he wanted the best small block:D ! Just pokin' fun at the Ford guys. I'd rather have a Ford than Jap!

6. hilljack

hilljack
    from new mexico

I would use any small block. I actually have not been using sbc's because they're too common. But I do have a couple of them laying around.

7. From what I've read, Corvair boxes are weak, and Porsche is big $$$. Check V8vair.com for more info. There have been some really badass V8 Corvairs built.

8. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

OH- you meant angry face at Ford, you can always do an adapter to SBC....

9. hilljack

hilljack
    from new mexico

this is great. We're actually gettin somewhere. This would've taken me days on my own. Thanks

10. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

You could always use a more traditional setup, like on my dragster. Here is a pic. 1941 Ford sideshift tranny with a highly modified torque tube. The splines on the u joint at the transmission match the splines on the pinion coming out of the banjo rear end. The transmission mounts right up to the rear end.

Dan Marvin, Owner
    Exeter Auto Supply

Attached Files:

• rail.jpg
      rail.jpg
      File size:
      82.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Maybe you should do a detailed bio, and you'll get more applicable response. If you're a 50yr old aerospace engineer, you may have the $ and resources to use Porsche or Pantera stuff. If you're a young working stiff like I once was, well...

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

I knew a dude who put a 460 in a 61 Econoline ... he ended up with a Drive shaft that basically had just enough room for the Ujoints ... crazy, but he couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground.

13. Cool! Any more photos? Is it finished? How about some TECH posts?!?!

14. loogy

loogy

It depends on what your looking for. Length is going to be your problem so the shorter the better.

Keep in mind that the Porsche 915 transaxle has a dog leg first gear meaning that first is left and back (as opposed to left and forward like normal). Not a big issue but something to keep in mind. Also, for the money you would put into a 915, I think that the Audi transaxle is a much better unit.

Here's a couple of things that you may be interested in:

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/Audi-915/index.asp

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/5000/5000.asp

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/915/915.asp

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/Audi-shifter/Audi-Shifter.asp

15. No suspension-fine for dragster, not so good for street. Maybe try a Corvette rear?

16. hilljack

hilljack
    from new mexico

I'm a young fabricator who's old lady threw his clothes out of the house last week because this car building hair I have up my ass isn't brining home enough bacon. So, basically, a Pantera, ferrari modena or can am race car transaxles are out of the question. It's more like VW transaxle and some bailing wire.

17. Damn, that's rough! If I ever get married, I'm gonna build a custom van just in case...'30s roadsters suck for sleeping.

18. KY Boy

KY Boy

19. KY Boy

KY Boy

Richard, I would agree. On the cheap you could do any engine-tranny combo and a vette/jag rear but I think it would be long bed. The new vettes have the tranny-rear end combo but then were back up in price again.

On another note if you want subaru power it would be REAL easy:eek:

20. Do they come in automatic? Sticks are fun, but I've got a bum left leg:(.

21. hilljack

hilljack
    from new mexico

She's a Drama queen.

22. Wesley

Wesley

Back in the dark ages (late 70s) I helped a friend put a Toronado front clip (engine, transaxle, frame with suspension) in the bed of a Chevy Luv pickup. Later he pulled the 455 olds out and used a Blown 427 Chevy. To get the Chevy bolted up to the Olds transaxle he used an adapter from TranDapt (if my memory isnt completely shot) and made his own front motor mounts. Yes it was heavy using the toronado front frame section, but it sure made the job alot easier. Of course we discarded the toronado steering box and made a bar that went from the center link to the frame to keep the rear wheels from steering the truck.

23. hilljack

hilljack
    from new mexico

To get really whacked here. If I used the Toronado setup I could make the thing 4 wheel steering. How do you figure the Ackerman on that?

24. hilljack

hilljack
    from new mexico

Just kidding, of course

25. Trans-Dapt is the first place I looked, they are still around but I didnt see that particular application. I dont think he wants Toronado, but it would probably be the simplest, most economical, and most available.

26. It would make parallel parking real easy!

27. Finally a thread with 50+ posts that's NOT about a T.V. show!

28. hilljack

hilljack
    from new mexico

I didn't tell you . . . I'm building the car for a tv show buildoff. :eek:

29. Oh shit...better call it a "Rat Rod" then!

30. loogy

loogy

The Audi transaxles? Yeah, lot's of them were auto's.

Here's a shot of a Porsche G50 truned upside down. You can see how high it makes the stub axles. Something to consider if your not planning on having a super low stance. The motor and transaxle would have to be mounted super low in the chassis to ensure correct CV alignment.

http://www.colin.dalzell.com/gt40/enginetransaxle/040412-3.htm