Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear end width for a 32 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickwagon, Apr 6, 2015.

1. hi Guys - I have asked this before and received numerous different answers but here goes again....
    9 inch Ford Rear end to go under a 32 chassis - (chassis not fabricated yet so I can't measure)
    what is the correct rear end width and is it correct that this is measured from the inside of the backing plate to the inside of the backing plate (drum brakes)
    cheers thanks for any help

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

You need to know what wheels, tires and everything else bolting to it before choosing a rearend width. I always put the tires/wheels in the wheelwell exactly where I want them to end up and measure the hub to hub distance.

SPark

31Vicky with a hemi and X38 like this.
  3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Always measure from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.

4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Typically 56 inches face to face. Made mine 55" wanted deeper offset.

5. Andy

Andy

57-58" is a common choice measured from mounting surface to mounting surface. This means an early Bronco for 5.5 and 58 pass for 4.5.
    I run an 8" with one inch wheel adapters to get 5.5.

6. dudley32

dudley32

nova or maverick's used to work good...'40 ford just a tad wide...but I've run 'em...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Look up TCI catalog. they give a width.

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my '32 chassis, with stock measurements, I found a '74-'77 V-8 Maverick/Comet 8" dropout complete. I chose an 8" over a 9" because I have less than 300 H.P., it's lighter, and very good fit. I used 10" steelies with the max backspace and 31x12.50x15 Hoosier street radials. My clearance between tire and body is 1". It looks as though Henry Ford designed it that way. Nice and tucked in. Don't remember exact dimensions, but is within 3/4" of the all-time favorite '57-59 Ford 9". Ranchero and Wagons have bigger bearings if desired.

9. F&J

F&J

exactly....., and nobody asked about full fender or cycle fender or none. How on earth can anyone suggest a width to use without wheel width and offset, tire profiles, fenders etc.

I have a 60" early Olds rear under a full fender 32.....but I needed 56 Olds wheels that had the most backspace of GM wheels. There is no way to run any type of common old mag on mine.

10. yeah ok fair comment..... Model A roadster pickup Hiboy on 32 rails running 15 x 5 steel rims, will juggle the rim back spacing to suit the Rear end - having said that though I would still like to be able to change the wheels in the future if I feel like it..............

11. That's really the best way & The only way to get it exactly how you want it.
    There's ways to get close, but you wind up hunting and compromising and when it's finished there's always some wishing.

Wheels and tires ain't cheap, so buying them before you start is hard to do and hard to wrap your head around but it really is the best way.

12. I like the 66 to 77 Bronco rear axles,they measure 58" and have a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern.

I use 6" rims. HRP

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On all the 32 chassis I build I use a 56 outside to outside width unless the customer wants something else. Done 100's this width.

14. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

The 57 ford because of the center smooooth roooound center, then the 57 ranchero because of the piñon bearing

15. F&J

F&J

hey, let's not start that GD "traditional crap" again....

... just kidding :)

BTW, what is different about the ranchero pinion bearing, compared to wagon? Or are they both bigger bearings than sedan?

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I believe too wide.