Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear end noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tkmark, Sep 23, 2014.

1. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

I have a 50 Chevy Fleetline with 235, 3 speed manual and enclosed driveline. I bought an automatic rear end for it with the 355 ratio, had it "set-up" at a local shop before I installed it. It makes a growl upon deceleration that my 411 original set-up did not. Please let me know your thoughts and or suggestions. Thanks, Mark

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

run it until everything seats and is silent

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What brand gears are they?
    Or are these used gears.

4. stimpy

stimpy

for new gears there is a break in sequence for them , run them 500 miles at varying speeds , no excessively hard accelleration ( hard off the line or engine braking or towing for the first 500 miles , ) then it should quiet down , then change the oil .

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Depends on your definition of a growl.
    Bearings that are damaged growl.
    Gears that are not set up correctly will make a howl or whine type noise.
    New gears and bearings set up correctly should make little to no noise at all.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The OP stated he "bought a 3.55 Powerglide rear end".....I am assuming he purchased a used complete unit. That being the case, I was surprised that he had a local shop "set it up". Does 'set it up' merely mean install it...or did they
    replace bearings and seals, etc.?

I'd start by taking it back to the local shop and see what they say.....then look for a knowledgeable rear axle guy to fix it.

Ray

banjeaux bob likes this.
  7. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Ray is right, used gears and the noise is a whine only on deceleration. After a 15-20 minute drive, the rear axle housing is not hot or even warm. i guess i'll just pull it and get it into a shop that knows whats up. Thanks!!

8. Old car manuals used to have a gear-noise identification chart on them, what noise it makes coupled to what driving condition. That would isolate where the noise is coming from.

9. Used gears into a different housing? That is the problem. You can chase your tail trying to fix it, but it will still make noise. Best bet is new parts and a complete rebuild.

10. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

OK guys, I got the rear end out of the car and it needs a good going through by somebody that knows whats up. I need any suggestions as to who to take it to in the Portland, OR - Vancouver, WA area. Thanks in advance for your help. Mark

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Call Joe at Old Car Parts ... he'll fix you up with a GOOD used one ready to run.

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Just a few words on gears.... a new gear set with new bearings should not make any noise.If they make noise from the start,they will NOT wear in and get quiet.It's also hard to get them to set them up to be quiet after they have been run.

Noise on decel with a new gear set usually means too much backlash.

A used gear set installed with proper tooth contact,backlash,and bearing preloads that makes noise will always make noise.However,that does NOT mean it will not deliver service.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Check with John at Gateway Auto Center on Stark st in Portland Oregon

14. The 3:55 rear end and torque tube from the powerglide car is removed, then installed, as the same unit, into the stick shift car. No fussin' with preloads, gear pattern shimming, etc., just R & R.
    Why the need to have the rear "set up" ? New parts added ?
    Not necessary, under every day conditions.

15. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I got one out my 54 if you want to drive 6 hours each way you can have it. Powerglide so should be 3:55

302GMC likes this.
  16. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Where are you premiere? I'm headed south on Thursday.