Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear end ID help???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chillywilly, Sep 16, 2010.

1. chillywilly

chillywilly

Could all you super knowledgeable HAMBers help me ID this rear end? It's ford 5x4.5 pattern the center section is stamped Ford and two other stamps are: A 'clock' if you will reading from 12 > clockwise 7 9 1 3 5
    and 4J12. All is stamped in the center section which seems removable out the back with 10 bolts. Also... am I missing something or is this thing really 1.5 to 1 ratio????
    It measures 50" backing plate to backing plate.
    Thanks...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That tag bolted to the cover will tell you the ratio.........starting at the hole for the attaching bolt, the left lower numbers will be the ratio......for example: 4 11 or if a limited slip 4 L 11, which would mean a 4.11 ratio and the 'L', if present would signify limited slip. That 4J12 code maybe what you will find on the tag. The upper row of letters/numbers on the tag should indicate ring gear size. I'm thinking it's 7.5, but may be an 8.8. Ranger pickup???

Ray

3. chillywilly

chillywilly

Does the Ranger pick up share the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern? It came in the shoebox that I got and the guy had said 8" but I've heard a lot of guys say a lot of things:rolleyes:

4. squirrel

squirrel

if you turn one wheel one revolution, and the pinion turns 1.5 turns, then it's about 3:1 ratio. You need to turn one wheel two revolutions, or both wheels one revolution, to get the "real" ratio by counting pinion turns.

Wire brush the tag, take a close up picture of it.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, Rangers have 4.5 bolt pattern

Ray

6. 8" Ford rears have a removable center, just like a 9", not an inpection plate like that one.

7. squirrel

squirrel

common rears with the cover are the 7.5 and 8.8", but in the olden days there were a couple others, I think a 6.5 and some oddball one used in full size cars in the late 60s-early 70s.

If you can find an ford "engineering numbers" then it would nail it down...they start with a a 4 character code that specifies the decade, year, carline, and category of part. something like D4AP would be a 1974 full size car powertrain part.

8. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Left hand bottom corner is probably 3.07 (ratio). Top left could be WER-T. Not a good rear for parts availability. Not many ratios or LSDs sold by aftermarkets.

9. nummie

nummie

looks like an 8.8 to me. have one in my truck and one in the parts pile for my willys project. tap on the rear cover. alot of the 8.8s had a composite inspection cover.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  10. nummie

nummie

id pics. 7.5 cover seems to be much rounder. 8.8 has straight sides

Attached Files:

11. nummie

nummie

ok, did some digging through my pics from *gasp* my four-wheeling days. found this. hope it helps

Attached Files:

12. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

looks like an Monarch,Granada Dana rear end.

13. chillywilly

chillywilly

big time! I'm crawling under manana with some really good tips. Thanks I'll post what I find

14. chillywilly

chillywilly

heres what I found on the tag.....
    WER T 4 K D
    07 8 7 570A
    I'm assuming thats its a 8.8 due to square sides - thanks nummie
    I'm also assumong that I am missing the 3 in front of the 07 in the bottom left corner- thanks johnnie
    Any thing else i should know? Thanks all -- Chilly