Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear bumper on a model a pictures?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dawford, Nov 18, 2011.

1. dawford

dawford

Hi,

I am building a Model A Roadster Pickup and want to put a rear bumper on it to protect the rear end.

I also want to install a trailer hitch to pull a light weight trailer.

I intend to suspend the spare tire under the bed behind the rear cross member.

The tires are about 28.5" in diameter. There should be room for the tire and a little to spare for a cross brace for the hitch.

The question is do any of you have pictures of Model A Pickups with a rear bumper?

Dick :) :) :)

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If you use stock model A bumper irons, they need to be extended about 6" to get them out beyond the pick-up bed. I built and extension on the frear frame under the box so I would have something to tie into. I'll have to scan my pictures.

3. dawford

dawford

Thanks 31,

I would like to see your pictures.

I will extend my frame all of the way to the rear of the bed so that I can build a good socket for the trailer hitch.

I plan to build a very light weight wood tear drop trailer in the style of the first ones built before WWII when wood was king, not aluminum.

I will try to make it also look good behind my 30 woodie Avatar.

Any others have any pictures? Please post them along with any good suggestions.

4. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Not mounted on a Pickup...I made these single bar bumpers for my '31 Coupe out of 2" flat steel.

The bumper brackets are original, but could be easily fabricated to any size / shape bumper.

Attached Files:

5. 41 C28

41 C28

I used a legends car bumper on my roadster. Brackets are angle iron.

Attached Files:

6. dawford

dawford

I was thinking about a 28-29 front bumper set up so that the bumper hitch would stick out between the top and bottom sections.

I like the turned in ends of the early bumpers.

I will probably end up getting stainless bumpers as they and the headlights, taillights and cowl lights are all stainless.

That will be after I get the truck built. I have some painted bumpers to get it set up.

I find that after I get a driver then I can up grade parts as the money is available.

Why put off the build to wait for the resources.

If you have any better ideas or any pictures of any bumper set up on the rear of a Model A Pickup please post them.