Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear backing plates

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Jan 19, 2018.

1. With my front brakes lined out, thanks Gimpy for the wide 5 front hubs BTW, I turn my attention to the rears. I have a Chevy truck rear end sitting here out if a mud truck I used to own and swapped to 1 tons under so I'm going to use that as I am now on a time crunch to finish the car. I want to run fins back there too. I understand there's an early 70s Chevy car rear brake setup that will work. Does anyone know what exactly what I'm looking for? What they can be found under, and/or a part number?

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  2. Anybody?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why? if you went to all the effort to put wide 5 on the front would you not put a matching banjo rear end under the car to run wide 5 on the back instead of trying to cobble some rear end that won't fit just because it sits in your junk pile?

It looks like there is a six pin adapter to work on sprint car six pin rears But that setup works with the hub designed for knock off wheels.
    Someone does sell some adapters that work with the 39 wide 5 style wheels but the Speedway adapters use 5/8 wheel studs that aren't going to work with early wheels.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wide-5-Wheel-Adapter-to-6-Pin-Sprint-Car-Hub-Pattern,29220.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only GM car that I know of with 12" brakes was the Caprice, rear with the police/taxi package, or heavy-duty, and possibly the wagon, circa 1975 'ish.

5. Because this car just put on a deadline and that's what I have laying around. I found wide 5 adaptors other than speedway, and covers to hide the adaptors and make it look pretty good. But I'll look for a Caprice wagon rear as mentioned in the photo. I'm gonna have to narrow my truck rear anyways so new axles will be in order so just buying them with the Buick bolt pattern is no big deal.

6. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

BIG CHEVY, OLDS, BUICK WAGONS 1973 TO ABOUT1979 HAD 12" REAR BRAKES THE WAGON WITH THE SIDE OPENING REAR GATE