Register now to get rid of these ads!

really tight steering in 65 f-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by forsakenfew, Nov 9, 2006.

1. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

ok, when i bought this thing last week, it was understood that it was damned near imposible to steer the truck. that's the reason the guy sold it, nice and cheap.

i drove it about 2 miles to the shop, and what i fucking nightmare. i was sore for 2 days. opened the box, full of grease, seems fine. lubed everything underneath. the kingpins seemed really dry.

drove it home tonight. steering is improved, but still HEAVY as hell. how can i tell if it's time for a new steering box?? am i overlooking something like i usually do??

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best way to figure it out is separate the pitman arm from the box. Then try to steer it, that will tell yo if it is your king pins or your box.

Good luck, -Abone.

3. Roorda

Roorda
    from Pella IA.

if you un hook the pitman arm and move the wheels do they move hard and with it unhooked turn the box just a thoght

4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

sounds like a kingpin is seized to the bushing.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

king pins like to seize on them

6. squirrel

squirrel

king pins...my 59 chevy truck did that before I understood about greasing it every 1000 miles like the book says

7. Again.... King pins most likely. Look at your steering box. There should be a nut and a adjustment on there for a flat blade to fit on. Is it screwed all the way in? If not then DONT touch it (only supposed to turn it about 1/4 of a turn) but if it's all the way in then that can be a sign that the box is worn too.