Register now to get rid of these ads!

Really REALLY low profile air cleaners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANDEREGG TRIBUTE, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Hey guys, I would love to see or hear some ideas regarding really low air cleaners or how you got creative to remedy clearance problems. I have no room under the hood of this thing. I have an idea for an air cleaner that actually hangs off to the pass side of the carb, and as I fab it up I will post pictures. But in the meantime, if youve had this problem how did you remedy it. As of now, I have the motor as low as I can get it, milled 1/4" off the intake, and I will probably have to shorten the bowl vents about 1/8" and angle cut them for my idea to even have a chance. Carb is Holley, and standard rise manifold. Help us knuckle heads that dont have the correct shoehorn.:eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm thinking of a tastefully done hood blister.

3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

It seems to me that in the 60's and 70's manifold makers offered a low rise manifold mainly for Corvettes with tight hood clearance. I don't know any details but it might be worth checking into.

4. casper

casper

1958-62 Corvette is the lowest one I can think of. The base drops down over the carburetor.

5. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I'm sure you can easily mill about 1/2" or so off the carb mounting flange on the intake manifold itself to buy yourself some more room for an air cleaner.

6. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks, great suggestions so far, the vette is a possibility (although possibly pricey), and I am contemplating another 1/4" more off the intake. Thanks, keep them coming, God, I hope Im not the only dipstick to try and run a hood on a channeled T. The original Anderegg roadster didnt have a blister on the hood, so staying away from that, but they never ran air cleaners with the hood on either......those crazy kids

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I've seen a couple of Rods that had blowers with custom made air cleaners. Along the lines of what you describe;a side take-off tha placed the filter housing just above the valve cover. This allowed the builder to keep everything under the hood w/o bubbles or scoops.
    Even with a low profile type cleaner, you might have to do some custom mods to make it fit with your engine (traditional). You may also need to swap to a low rise intake as mentioned. Here's a few ideas;

Attached Files:

8. hemi

hemi

9. hemi

hemi

10. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

ya, that would pretty much solve it....:D:D:D wonder if it comes in pale yellow?

11. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

drop down base with a kn top

Attached Files:

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Ok, stay with me here......that shape, but turned 90 degrees, where the oval filter is, that would be filled in and about 3/4" tall, then I found one of those old 6" little chrome air cleaners and that would hang off bottom, next to carb over the valve cover...just dont know if it would look decent.

13. hemi

hemi

14. hemi

hemi

I think they come like this:

[​IMG]

:D

15. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

This might be a dumb question, but can you lower the engine?

16. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I agree with a couple guys here, first, mill off what you can off the intake. Then use a Corvette air cleaner. Nothing and I mean nothing is lower. My wife's '69 has a repro stock air cleaner ( I think I paid $170 for it years ago) but it literally swallows the carb. The bottom of the air cleaner is about flush with the bottom of the carb. With those two you may get enough to work with your space confines.

17. hemi

hemi

Two more thoughts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. hemi

hemi

Summit has a ton of drop base aircleaner bottoms... you could play around with those and some different height filters and a lid.. They get pretty low, shrouding the whole carb.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use early corvette intakes and the 58-62 air cleaner--very short and makes ample room in most cases plus I personally dont like to see the air filter element--the vette ones cover it as well

20. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well as it stands now, I have to build a shallower oil pan and iron plate the bottom of it just to get about 2 1/2" ground clearance, which is what the original car had....who said hot rods were practical? I wish it could be that easy

21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

guys whats the diameter of those vette air cleaners?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of choices here, but there is one awkward question that would truly help and I'm kinda sorry to ask....... Do you have a price range to stick too?
    Some of this stuff can be rather pricey for what it is. Some milling of the intake and the above side draft with the small curved scoops would look way cool if you could work it.

Doc.

23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Ya i was being a bit sarcastic with the "that would solve the problem", your looking at about a grand right there, way out of my league....but maybe it would help somebody else out.....it is pretty slick looking

24. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

bump for the Saturday afternoon guys taking a iced tea break....

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I have a hood on my 27 on 32 rails - I'm running a 289 with an E/brock and a Holley 390cfm - I'm using a small "flame arrestor" for an air cleaner...sticks up about an inch or two - maybe you don't have that much?

dj

26. 117harv

117harv

Make a metal ring with a flat top welded on, say 1 to 1 1/2" tall. Cut a slot along the edge on one or both sides and buy a fishtail exhaust tip for a Harley, fit and weld on the side. You could use one or two of these and when the tip flares into round you can run it forward, down or back. Use one of the K&N filters or run the tube into a lower mounted vintage oil bath air cleaner:)

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  28. daddio211

daddio211

29. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Like others have said early 60's Corvette

Attached Files:

30. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Scored one on the "Bay"........should be here within the week, hope it works