Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Wheelstander underconstruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. abone1930

abone1930

I know what ya mean about the sciatica back problem , mines been with me for about 3 weeks now :(

2. luke13

luke13

top job, like ya battery box.

3. Wow, figured wheelstanders were a thing of the past. Thanks for sharing your build. Look forward to the paint stage.

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more progress.

5. When you get right down to it, isn't everything on the H.A.M.B. a thing of the past ?:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. luke13

luke13

I think most of us wanted to build one at one stage or another , just that this guy actually got round to doing it. good to see it happening.

7. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,just wanted to check in again to say thank you for the nice comments once again.I have been looking at this damn thing for so long,Most times I forget how awesome a machine this is going to be.
    Chris

8. BSL409

BSL409

9. Rem

Rem

Ace. Hadn't seen this thread before, but have just read all the way through it. Again, ace!

10. little t

little t

yes keep up the good work it will pay off this thing will be way cool when its finished and you'r out there getting seen by the way great name you picked out stick with it /keep working.

11. little t

little t

alluminum panels with some black pleated inner door panels for that 60/s look ok get back to work.

12. luke13

luke13

are you going to put a video up for us to watch when its ready to test run?

13. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,it would be nice,but I do not own anything that takes moving pictures. Then again after paying for paint,fuel,oil all with money I don't have,I should think that there should be no capital left to buy something to record with:DAll though maybe I can persuade one of my ever shrinking circle of friends to use a 300$ cell phone to watch my hemi no blow up.
    Chris

14. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello once again, I do apologize for my last response,was a bit sarcastic.Thought by this time in my life I would be building hot rods in southern California,and living in Second Empire Victorian by now:DBut as the Brits say,keep calm and carry on.
    Chris

15. luke13

luke13

no worrys mate. i admire your dedication, id rather spend $300 on my hotrod than on the latest electronic gizmo thats outdated in 6 months anyway.(and made in china)

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Glad to see your still at it Chris, Don't let life kick your ass :D, ,, BTW thanks for all the step by step pics of your build,,, Tim Jones

17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang this thing is just getting Too Cool!
    [​IMG]

I'm watching!
    T

18. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

Thanks for sharing your progress. It's good to see you're still at it.
    Great job on all of it, but I am especially lovin' the perforated flooring!

19. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello.Thank you,it sure does beat drilling 4 million holes with a drill.
    Chris

20. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Evening all,I just figured I would post a new picture or so of my very slow,but very good progress.A while ago I put up a pic of the aluminm front floor(toe board)and will post it again for comparison,to my new front floor.A fair amount of work went into to the first floor and at the time I thought it is was brillant,now the more I looked at it, the more I despised it's very exsistance.
    So I built in my eyes the best floor that more fits the aesthetic of the truck.the center is original A100,more like 80% of A100,sourced from another van,reshaped,and fitted,and having to replace the 3 ribs,(rotted).The floor panel is 16g with my own stamping done like the factory,and the perf. is 18g stamped.Floor is bolted in at all 4 sides ,comes out through grill.Dark spots on perf. is from oil can removal.Also had to cut and change the angle of the top of steering box mt to accomodate the rise in the center,toe board is actually 5 inches farther farword than factory for more leg room.
    Chris

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Fantastic work...maybe this will be the first one I see go down the track...

22. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

COOL Truck !! ever figure out how many miles of weld you have ?? Chris

23. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Good evening,
    The front floor is now finished less some finish weld grinding and sanding.I think it turned out very well and looks like how I invisioned it,strong,light,looks factory and all the holes make it faster:D
    Also I have included a pic of my new wheel,17 inch Howe aluminum ,now will be moving on to finsh welding in the panels behind the front wheel wells.
    Chris

Attached Files:

• ff1.jpg
      ff1.jpg
      File size:
      501.9 KB
      Views:
    • ff2.jpg
      ff2.jpg
      File size:
      496.4 KB
      Views:
    • ff3.jpg
      ff3.jpg
      File size:
      488.2 KB
      Views:
    • ff4.jpg
      ff4.jpg
      File size:
      534.8 KB
      Views:
    • ffw3.jpg
      ffw3.jpg
      File size:
      505.1 KB
      Views:
    volvobrynk likes this.
  24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

25. Wow, that floor turned out great!! No worry about muddy shoes either lol!!

Bill

26. reagen

reagen

sure will be easier on your kidneys and back

27. theace27

theace27

I think I just found the best thread on the board! Great stuff there Chris!

28. Interesting driving styles for different wheelstanders and they all seemed to work, at least for those who lasted any length of time. Some had a window in the floor, some stuck there head out the door glass and looked around the car and some just did as the OP and saw a little ways down the track and judged it.

The builds were all different as well, some mounted the axle solid, some mounted the axle on a swinging arm with the engine and rear mounted to the swing arm and some mounted the engine backward with a V drive and springs.

Different spots for different dots I suppose.

29. Hello Chris. I am also in PA., and think your build is the wildest thing on the board! Hope everything is going well. Hope to see you and this awesome machine in the near future ! Mikey.

30. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,I took a small break from working on it,getting my Triumph Bonne up and running again for springtime?So,here is a page from the wheelstander rule book which is not part of the standard NHRA rulebook,you must call Glendora and request one. The part about foward driver vision is at the top.Also NO body parts can be out side of the body of vehicle or roll cage for that matter.Means no heads out of windows.

Attached Files: