Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Wheelstander underconstruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello once again,I have some new pics as of tonite.Progress is slow but steady,but progress one the less.actually some big additions sine the first photos I posted.Pics should show finished tail gate supports on the ends,parachute mount(can pic whole truck up with that mount)lots more 1/2 inch plate installed gate to rear crossmember,wheelie bar bellcrank mount more steel and gusets, tubing from wheelie bar shock mounts to frame,finished end of gate.
    Big additions of anti rotation/traction bars to subframe and you shold be able to see how big the rear end actually is( empty motor sitting in truck is mock up/spare block and heads
    Good Day Chris

Attached Files:

2. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

Me too! Been resisting the urge to build a Dodge Cummins A100 diesel drag wheelstander for years. Hopefully I will continue to do so. Looks like it's not for the feint of heart :p

Looks great!

vvvvv Pit car? vvvvv

Attached Files:

3. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello everyone,It has been a while since I have last posted or for working on the truck,but alas I have managed to drag my self out to the shop and build something.The NHRA classifies it a ,open driveline explosion retention device,I call it my u-joint cover it is 1/8th inch 5052 aluminum,it still needs some cleaning up and polishing,but 6 hours of my life now gone at least it is done:)I am sick of in and out and in and out and in and out ect......................................with the drive train,that stuff is HEAVY
    Good Day Chris

Attached Files:

4. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Found these on our ukdrn site [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello fellow hot rodders,it has been a while,as real life has been kicking my a##.Alas we soldier on as the English say.Here is more progress.
    Anybody here like disc brakes?The front and rear calipers are for steering and the top caliper is the separate foot operated brake system.All calipers are 4 pistion 1 3/8th bore,6 calipers in all rotors are 12inch vented cast iron,all brackets are custom.
    Rear shocks are front shocks are mustangII and as per application all brackets are hand built and started life as flat 1/4 inch steel.The rear half of the spring is the only part of the sping that works.Questions feel free
    Good day Chris

Attached Files:

6. Cool build I'll keep an eye on this one! Good luck with your build.

7. Now that is a disc brake rear end :eek:

8. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Love the updates. Cool build!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Yep, that's some disk brakes!!! Wow!!

You sure have to think of suspension and chassis systems in a different way for a wheel stander. Very cool. I'm learning a ton from this build!!

Bill

10. afaulk

afaulk

Is it just me.......or do you need a little cheese to go with that whine. HEhehehehe! When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. For me personally, sometimes the hardest part is motivating myself. Then I feel better when I've accomplished something.:p

Straight30weight likes this.
  11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Very interesting thread, Seen these things run a bunch of times never relized the thought that has to go into it,, When you say only the rear of the spring works what do you mean? Might be a dumb question but that never stopped me before, Tim Jones

12. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,I am still on line so I will answer your question.The rear susp. consists of a left and right leaf spring,the engine and drivetrain sit in a subframe.The trans, is direct coupled to the rear via a single u-joint.
    The sub frame is suspended under the frame of the truck with 2 one inch bolts that pivot as the susp. moves up and down,but since the rear of the subframe is bolted to the rearend at the same point where the leafs are u bolted to the rear and the shackle is on the rear of the spring the front half of the spring can not compress or rebound just move in an arc.
    Leaving the rear half of the spring with the shackle live to move freelly as a normal spring about 3/4 to 1 inch up and down.It is not as confusing as I made it sound.
    Chris

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. kennkat

kennkat

:):):):)Hee, Hee, Hee.... :):):):) LOVE IT!!! :):):):)

14. Good Work so far on your REAL Wheelstander!!
    Keep us posted!

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the info , Like I said your thread is showing people there's more to one of these things than just putting the motor in the back, Thanks again Tim Jones

16. kennkat

kennkat

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

17. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks for sharing your build with us. I can't wait to see you with your nose in the air

Good luck
    Bobby

18. Waggin

Waggin
    from florida

very nice, mine is under construction also i have tested it somewhat and moved to a better engine and am in the prepp her for paint stages.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Waggin

Waggin
    from florida

very nice looking progress

20. speedwise

speedwise

I love wheelstanders and your looks to be fantastic. I'm old school; hang the wheels as high as possible. It seems like the east coast guys were into speed and 3' wheelies and the midwest and west coast guys were into height and 10 or 12 second passes. I agree with everyone else, those front mags are great. The ultimate stance will be evil. Will you match those with some spokes on the back? Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Neat is all I have to say.....

22. jratz1966

jratz1966

man I love your build,keep up the good work.Also a must at Hamb drags.

Jratz

23. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello once again. Thank you all for the nice comments. I should have some new progress reports by the end of the weekend,busy with holiday and all.I have never been able to aquire the matching rear wheels when I had the funds avalible.Found the wheels no money,no money mags staring me in the face.I did want 16x13 Halibrand sprints or 16x13 American Bear claws,but with every thing there is a catch,those wheels require a tube and a liner for compition use. the size slicks that I am running r 36x17.5x16 witch are top fuel slicks. Goodyear only makes them for tubeless bead locked wheels. So I have settled and built the truck around a set of Weld Draglites 16x16 that have Champion double beadlocks installed
    And yes it does have a very cartoonish rake

24. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Oh ya,I almost forgot What and where are these Hamb Drags I keep hearing about.
    Chris

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

26. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello fellow hot rodders,it has been a while since last posting.As since I have started a new job and have been adjusting to it,but all is well and I am now getting started back to working on the dodge.
    Past 3 weeks building and finishing my oil pan,from scatch. Pan is 16 gauge steel with 3/16 rails and 7/8 drain plug.It holds 10 quarts ,It also has a removable aluminum windage tray with built in trap door to shield pump. cutouts on the sides of the pan are for the milodon main gurdle.
    Chris

Attached Files:

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Nice work on the pan , Here's the info, Never been there hope to get the car done in time for this year ,Tim Jones http://www.hambdrags.com/

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very nice fab work on the oil pan!

29. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello fellow hotrodders, I have question to pose.I need a piece of truck bed flooring at least 3ft wide by 4 or 5 feet long.I want it to use in the rear of the truck between the frame rails from the shock mounts to about where the chute mount is. I have been looking for weeks now and can find NOTHING that is wide enough in one piece.I have found replacment panels in 16'' 24'' wide but not 36'' or 48''.I do NOT want to take two panels and weld then together down the middle then weld into the truck,that seems like to much unnessesary work since all modern and most all trucks back through the 60s are 4ft well to well, brand does not matter.I am looking for new steel.
    And NO I will not use dimond plate,that belongs on fire trucks and dock plates so please do not suggest it.
    Chris

30. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Reverend, he has Ball's the size of church bell's! Where do you go to learn how this thing is gonna handle? Please tell us or record your first run cuz I wanna here you giggling like a little school girl when you light her up and hit the long pedal! Beep on keeping on, I LOVE IT!