Register now to get rid of these ads!

Real untouched custom from 1955 out of storage since 1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8 6 str8 edge, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Damn.... great thread.

It's really cool to see all the early documents and correspondence. I wonder if the new generation is wondering why all those emails look funny?

2. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Not at all. I'd be honored.

3. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

"Bandwidth exceeded"

Crap. If you see this, upgrade your photobucket account so we can see the pics!

4. 4t7flat

4t7flat

The best thing about this car,is the fact it was built so long ago,WITHOUT A S.B.C..

5. 'Mo

'Mo

The car was featured in CAR SPEED and STYLE (Apr. 1960) sporting nicely frenched headlights.

[​IMG]

6. 2x4

2x4

Great story! Thx

7. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Sorry about the photobucket errors, I'm trying to resolve them.

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I really enjoyed reading about your car ! I did read all the documents from the different exhibitions and car shows that your car was in . It must really be a thrill to have a car with all the history that it has but the biggest thing about the car is you have owned it all the time ! How many shows has the car been exhibited in ? Also is there a p;lace I can read more about your car and the history of all the shows and events that it has been in ?
    It's always nice to see and hear about a car that has lived it's entire life with the same people !
    What a great story and thanks for sharing it with us all !

Retro Jim

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Ya took the words right outta my mouth. I am doing some special display in building #9 called "History of the Custom"
    Read my thread on it and see all of the cars i have approved thus far.

I had a nice long conversation with Tom Sanders today and he was very friendly. I extended a personal invite for him to have his car in our Custom building at GNRS and he's seriously thinking about it. He told me that the top was so old and brittle that parts of it blew off like shredded newspaper on the way home from the car show at Garlits. Dang !

10. You know that is the problem with unrestored cars, like the Cotton Chopper, they are old and things fall off, I know the feeling, but I think they are only original once, if they are completely restored with all new parts & paint, they might as well be a clone...

Good " luck" with Building #9 we will try to make it down in Jan....

11. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Good news. I hope the top wasn't too damaged. I hope you reiterated the importance of the cars "original condition". He might want to make it "better" for such a huge event.

12. RussTee

RussTee

ok so the tops a bit ropey in looks but thats how it was done and accepted "back in the day" a true survior and with the owner builder driving it in my opinion it does not get any better would love to see more just imagine if several of these cars reproduced those early photos as they are now side by side wow unheard of?

13. SHADY FABRICATIONS

SHADY FABRICATIONS

awesome find dude! Wish I could have seen that thing! Thanks for posting. That guy isnt the only one the hamb is alien too,Every show I do here I have to tell people about it? one guy signed up at the show on his I phone!

14. radio_king

radio_king

Cool kustom with great story,hope they try buff it first before a new coat of paint!

15. coupe5w36

coupe5w36

Great story, great car. I wonder how many more are lurking somewhere, waiting to be rediscovered.

16. I think that fact that he DROVE it to the show is the best part of this story. And also that the car is just bad ass too.

17. KATFISH

KATFISH

Ugly is truly timeless

18. How did I miss this thread?

No holds bared!

Nothing like A real Custom job having to "Qualify" for a car show... many kudo's to Tom!

19. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

beautiful car and awesome story. the y block is sweet

20. edweird

edweird

now thats traditional !

21. But it won't make it the same "show car" it is only original once, can't restore anything to like original and make it original, think of the Graffiti coupe, when Paul Le Mat sits in that seat at a show, it is the same exact seat he sat in in 1973, same paint on the door his arn is hanging on.. lots of clones out there of it that are prettier, with better paint and fit & finish but only one original. I love all of the drag car clones, but still nothing like standing by an original and listening to the old driver tell you how each of the nicks and dings got there... thats the real history....just my opinion... ok I'm done...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  22. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

What was the name of that show again?:rolleyes:

23. rgaller

rgaller

My thoughts exactly. He went and ruined a beautiful frontend by installing a Pontiac grille and quad headlights...ugh.

24. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

awesome story,the car is a nice ride,glad to see it preserved.

25. mtpockits

mtpockits

wow ive known Tom for years and did not put 2 an 2 together, he does have some nice rides.

26. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Killer ride! Love old phaetons with tarps :) Also nice to see that Tommy saved all those documents!

27. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

According to the letter above, Tommy and his car was invited by Jerry Anolik,to attend the 1961 Custom Car Spectacular in San Juan, Puerto Rico?? Anyone know what the Custom Car Spectacular is? Was is a custom show in Puerto Rico? I have never heard or read anything about this show before...

28. THOMAS31

THOMAS31
    from DALLAS Ga,

great story....thanks for sharing that !

29. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

According to Tom, the Puerto Rico show never happened. The cars only made it as far as the dock in San Jaun. Apparently there was some kind of riots or something, I'm not sure. Tom said the dock workers didn't know how to move the cars so they damaged several using forklifts. What a mess. If anyone else knows the facts it would be an interesting story.