Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Real Blood Sport: Old-Time Demolition Derby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Part of me always wanted the grounds guys (fire dept., in osme cases) to EASE UP on the water, so guys could get a little more TRACTION!

2. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Thats what i used a lot of! the orange one.74 chevy front bumper,a tire iron and a welder.at a mild mod mostly stock derby with a turbo 400 and a small block chevy,and i will DESTROY stuff with that.
    there one of my favorites

3. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

oh and YES a nice dry track

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

More power!!! Argh! argh! argh!!!

Sure can tell it's FRIDAY nite, eh???

5. motorhead711

motorhead711

NICE lookin caddies. Dry tracks,,,,,,,YAAAAAHHH!!!! I hate it when they wet the track too much. You damn near burn up your transmission just trying to get speed!! Like it when they wet the track once before the derby, and leave it alone. Especially if you draw a later heat, then it's balls to the walls. My brother jokerjason and I will be derbying tomorrow night (Friday) at our local fair derby. Getting excited and can't sleep much. Every time I lay down and try to rest, I keep thinking if I did enough to the car and try to remember if I forgot anything!! It's a damn curse I tell ya!!

6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

lol i remember that when i was younger TOTAL excitement of tomorrows battle!

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sorta like "gladiators" getting PSYCHED for the big, life-er-death SHWODOWN, eh?

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Off the subject, but can SOMEBODY explain to me what the heck the five blue stars (or 3 or NONE!) mean??? I realize it's a RATING system, but I don't get how it WORKS.

9. motorhead711

motorhead711

Well, this is not HAMB friendly, and doesn't have ANYTHING to do with old cars, but damnit, it deals with this thread, and I'm going to say it!!! MY brother (jokerjason) and I for the first time in 15 year won our local fair derby!!! Two good Ol' lakeport boys took it to the out of towners, and we finally won the SOB!! My brother got first in his heat and first in the Main Event, and I got third in my heat and Second in the main event, and won the MASTER OF DESTRUCTION overall points championships for the 3 derbys they ran at the speedway this year!!! I still can't believe it, and sorry if I'm being an ass, but g-damn, my bro and I finally took out the competition after trying to take them out for almost 15 years!!!!! Pictures will follow tomorrow, too drunk right now to figure anything "techincal" out.....take care all derby brothers...

10. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

good job!

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Daaaaaammmmmm good job!

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

MotorHead, you mean you drank ALCOHOL to celebrate?!?! Horrors!!! LOL

Hell, that is GREAT!!! Not just a year, 15 years in the making -- alright!!

CONGRATS to you and your bro -- WELL DESERVED!!!

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Lakeport BoyZ, ANOTHER big pat on the back!!!

A question occurred to me, and maybe now isn't the most logical time to ask it. But, I got to thinking (THAT gets me in a ton of trouble, always!) . . .

Guys get hurt working on their cars ALL the time. And for the most part, we don't gripe. Just patch it up & go on, right?

But, Demo Derby -- like racing -- is a competitive, contact sport. I never saw any serious injuries at the debies I went to (though I saw guys rubbing their necks & backs from the whiplash of a hard hit, plenty!).

Anybody following this thread wintess any fairly serious injuries or health issues stemming from guys clobbering eachother in Demo Derby? I'm guessing that MOST of the "injuries" are internal -- permanently aching joints and like that. In other words, no Purple Hearts for injuries that don't show on the outside.

14. motorhead711

motorhead711

well heres a couple photos of the gold and the ear to ear grins for winning something we thought would never happen!!

Attached Files:

15. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

lol 711 is a friend here's # too i see a silver bullet good taste in beer

and i can't belive they let someone that young run did she kick both your azzes to win that trophy? LOL

16. motorhead711

motorhead711

Yes, she beat the hell out of us!!! Ruthless little girl!! My daughter took that trophy in her room as soon as we got home!! And she won't let me take it yet...

17. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I'll be going on Monday as a matter of fact. :D Always wanted to particapate but never did.

Later,Bill

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

No! Don't do it, man! You'll be HOOKED like THESE guys!!! Sold their souls for Demo Derby! LOL

Ah, hell, go for it. But, I'll bet you'll be addicted!!! Have a blast!

19. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

well unless that young lady shows up and whip's everyone there too!

actually some of the women here don't run powder puff's they run with the guys and can and do win and can be RUTHLESS good drivers!

just remember be carefull, BE PREPARED! Never wrap your fingers/thumb around the steering wheel all the way,use your palm as much as possible.Never put your hands,or arms thru the wheel.do not rest them on the door either.not listening to what i just wrote may/can cost you extremities.Try to keep your left hand at 12 o'clock at all times with 4 fingers half wrapped.WAY easier on the face/chin hitting your hand belive me! do not run the factory seat belt and shoulder harness take the shoulder harness off (cut it) and pull the seat belt ALL THE WAY OUT and tie a loose knot then run it down and get it tight as close as possible to the end that it retracts into(so it cannot go in anymore) i run mine loose but make adjustments to the belt to shorten by knotting.When you hit all the factory belt systems will automatically retract and lock and force and hold you in the seat THIS IS A BAD THING!

:cool:

oh and good luck and have fun!

20. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I guess I should clarilfy my "going Monday". Just going to watch and NOT participate. I have friends doing that. :D

Later, Bill

21. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

i thought ya were running the way ya said that!

:cool:

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

WagonKiller, now THAT is some serious and DEATILED safety hints! Some learned the hard way? Maybe you'll save some guys some pain and injuries! Thanks!

23. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

OH I read it, if just by chance if I get there some day...............

24. Good job motorhead and jokerjason, that's awesome. I've been running for twelve years and have still not won a derby. I've been close a few times, but I enjoy rather to just put the fear of god in anyone who draws my heat. Most everyone around here knows that's what will happen too. Hey, you guys should post some pics of your cars.

25. jokerjason

jokerjason

Thanks man, I'll get some pics up soon!!!

26. motorhead711

motorhead711

Thanks Crashnburns. It was a long time coming man!

27. motorhead711

motorhead711

Ok hambers and fellow derby enthusiasts, be forewarned, with all that talk of derbying old cars in previous threads, I justed wanted to show you a current car that was derbied at the California State Fair Championships in Sacramento, ca. a couple of days ago...like I said, you are all warned!!!

...looks like a 53 buick two door hardtop!!!! YYYIIIIIKKKKEEESSSS!!!

Attached Files:

28. motorhead711

motorhead711

DAMN good technical tips wagonkiller. Right on the money all the way around. Especially the seat belt tip. That is CRUCIAL. Tie a knot around that thing once you've made your adjustments so it can't retract. Once you've crashed a car without making that seat belt adjustment, you'll understand why you will never do it again. Can anyone say, urinating blood?? Yes,that's what can happen.

29. Yep on the seat belt thing. I usually wire mine. This year at our local derby was one of the first times I didn't. The MFer sucked me in, so I took it off when I started to feel like I was gonna passout. A few minutes later I was in the ambulance on the side of the track. Turns out, I half tracked a '75 Cadillac head on kinda on his front D/S corner right against the K-rail. Knocked me cold the fuck out and broke my foot. Happy times.

30. jokerjason

jokerjason

Damn man, thats a fuckin hit!!!!! How fast did you recover from that one???? Later, JOKER JASON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.