Register now to get rid of these ads!

Re-sizing a big radiator to fit a smaller core support

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by maddog, Dec 25, 2011.

1. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Re-sizing a big radiator to fit a smaller core support <hr style="color:#666666" size="1"> I didn't even know it could be done.

I'm cheap and dont like aluminum radiators much.
    I wanted the real deal, brass and copper.

I found a very large 4 row brass and copper radiator from a Suburban almost new. When I held it up to my core support in my 41 Chevy truck, it stuck down below the front axle!
    I took it to the local radiator shop and asked a few questions then to YouTube to see what I could learn there.

Here is what I did-
    1. Heated up the tank at the seam and removed it.
    2. Heated up the header (the plate the tank attaches to with all the holes in it for the tubes in the core) and gently knocked it off the tubes.
    3. Took some measurements and cut about 8" off the radiator core.
    4. looking at the original end I took the header off, I trimmed the side steel pieces that will ultimately mount the radiator a little shorter (they solder to the bottom of the header).
    5. pull the copper cooling fins out from between the tubes exposing about an inch of clean tubes. Cut them off with scissors
    6. carefully clean up the tubes with a pick, knife and a little sand paper so they will slide back in the holes in the header without too much resistance. (they are very soft)
    7. using a dremel I cleaned up any stuff left in the holes on the header. Making a smooth ramp going in seemed to help as well. Its all pretty soft and doesn't take much to do this.
    8. Lightly deburr the ends of the tubes. I did it with a pneumatic right angle sander with a 2" disk 80 grit. I sanded them flat and that took all the burs off but left a very square edge
    9. I then somewhat softened the edges of the tubes with some 240 grit sand paper (by hand)
    10. Put the header back on the shortened radiator. I had to use some clamps to squeeze it back together as the radiator had widened itself by about 1/8". I also clamped a couple pieces of wood to both faces of the core to keep them aligned. Tapping with a brass hammer got everything started then more tapping with a piece of steel that fit between the tubes, I knocked the header all the way back on to the core with about 1/4" of tube coming through the header.
    11. I got a little piece of steel and sanded it to fit the I.D. of the tubes and I cleared and somewhat straightened them one at a time.
    12. take it to the radiator shop and have them move the inlets and outlets and solder everything back together.

The radiator shop guy said he had never seen a better cut job (made me feel pretty good) and it pressure tested the first time (he said sometimes they dont).

Radiator shop cost $80
    My part took about 4 hours

Now I have a super *****en 4 core brass and copper radiator with a trans cooler.

I should also mention I had to cut 1/2" more off because I did not prepare the header well enough or use the clamps I mentioned in step #10......... TWICE! But hey, I learned something and it eventually worked out great.

The core can also be narrowed. the tanks will have to be narrowed by cutting out a section in the middle and overlapping the ends and re soldering.

In all the research I did prior to doing this, I could not find a write up like this. I couldn't even find anybody that mentioned it, so here it is if anyone is interested.

I have some pictures on my camera and will post them if there is any interest.

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post the pics please, I'd like to see them.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Congratulations on a job well done!

Ray