Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Re: How to un-chop a `32 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sailingadventure, Feb 13, 2014.

1. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Very nice work!

2. 343w

343w

I will be using the top method on mine tudor as well, thanks for the play by play, nice job...

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

I dig the car.... but that seat frame is ART. Very nice

4. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Last week was busy at the shop and not much time was spent on the `32, but here are a few pictures of Steve starting to upholster the first seat bottom.
    The first step is to cover the springs with burlap. Then cover the burlap with padding. I bought a heavy duty sewing machine a while back, and now it`s time to learn to use it. That`s about all that was done last week, but I`ll have more pictures soon.
    013.JPG 014.JPG DSC03726.JPG

017.JPG 016.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Since the last post, the headliner and some of the panels have been installed. First the wind-lace around the doors was installed by gluing and stapling.
    DSC03761.JPG

In the next picture Don Fowler is helping to install the headliner. Starting at the back of the car and going forward.
    DSC03764.JPG

DSC03766.JPG

After stapling the headliner to the wooden bows, it was glued and stapled to the sides of the car.
    DSC03770.JPG

DSC03772.JPG

The trim panels were fitted to to make sure everything fit properly.

DSC03773.JPG
    Here are some of the panels before they were installed. DSC03746.JPG

DSC03747.JPG
    We are learning as we go, so it is taking longer than it would if really knew what we were doing. I`ll have more soon.

Attached Files:

6. Thank you for giving credit where credit is due,I have known Buster since the early 70's and his knowledge of all things Deuce is demonstrated in his work not just words. HRP

7. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Here are a few more pictures of the trim panels in place.

DSC03796.JPG
    DSC03797.JPG
    DSC03798.JPG
    DSC03799.JPG
    DSC03801.JPG
    Not all of the panels are permanently installed yet, but this gives you an idea of what it will look like.

kidcampbell71 and dmc3113 like this.
  8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to stop back by. Steve was hog ringing burlap last time I was there. It's coming along great....as I knew it would.

I'm loving that color on your Avanti, too.

9. Looks way more comfy inside than my cramped little Model A. Very impressed by the work in raising the roof back to a handsome height that suits the body style. Can' t wait to see more progress on this.

10. Fogger

Fogger

The quality and progress on the 2-door is beyond compare, it looks more like a very high quality '30s restoration than an old Ford sedan. Absolutely beautiful workmanship, looking forward to the finished results.

11. curious? where did you mount the battery?
    thanks and great work

12. Excellent work and a great looking car; both exterior body and interior! Thanks for sharing the pics and process.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Interior is excellent, from the windlace install to the headliner and trim.
    This is not 'easy work', the finish attests to that.
    Dash and all the interior bracketry compliment the professional workmanship, Duesenberg quality.

14. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

The battery is mounted under the floor on the passengers side of the car.

DSC03264.JPG
    You can see the battery box between the transmission and the frame rail.

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures do not do justice to the work that Jeff and Steve do but, if you are not close by, pictures will have to do. Check out some of their builds on their website and you will get a little flavor for what they do.

These guys are CRAFTSMEN of the highest order, as is Buster. They set the bar really high. One day, I hope to be able to do work half as good as theirs.

16. Absolutely beautiful. HRP

17. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

outstanding work, great eye for detail, and superb fit and finish. True craftsmen at work here.....

18. dtracy

dtracy

Very nice! Please check the wiring on the generator before turning on the switch.

If you have the time and photos, please show the top install again with as much detail as you have. I've replaced a few of those tops using chicken wire, coach wadding, and top material, all over a wooden frame. Never had one blow up, but I can see how it could happen. Using the plywood seems like a good idea to remedy that problem.

Thanks and again beautiful work.
    Dave.

19. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Sorry, but I don`t have anymore pictures of the top installation. I wish I`d taken more but at the time I didn`t realize how many people would be interested in how it was done. The wiring on the generator is correct, the red wire is a ground because we ran out of black at the time. It will be corrected before the car is finished, but thanks for pointing that out.
    Jeff

20. flthd31

flthd31

Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

We've had great results with plywood top inserts on A coupes. We use 1/8" - 5 ply spruce (aircraft stuff), however, we found that we have to do it in pieces with a seam over each roof rib to get the compound curve. Yours look great!

Curious how you will permanently attach some of those small trim pieces around and above the windows?

21. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

The small trim pieces are attached like the factory did it with very small nails. They are nailed through the fabric and disappear once they are driven in.

22. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Dave, After taking another look at the generator wiring and talking to Steve, I discovered that you were right. He had installed the wire on the wrong terminals. It`s now fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Jeff

0628141332.jpg

kidcampbell71 and DamnNearRanier like this.
  23. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Nice work !
    I recently did the interior panels and mounted the headliner in my coupe. It's ain't easy but still fun seeing big result :)

24. Bader2

Bader2

Any pics of the finished seat? Looks like What i want in my Tudor.

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I see that you have wood grained the garnish moldings. Did you do that and if so may I ask what the base color you started with?

26. Harps

Harps

Flat out awesome.

27. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

The seat is still a work in progress. I`ll have pictures when we`re a little farther along.

We`re still looking for the color. I think it was an `70s import color.
    013.JPG 016.JPG

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, thats outstanding work! A lot of good info here. Love the use of the Corvette mount, re-pop corvette resto parts are way under-utilized on "period" hot rod builds in my opinion.

29. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Well, I haven`t had much to post on the `32 lately. Steve has been making the exhaust system for the car while we debated about whether to buy an industrial grade sewing machine since we`ve never done any upholstery work before. I decided that since the `32s interior was coming along so well that I would replace the interior in my Avanti as well.
    We now have ordered a new Consew heavy duty machine and it will be delivered Monday. You just can`t work without the proper tools.
    I`ll post some pictures of the exhaust system as soon as I remember to bring my camera home from the shop.

consew_206rb-5_walking_foot_machine(2).jpg

rockable likes this.
  30. merc53pu

merc53pu