Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BACK AT IT FINALLY!! RE-BUILD OF AN EARLY CHEVY COUPE WITH A HEMI

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31chevymike, Nov 13, 2017.

1. 31chevymike

31chevymike

159.JPG
    Man George, you are providing me with some much needed information on hemis that I was not aware of. So how does the valvetrain get lubricated while the engine is running? Also, what's the point of applying sealer on the block side of the valve cover gasket if there's no oil under the VC's? More unusual is that my hemi engine builder painted the base of the heads where the valve train is with Glyptal to increase oil flow throughout the engine.

mgtstumpy, Stogy, v8paul and 3 others like this.
  2. George

George

Didn't say there was no oil, just not a flood of it. Value of gyptol is debateable, probably more usefull for keeping oil from sticking to surfaces than the speed of recovery. Have you put "Hemi Tech Index" in search? if not you need to.

Stogy, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I did subscribe to the Hemi Index within the HAMB. A lot of great material to be used for sure. Appreciate the scoop George.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Gimme those slicks!

5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yeah, they're decent, but too thin. My pride and joy are the ones to the left of the body: 10" Radir Mickey Thompson Wide Whitewall Cheater Slicks that have NEVER seen the road yet... Need these for the hemi, don't you think Mike?

6. Absolutely!

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I just copied this info from the Hemi Tech thread and will refer when purchasing the valve cover studs: try, clipsandfasteners.com for various grade-8 studs, go to sub heading studs, then exhaust and manifold studs, they have double ended studs for rocker covers 5/16 coarse thread at base 5/16 fine thread at top, 3" long that suit the aluminum rocker covers i manufacture, they have quite a few different lengths available, various other diameters as well, cheap too.

8. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

What primer and paint did you use on the engine? Does it need to be for higher temperatures? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Everything was done at the engine shop - unfortunately, we're not on speaking terms. He did mention that the paint was baked on, using some kind of heat treatment. How it was done so wasn't discussed. I was blown away on the color when I first saw the hemi in his shop with the supercharger bolted up!

10. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

Thanks. I assume the engine would see at least 250 F and maybe even 300 F is some spots. Not sure standard automotive paints can take that much temp. I think they normally bake automotive paints at about 140F in the paint booth. Of course that may be more for protection of the cars rubber and plastic parts and upholstery.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I feel it's easy to say that I will see problems at the exhaust ports on the heads. How this paint will hold up, we'll have to wait and see. I might have more success if the headers are thermo-coated inside the tubes and out.

12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Stogy, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR! It certainly will be for me once I get this chassis rolling again on new rubber!!

Stogy, chryslerfan55, cactus1 and 5 others like this.
  14. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Happy New Year man-

Have you figured out how you're going to mount your ladder bars? Are you going to make the center mount adjustable. The bars I made for the Star Destroyer are forward the center line of the car and I want to make an adjustable mount so you can adjust the pinion angle.

Are you making a set of bars? or buying them? I made an angle iron jig and made my own- if you cut the pieces and had a machine shop tap drill the ends you could tap them and make your own. Then you can make super long ones to lift the front of your car off the ground haha :)

That chevy body is so cherry. There was a guy in Minnesota that built a 32 chev that was chopped and channeled and man... if it didn't look on par or even better than a ford.

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Tuck! I purchased a new center x-member made of square tubing from Speedway Motors, because one, they're not tubular and don't care for the common "street rod" look and two, I planned on welding boxing plates on them with belled holes to match my boxing plates on my rails eventually.

As far as the ladder bars, the front will be attached to the center rear of the x-member like yours and NEED to be adjustable too. I want them to be chromed as well!

As far as the body, she is in excellent shape, having the entire bottom of this body welded with new replacement panels, just need to be smoothed up for paint. I'm gonna need to replace the taillight panel again for a new set of period taillights. What I'm worried about is replacing the wood inside the door pillar where they mount to. When this happens, I want to add steel where the hinge screws go so they mount more solid and prevent the doors sagging in time. Most people at first glance, think the car is a Ford... I feel every manufacture who produced these early bodies are equally cool!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Tuck like this.
  16. glrbird

glrbird

Mike
    Had the same problem with how the roof meets the block wall. Took insulation and rolled it large enough and stuffed it in between the rafters, between the roof and the top of the wall.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I plan to run F-1 pedals in the coupe and I think I can get away with making a k-member with a fully boxed frame... so my ladder bars will mount at the pedals/k-member :p ha... I wanna grudge match this car when were done... :) Meltdown Drags?

18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Sorry glrbird, I don't understand your post...
    You didn't specify which one you wanted to grudge match me with, your coupe or the roadster? It would be ultra rad to run either, but two early 60's style, hemi-powered hot rods with pie cut cheater slicks lining up at the Meltdown Drags would be the ultimate, wouldn't it? YOU'RE ON TUCK!!!!!!

19. ^^^^^Hhhmmmmm.........;) Early HEMI Shootout perhaps?

Stogy, Tuck, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hell YEAH Mike!!!!!! You'll be setting up a grudge match with Tuck before me - I'll race the outcome of your race, or even better, we'll race each other before the end of the meet!!:cool:

21. LOL! Draw straws,pull cards,something........Can't get my ass kicked right off the bat! Gotta keep this amongst friends before"racing" set's in.....Once that happens- forget it,as it won't be fun!

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Tuck and 2 others like this.
  22. hahaha......Mike come to the Meltdown....Chevy vs Chevy! after you hemi boys run:)

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  23. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Remember, you have a weight advantage - and to correct you - YES IT WILL BE FUN!!!!!!
    I am moving out west soon enough - when I do make it to the Meltdown Drags, I'll be lookin' for ya too Jeff!!!! Just remember, I MAY have the blower installed when I get there... :mad: 165.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Speaking of the Meltdown Drags, here's a couple of videos I stole from YouTube just to get your adrenaline going like I had after being called out for some grudge matches:

25. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Couldn't help myself... Here's another one from 2016 AT NIGHT!!!! See what you guys did? I'm all jacked up - where's my girlfriend when I need her the most?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Man... that blower... crap.

I might have a weight and reaction time advantage? o_O

27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You probably would, the hemi and blower are closing in on 1,000 lbs...

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I might have to lay off the hamburgers too... haha :p

Stogy, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  29. glrbird

glrbird

32 chevy.jpg
    At the top of this picture is the wall that you said backs up to another garage, roll the insulation into a large roll and stuff it in the space at the top of the wall in-between the rafter boards. it will keep heat from coming over the top of the wall. Hope I explained this better. I like your project, owned a 31 chevy years ago. like you said, lots of wood

mgtstumpy, Tudor, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thank you very much for this info glrbird - gonna be like an oven in there shortly. Which body did have when you owned your '31?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.