Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattle can repainting window trim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henry's57bbwagon, Jan 14, 2013.

1. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I don't do painting very well, so my schooling will need to begin here. How do you cleanup chipped and scratched paint and then paint steel inside trim with a rattle can. I tried sanding some but they come out crappy. Help!!!

2. Are you wet sanding with a fine paper? HRP

3. slammed

slammed

80 grit, 180, 220, primer. Cured, scuff and spray color in +60 degree temps. Learn the basic with small parts. It will come around if you pay attention and learn from trial and error.

4. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

No wet sanding. Will try on some small pieces. How long should the primer cure? I have the garage set to 65*.

5. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Follow label directions.

Just in case you don't know: Do NOT press the button and just wave the can around.

To use a spray can properly, press and pass over the part in a single straight line staying a uniform distance from the piece. Lift off the button. Press and pass over the part again, releasing after you've completely passed over the part. Each pass slightly overlaps the last. Do this under good light and you'll see the gloss of the newly applied paint slightly overlap the prior pass.

6. Another option, instead of rattle cans, are the Preval sprayers, you can use regular automotive paint in these, even 2K primer surfacers. They spray pretty decently and using "real" materials, I feel that I end up with a better and more durable job that rattle can paint.

7. 55chevy

55chevy

8. LongT

LongT

I was surprised how much easier those handles made rattle can painting! Especially if you have lots of parts or large areas.

Bill

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Did you strip them down to bare metal?

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

The only way to paint small parts like trim. I would never go to the effort to use a spray gun. Get some cardboard and just practice.

11. i do some of this stuff and usually use a coarse skuff pad and sand till done and then use a enamel primer
    which I usually let dry 2 weeks
    lightly sand with finer skuff pad
    blow off
    tac off
    then spray paint with enamel
    actually if you can find it acrylic enamel is realy a great spray paint

i do heat my spray cans on the woodstove hot paint is a good way to spray
    CAUTION using methods like this may cause mess, or expolosion or INJURY
    USE YOUR OWN COMMON SENSE

caution if you are old and have a bad back this may cause medical problems and pain:eek:took a lot of muscle relaxers to get me mobile again

i have been painting seince i was in Nam in 1967 and wanted to learn how
    so i may use some shortcuts but they work for me but it still is a lot of work
    in the 70s i used to paint a car in a day and total cost was $75
    now i am much slower and the cost is through the ceiling!!!!:eek:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  12. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Thanks for the tips. I took the pieces to my buddy's bodyshop and had him do the painting, 100$ and beautiful, and the wife is very happy.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

that's a lot of spray cans but, if the "Boss" is happy. now, you still need to find some part that you can practice the art of prepping, primering and final painting.

14. It's a lot of prepping just to wind up using spray bomb in the end. Spray bomb paint is just not durable enough. In the end you'll be disappointed. Convenient, yes.

15. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I did not spray them, as I said I took them to my buddy's shop to be painted properly.

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

in the good old days we chromed all the trim---25 bucks 56 chevy two door in 1967...