Register now to get rid of these ads!

rarest 32 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Aug 12, 2007.

1. chev34ute

chev34ute

29C5A3AD-E55A-47FB-A488-6E820BF90D7C.jpeg

It’s a myth that Ford produced a sedan delivery in 1932. Look carefully and you will noticed the delivery body was actually made from a Tudor not a sedan. Had Ford produced a sedan delivery it would have looked similar to this Chevrolet.

continentaljohn and rtomss like this.
  2. A Tudor is a sedan. It is pronounced two-door. As oppposed to what Ford called the Fordor, which was also a sedan, with four doors.

Carter, da34guy, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. clem

clem

Admit it - you just wanted to post a picture of a Chevy on the Ford thread............:eek: :D

But I must also admit, that I am one of the few that think Ford should have made their delivery’s from the Fordor, even though the fordor was rarer than the Tudor. ( and 5 window ).

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quoted text...

"The high-power weight ratio and even torque of the new eight-cylinder Ford has already brought it to the notice of the sporting public, and the announcement of a four-seater open body on this chassis make a strong appeal to the many motorists who remain faithful to this type of car.
    Produced by Arthur Gould & Co of 290, Regent Street, W.1., and named the Greyhound, the two-door aluminium panelled body has good looking lines, which are not allowed to detract from the comfort of the seating accommodation. The swaged cycle-type wings, which do not move with the wheels, should afford ample protection from mud-slinging. The low build makes it possible to dispense with running-boards.
    The front adjustable bucket seats have pneumatic upholstery, leather covered, and the seating position is such that the controls are easily reached. The single-pane windscreen is fitted with safety-glass and folds forward when required. Access to the rear seat is gained by tipping either of the front seats. The rear seat and squab are well padded and are just as comfortable as the front ones.
    The car is fitted with a neat tonneau cover and hood-bag and the detail work, carpets and interior fittings, are substantial and well-finished.
    A 2-4-seater, called the Terrier, is available on the 8 h.p. Ford chassis and is similar in design to the larger model. The prices are :-Greyhound £325 and Terrier £185.
    "

https://classiccarcatalogue.com/FORD_GB_1932.html

5. This 1932 Ford Town car was built by Richie Willet from Malden, Mass. He used to rent it out for weddings. Back in the 1970's we had a Ford parts store in Manchester, Connecticut. We bought a B400 from Tom Penney from Maine. We sold it to a guy from Arizona, Frank Pettingill ?. He already had one, but he wanted ours to make one good one from the 2. I saw a 1932 Ford school bus in John Monroe's junk yard in Rockland, Maine. I also saw a long wheel based 1932 Ford panel truck on a car lot in West Hartford, Connecticut in the late 1960's.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    Oldiesmiles and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Wow ! A factory 32 Ford hot rod (Greyhound no less) per London I presume?

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:...'It Positively Stimulates' for 1933...:D

I love the sales pitch and yes, it's across the pond...I will say its interestesting how the Ole Doggie gets tossed around in the Advertising for Ford and alas he ends up on the Radiator Cap...

brady1929, Ned Ludd and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

So is the Greyhound a ‘32 or a ‘33?

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I am going to go out on a limb and say I have due to a seemingly misinformed input at that website the 'CCCatalog' saying in 32 this was offered and though it may have been up for grabs in late 32 it may have been offered as a 33 Greyhound albiet the visual and the parts are unquestionably 32...Further to that the Ads don't specify the Year...

It was not my intention to mislead...

I wonder if any exist any more? Obviously there was 1...

brady1929 likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

5493ACBC-F5F7-4EB5-8B5C-E87A3B4BD913.jpeg A0EBBD81-353C-4D78-BE91-12313C2659B6.jpeg

The first photo shows a ‘31 Model A Deluxe Pickup, Ford built 293 first when General Electric asked for an upscale delivery vehicle and then some were sold to others. The 68 remaining Deluxe pickup boxes were used to build B-66 Deluxe Pickups in 1932.

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1932 RPU was the rare one,----Only 6 are known to us.

continentaljohn and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gettyimages-674694960-612x612.jpg

gettyimages-674694954-612x612.jpg

https://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/1934-ford?assettype=image&phrase=1934 ford&sort=mostpopular&license=rf,rm

:rolleyes:...I found a couple more real deal pics...listed as Jan 33...It kind of reminds me of the Model A situation in 27...were there A's sold in late 27 as 27 Model A's?

...Again do any exist and were any sold as 32's or 33's

Were there any other 33 Fords in GB that shared the distinction of having 32 Ford Parts so visibly obvious?

14. alchemy

alchemy

Way more than 6 are left. At least 7 or 8.

continentaljohn and Stogy like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I used to own a 32 roadster pickup. the Eclipse built by Ray Farhner was a real 32 roadster pickup
    eclipse.jpg eclipse1.jpg eclipse2.jpg

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

brady1929, Hamtown Al and Moriarity like this.
  17. clem

clem

I think there were plenty of unsold’32 Fords , sold as ‘33 and later ‘34 . Some had chrome grilles added to try to sell them. (See the European deuce thread or chrome grille shell threads).
    I find it intriguing that the “Greyhound” above was up and running in November when the actual’32 was only released 31st March in the USA, so did they get aluminium body cars up on a cowl and chassis so quickly in the UK ?
    Maybe it was later ?
    Maybe they were taking orders to use up the unsold chassis’s………

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clem I went back to that site and the November was Typed in and when I saved the pic the text didn't follow...I suspect they misinterpreted what actually may have been...I screen grabbed the ad...note the top right hand corner...

Ford_sport.JPG

https://classiccarcatalogue.com/FORD_GB_1932.html

My initial Info came from this site...I have found no other sources that mention 1932...my apologies...So this shall remain the Car that looks like a 32 is rare as heck and probably sold as a 33 even though there is no record of either other than it was showcased in a Jan 1933 Publication as a Yearless Greyhound

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice try!-------That's NOT a 1932 RPU!

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

badshifter and Stogy like this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

Total production numbers I’ve seen are 593, all of which were 4 cylinder trucks.
    There were fewer Sedan Deliveries built in 1932, only 395, but as I noted above only 68 B-66’s were assembled.
    RPU production was low, but certainly not the lowest by a long shot.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Interesting reading about the Greyhound. I'm not too familiar with the early flathead, but the Greyhound review said it had an oil filter and sported open drive. Is this typical of the early chassis?

Also I wonder what significance there is to the statement that the cars would soon be switching to front hinged doors. How much of the body was custom? Was the Ford firewall and cowl used?
    It does mention aluminium bodywork, which implies it was all aluminium.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

32 rpu.jpg 32 rpu 2.jpg
    I know of one on Maui (saw it in 1998)that was made into a Hot Rod back in the 70's and I'm sure still there.

Here is a pic of one in India a RHD country.

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I should think that the techniques used by an outfit like Goulds would have been quite flexible. They had doubtless been making tourer coachwork along similar lines for various other chassis for some time, adjusting incrementally to changing fashions as they went. Adapting what they were doing to the Ford chassis would have been routine for them, and setting up for a small production run no big deal.

What would the turnaround time have been for bespoke coachwork in 1932? Published back-stories suggest something in the order of 2-4 months even for radical one-off designs — perhaps not counting a longer design/approval phase before the chassis is acquired. To set up for a short run of something very similar to their stock in trade: weeks, perhaps?

WalkerMD and Stogy like this.
  25. About 6 years ago, some friends and I went to Gene Scott's old place in Rosemead, California. Jim Gordon let us look around. There was a 1932ford roadster pickup in the back room. It was only the second time that I had seen one. When I lived in San Francisco ,1956-1958 there was one that was parked occasionally on Union Street, a block away from where I was living.

Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A friend of mine, Bob Knapp(RIP), had a genuine 1932 Ford roadster pickup among his toys that was relatively unmolested. The story, as I remember, is that Bob bought the car when he lived in CA but didn't do much with it as he was very involved in developing real estate in several states and building hot rods and land speed record cars... they held the record for single engined streamliner for something like 25 years... set with a Ford cammer engine.
    Anyway, it sat and sat at Bob's while he was still in CA until a friend talked Bob into selling it to him. The friend lived in either Northern CA or Washington state; I forget. Friend took it home and I don't know what he did with it, if anything, but had it for some time. Bob later decides he wanted it back and called his friend about repurchasing it. Friend said he was not using it so come get it. By this time, I believe Bob had moved to NC... long ways away!
    Bob, in typical hands on fashion, went to get the rpu and loaded it up in the back of a Penske or U-Haul box truck along with whatever else went with it. Now follow closely...
    After the truck was loaded, Bob pulls out his checkbook and asked his friend how much he owed him? How's that for a new way to negotiate price?!:eek: Bob's thinking it is going to be expensive but it is what he wanted and he could pay whatever friend wanted for it and appreciated the friend letting him get it back.
    Friend told Bob to just take it with you... I don't want anything for it from you. You let me have it when no one else would have parted with one of them. Bob tried and tried but the guy absolutely refused any money.
    Bob takes it back to NC and it sat and sat for a long time. That is where I saw it and talked with him about it. Bob very seldom sold anything so I didn't want to tarnish the then new friendship we were forming by trying to persuade him to let me take over custody. In hindsight, I wish I had.
    Anyway, later, after I had moved back to VA; Bob decided he wouldn't get around to the rpu so he packed it up and sent it back to his friend that had given it to him. Bob wouldn't take any money from the friend but did get the rpu back to him.
    I sure wish I had thought to at least get the names and locations straight as I'm sure Bob told me at the time.
    I'm thinking it was a four banger but I just don't remember... dang shame we didn't have camera phones then!!
    That's the story. Not sure just how accurate but I did see the rpu and was certain it was a 32... I MIGHT have even got in it but maybe not as my dimensions were a bit larger at the time!:eek::D:D

Stogy likes this.
  27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

More of the 32 roadster are around then you would except as I know of a guy that has 8 or 9 plus parts to put more together. Plus know of others with parts like cowls doors and bits as well.

Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. George

George

Rarest is probably any 32 that hasn't been rodded...

56don likes this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing like that out on Union now. Just the odd Lamborghini or Ferrari, etc.

30. Enjoyed reading all of this.