Register now to get rid of these ads!

rarest 32 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Aug 12, 2007.

1. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

Anyone wanting to sell their forgotten '32 Cabriolet cheap to avoid the shame of being seen in public in it, give me a call :)

2. Um, I said "kind of forgotten" but I didn't say cheap. Now, when was the last time you saw anything '32 that was "cheap"? :(

Speaking of, I wonder how our quarter of million dollar B-400 is doing over on eBay...

Bluefox likes this.
  3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah...unpopular deuce stuff still outranks popular stuff for most other wheels.

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thanks to all who posted.lot of great info here. one last ? and i'll shut up. what would be the best book(s) to buy for info. numbers and models,maybe with pics? again thanks alot folks. bruce:D

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is the book. A Crestline coffee table book.. Out of print now but a very interesting book if you like old trucks

6. Deuce: 75 Years of the '32 Ford (Hardcover)
    by Robert Genat (Author)

this book is worth having too.

7. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I have a borrowed copy of a vhs tape of the Bob Slack auction. In that tape I can watch my '32 Woodie being sold to the man that I got it from. There was a '34 Woodie in it also. The mountains of stuff in that video are astounding! Heaps and piles of fenders, hoods, grills, etc. A complete radio in the box, several 3 window dashes, etc.

As far as surviving cars go, the woodies are scarce. The guy that I borrowed the tape from tracks these kinds of things, and figures maybe a couple dozen Deuce woodies survive in any kind of shape from rusty crap to good. Mine was a lucky one, it still has 100% original wood. It's a fun driver, and I have taken it out for some laps at the KC Nascar track. With a banger powered top end of 50 mph, those banks feel real weird! I had to turn a bit to the right to keep going left on the track. One spot felt so weird that I dropped down to the flat apron just to be safe. I didn't want to turn my woodie into a toothpick collection. In the picture you can see it marking its spot.

There was a '32 school bus at the same show. I don't know how original it was before the rodding started.
    BobW

Attached Files:

8. I would have to say the B400 or a 32 Sedan Delivery. Both gotta be pretty rare.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There was a "barn car" 32 Sport Coupe hot rod at the Pate Swap years ago at the original grounds(now a housing development). Pate was a good meet for seeing unusual stuff of all years in the Ford line and others as well.

10. tinmann

tinmann

In the late 80's I saw a rare deuce on a farm outside Regina, Saskatchewan. It was a hearse that was obviously coach-built.... but the cowl was roadster pick-up. The grill was passenger car. The wheel base was long like a 1 1/2 ton truck but the frame reveal line went full length. It had double opening doors on the passenger side and barn doors on the back. Very cool, but of course I didn't have the $800 the guy wanted for it.

11. McKee

McKee

Drauz cabrio

Attached Files:

12. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Here's a few from this years Palos Verdes Concours.

[​IMG]32 Panel Truck

[​IMG]German Cabrio

[​IMG]Another German Cabrio

Kurt O.

13. Here's another view of that German cabrio.

Attached Files:

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

B400 owned by Lew & Linda Wolff as seen at the Eyes on Design show this past June here in the Metro Detroit Area.
    [​IMG]

15. Denise,that's a gorgeous car! I've always liked this one too,not sure who's photo it is,plus a couple of cabrios. The one is the Italian one restored.

16. HELLMET

HELLMET

i have a friend here where i live in hemet ca who has a b400 and its going to be a hot rod flaty powered quick change rear. i'll try to get some pics of it. billy

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I was @ the Bob Slack auction. So were a lot of folks. Speedy Bill ( Speedway Motors ) came from Nebraska, Dick Spadaro from New York ... some folks came from as far as Canada. I did not see anything change hands at a GOOD PRICE ... for the time. I was bidding on a decent old Hot Rod Deuce 3W coupe until it went past 40 grand. It went for 45 grand plus the sales commission. This was in the early 90's ... :rolleyes: The coupe had super sheet metal and was complete but needed a complete redo.

There was a guy who paid $350 or so for a single 20 vent hood side and a top. The next item up was a matching color 20 vent hood side and top. He paid $300 or so for it. Problem was ... they were BOTH the same side. At the time ... $350 was about tops for a complete 20 vent hood ... but he had over $650 ( plus the sales commission ) in two sides and tops that were the same and did not have a complete hood.

Looking back, I should have stayed on the 3W ... it would be considered CHEAP today. Like the 32 Ford folks say " You never pay too much for 32 Ford stuff ... you just bought it too early"

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

since this post has came back up i have another?what is the story on 20 vent hood sides? i have read about different number sides but do not know the whole story on how many, and why diff sides? early/late production? v-8 /4banger?:confused:

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

On August the 18th ... 1932
    Henry Ford came out with the 25 vent hood. It was for V8 vehicles going to " warm climates " As a side note ... all sedan deliveries came with the 25 vent hood. All 400 of of the sedan deliveries were built in October.

[​IMG]

I have run my 32 Roadster with a 20 vent hood and a 25 vent hood. The under hood air temperature with the 25 vent hood installed runs 20 to 30 degrees cooler under the hood. I can sit at a traffic light with the roadster when the weather is cool and feel the heat coming out of the hood vents with the 25. Not so with the 20.

[​IMG]

I have one on the 3W coupe ...

[​IMG]

On this above photo of my roadster you can see out open the hood really is. You can see the engine very easily with the vents as OPEN and long as they are.

I cannot tell any difference in the engine operationg temperature on my cars ... but if you have a 32 that is border line on overheating ... the 25 vent would have to help. :)

20. Burny

Burny

Great post with a wealth of info...

I've heard that Ford made the 25 vent sides for warmer climates like Southern California, Arizona etc....

21. Scott K

Scott K

Lew also has a 32 Roadster Pick-up, Cabriolet, Roadster, Sedan Delivery, and a Coupe (can't remember if it's a 3 or 5 window).

22. Here is my coachbuilt aluminium '32 Ford ( the cream one ) The dirty old green one has just recently been unearthed in Sweden.

Attached Files:

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I was just wondering, when I opened the first page of the thread, how many Deuces were sold as chassis, as I knew there were a few supplied to coachbuilders, especially in Germany. The green one above is unmistakably German in style.

Who's the coachbuilder of yours, 34 GAZ?

24. klazurfer

klazurfer

Some where sold as "chassis" only over here ( With engine/ Gearbox , firewall & hood/grille .. ( Passenger & Commercial ) Never heard of BARE chassies sold over here in Nothern Europe ( Denmark , Finland , Sweden or Norway )

Klaz:)

25. What about the deluxe pickup? These were not just a standard pickup with dealer installed cowl lights but were a slab sided truck like the Model A Model 66-A (there were 293 of these built per "The Model A Ford As Henry Built It"). I assume the 1932 deluxe pickup was body type B-66. I have never seen one just a picture taken in 1932. Anybody know their production numbers? To answer Mr. Kings question the best book for production numbers and pictures is the new book "The 1932 Ford Book" by Dave Rehor sold by the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org).

Charlie Stephens

26. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Has any of you ever seen the 32 boat tail speedster that is a one off from ford? This isnt a joke its a real car. I saw it at a fab show down south getting some resto metal work done. I told the guys I wouldnt say were its at but its in the south. I wish I could remember who they said had ford build it for.

27. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Aussie utes. I pulled this one out of Toowoomba Queensland in 1977. It was supposed to be one of 28 built in 1932. The flat sides weren't much more common, maybe less than 100. Mine had less than 10K miles on it and was in perfect condition. These are said to be so rare that the Aussies can't find them in their home land.

Attached Files:

28. I had a Panel Delivery model B that was build in Holland and according to Tony Thackers book only 200 were build outside the USA, so pretty rare but unfortunately it was fallen into (rust)pieces (still have the running chassis)

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe there is a picture of a Deluxe pickup variant in Woudenberg's "Ford in the Thirties" book...I believe the one he shows has the full width body like the A Deluxe pickup, but this one also has in integral steel canopy...there is a canopy roof apparently made as a part of the cab roof supported by pillars from the bed sides. Not a delivery, not a conventional deluxe.

30. i just raise my stated value each year, better than any othe rinvestment i every made