Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rare Pontiac race car found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why would anyone want to put a transaxle under a factory FX car?
    The value of the car is that is one of six factory experimental race cars delivered to select racers and one of only a few to survive.
    This car is just as factory built as any CPO Chev and a lot rarer.

How come every time there is an interesting thread on this board someone has to make a bonehead comment just so he can post something.

2. rev616

rev616

because when it was built from the factory,as a factory race car it HAD a transaxle..the rear end in it now is a later addition.

3. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

There is 3 now. You forgot to include Beswick's restored original "Tameless Tiger". That AWB car was made out of the Little B's Runabout which was pictured in the old article posted in this thread.

4. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

thanks rev.

BECAUSE mr48chev......
    I read the entire post, all the links, and then the entire ebay auction and all those links.
    I did not just look at the pretty pictures,,,,,,,,,
    so here I will post some bonehead stuff for you to read:

To the back of the 421s, the engineers bolted a standard, but empty, bellhousing, out of which came the Tempest's flexible driveshaft, which required drilling and tapping six additional holes in the centermost section of the 421 crankshaft to which the driveshaft would then mount.
    The driveshaft then sent power straight back to the Powershift, a heavily modified Tempest transaxle that used a standard aluminum automatic transaxle case in the front, a modified cast-iron differential carrier to house the ring and pinion, then a second aluminum case bolted to the back of the differential carrier to provide a total of four forward gears. To the back of the second aluminum case, then, the Pontiac engineers mounted the flywheel, starter and hydraulically operated throwout bearing. The transaxle thus became 1½ feet longer, requiring a corresponding notch in the gas tank, which remained in its stock location behind the transaxle.

Attached Files:

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

sheesh that beat my projection by a little less than 100K.....(shakes head)

6. As raced by the ORIGINAL owner/driver is just as important in the world of racecars.

7. Shoprag

Shoprag

I think in the q and a's he says that stan changed the rear end out when he got the car in 63.

earlier I posted, that we've been talkin about he was sellin for his brother in law, we were jokin that he was tellin his brother in law, those guys really loved that pontiac it sold for 4500 and then his brother in law gives him 500 for sellin it LOL!!! That's a whole lot of extra spendin money.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  8. injunnuity

injunnuity
    from Wisconsin

$226,521.00 and change now how much to restore it back to what it was ?

9. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Simply amazing. I wonder now if the buyer is the same guy who spent the $30,000+ on the NOS 69 Trans Am hood? I almost shit with the hood. Last original T/A hood I saw before that was a Carlise back in the early 90's, rotted out across the front for $3500.00:eek:

10. With that Pontiac going for almost a 1/4 million you bet the family that left it in storage are going to put up a fight. Regardless of the brother-inlaw having a title for it.....

11. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Scott Tiemann is THE man for restoring a car like this, but he is not high bidder/new owner. However, Mr T. will most likely get the job from the new owner.

12. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

It's just my 2 cents from a FNG, but restoring this to 'as raced' would be a step down in rareity and a much easier job than coming up with the factory set-up... (not likely after putting this much money into it). My guess is that it will get some show time next summer as it sits now and while the parts are being collected for the monumental task ahead. And if the correct parts can't be lined up, then it'll go back to full race trim. Either way it's one hell of a car. (make that 63 cents.)

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

He was using 3 different sniping sites. If you use them, you find out they don't always work and there is nothing you can do. So he covered his ass by using 3 different programs and they all worked this time. You learn to use more than one sniping site at a time when you lose an auction because they went down and the winning bid is a quarter of what you are willing to go.

I guy I know uses 2 sites but if he's home at the time, he will try timing a last 5 second bid himself on top of it.

14. Scott is the million dollar judge man !!!! >>>>.

15. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Well interesting thing on those worthless pics.there all of the pontiac.

did anyone notice the vin tag? Has been ground down and rewelded on.

i have seen these things come off before but didn't look that rusty around that area to me cept for where they ground it.i think i would wanna see some other #s off that thing somewhere else on the body. especially if i paid over 200,000 for it.

16. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

My understanding is the buyer is someone else, but he will be bringing the car to Scott for the restoration. He restored the George Delorean SD Lemans along with several SD Catalinas, so he knows them as well as anyone.

17. Why would that be fair? :confused: Maybe the guy that sold it is a charity case and could use the money to take care of himself and his family in the future.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I'll have to eat my words on that one. The photos I remember seeing showed the cars with the big traction bars and big car rear ends. Time to go dig out the old Hot Rod and Pop Hotrodding mags from 63 and take a look.

19. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Scott has alot of experience restoring these aluminum front end cars! it will be done right for sure. I was there when he just started on the White SD Wagon project a few years back. I got to handle an aluminum hood, it was like picking up a 30 pack of empties. I was told that the owner paid to have tooling done for the correct radiator as there were only a few of them made, just like the Transaxle. 50 some K in tooling just for 1 radiator! He also had the correct Shifter Indicator cast, and paid to have the dies made for the interior panels for 1 interior. He is the foremost restorer of the 62-3 Catalinas, also restores a mean 65 GTO. The wagon and a few other SD Cats were sold off at the Mecum Auction Last year I believe. The owner passed away from some kind of cancer and Scott was there to represent the cars for the Family. Ill have to make the trip to Portland to check it out.

20. Velomech

Velomech
    BANNED
    from nunya

Open mouth, insert foot.

Oh, and most importantly, which one of us one the POOL? I went as high as 101K so,I know I lost...and the winner is........

Cheers and beers
    Hodge

knotheads likes this.
  21. Damn!!!!!!!!!! In my opinion, the entire Pontiac division of GM isn't worth that much,,LOL. Sheeeeet guys,,,somebody got fucked I think

22. repoman

repoman

Here's my little piece of 63 SD history, a forged "990" crank. I've collected a few prices over the years and sold everything off.

I remember looking at those pages of McCarthy's book and dreaming about finding that coupe. I'd like to see it put back to as-raced when that photo was taken, and before the front end was swapped. leave the dents in the bumper!

Attached Files:

23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

And that comes from someone who drives nerdy Studebaker trucks ?!?!?

24. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I've got a set of "306" heads and a SD block, hmmmmm...................

25. $226,000! I'm still in shock.

26. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Well from the looks of the guy that bought it.He is a heavy hitter.He seems to be a Pontiac Guru.Just went through the buyers feed back.Dosent look like he is messing around.He seems to get what he seeks out.

27. axle

axle
    from Drag City

He is the real deal. He purchased a Ram Air V 1969 Trans Am from a buddy of mine. This car WILL get restored to its original "out of the factory" condition and will be shown at Pontiac events throughout the nation. I understand he tried to purchase other SD cars in the past and was unsuccessful many times,this time however, he went out and looked at the car personally,made a cash offer on the spot,was turned down,then had to go home and make sure he was the high bidder. Good for him. I didn't think it was going to go for this much but it is a very historically significant car.

Axle

28. How about dumb shit who could have "Buy it Now" for $4000 passed on it at $2,999.

His ass is puckering!!

29. monsterflake

monsterflake

i wonder what the cash offer was? is the seller kicking himself thinking he was gonna get a $600,000 bid?

did i miss it, or was there a title or ownership dispute with this car?