Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ramchargers/Chrysler History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyShope, Aug 23, 2018.

1. 4tford

4tford

Good to hear your thoughts from back then. I've been a Ramchargers fan since 1962 from seeing the races at Detroit dragway. Retired from Chrysler and enjoyed working on the Viper and Prowler vehicles. The 60's era really gave Chrysler a big boost because of the likes of the Ramchargers and Golden Commandos. One reason I got a 63 dodge right now.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. BillyShope

BillyShope

As I've said before: The biggest Ramchargers' mistake was made when they ceased to be a car club and became a corporate entity. A AA/FD has absolutely nothing to do with the goals of the original Ramchargers. A beautiful dream has died a horrible death.

loudbang and saltracer219 like this.
  3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Billy I cannot agree more. The other sad point with the Ramchargers as a corporate entity is that those present day owners of cars that may have some history with the Ramchargers must pay a pound of flesh to the individual that now owns the name-if they wish to use the name. The great cars that ran under the name be they labeled Ramchargers or whatever else they may have been called, if we could turn back the clock, were some great mopars that deserve to be remembered in a positive light IMO.

loudbang and saltracer219 like this.
  4. BillyShope

BillyShope

I've tried again to change my URL. It's supposed to end: "shopeshop.org" Let's see what happens

loudbang likes this.
  5. BillyShope

BillyShope

Whatta ya know? Now that nobody is following this thread anymore, I finally got it changed!!

loudbang likes this.
  6. BillyShope

BillyShope

Unfortunately, you're not taken to http://shopeshop.org/
    Of course, I don't know if this link works until I post and try it. Here goes!

loudbang likes this.
  7. BillyShope

BillyShope

No, it doesn't work. It's still confused with that "earthlink" nonsense. Sorry. I'll try and fix it.

8. BillyShope

BillyShope

I see I've been trying...since Page 1...to change these things. I guess it was not meant to be.

9. khead47

khead47

Call me nobody !

loudbang likes this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Another "nobody" here! Reading every post when I find time. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  11. saltracer219

saltracer219

I really love this history, thank you!

loudbang and upspirate like this.
  12. frank spittle

frank spittle

Billy, I had a conversation with Jim Thornton at one of the early Super Stock Reunions about why they quit racing. Jim said it was for safety reasons. He recalled running off a track at almost 170 mph in the stretched nose Dart as being the final wake-up call after safely coming to a stop. I'm sure you remember him running the first eight second run ever at 160 mph in the '65 altered wheelbase Dodge a year earlier. In my opinion the cars at that time were way to flimsy to be running those speeds. I believe it was a good call. However, I admire Dan Knapp for carrying the Ramchargers name to another level with his AA/FD and Funny Cars that became much safer with new NHRA rules.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    wraymen and loudbang like this.
  13. BillyShope

BillyShope

14. BillyShope

BillyShope

OK, I think I've fixed everything. I can remember my student number from the fall of 1951, but I can't remember if I fed the dogs this morning.

15. BillyShope

BillyShope

I'm about to give up for tonight. I just seem to be making things worse. Don't laugh! This'll happen to you when you reach your eighties!

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  16. scotts52

scotts52

It works for me.

loudbang likes this.
  17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

loudbang likes this.
  18. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In this chart...what is ment by stall torque ratio?? 20181011_070641.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  19. BillyShope

BillyShope

This is saved in my "signature" line: https://www.shopeshop.org/. Why it isn't showing up in my posts is beyond me. During my working years, I learned virtually every computer language that came along, but I have problems in this forum. Trivia: In the fifties, the computer at Chrysler filled a room, but had fewer abilities than your pc. I put a number in the wrong column of a hollerith card and the computer was down for a couple of days. A very primitive problem!

midnightrider78 and loudbang like this.
  20. BillyShope

BillyShope

The converter torque ratio is constantly changing as you accelerate. The stall torque ratio is that which occurs when the input torque is at a fixed (industry standard) value. It's been a while, but, as I recall, it's at 200 foot pounds input.

midnightrider78 and loudbang like this.
  21. BillyShope

BillyShope

Just noticing your 'vette. I had a '54 and a '56. Had 4.11 gears in the '56 and wasn't beaten at Cordova in the stock class until those nasty 283s came out!

loudbang and jimdillon like this.
  22. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, can I assume this means...if the S.T.Ratio is 2 to 1 and the input torque is 200. The trans is seeing 400 ft. lbs.? Or am I looking at this all wrong?? Please remember I am not an engineer, just a dumb old fire engine mechanic. Trying to find, maybe better ways to pick the right parts for my old coupe.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Probably unrelated, but my email notice for this new post was red flagged with this possible scam warning message. Hadn't seen this on any previous email notices.

ScreenShot01.jpg

Maybe your site or the server is missing some sort of a security setting?

loudbang likes this.
  24. BillyShope

BillyShope

The OUTPUT is 400 multiplied times the transmission gearing. Remember: Chrysler offered models with the torque converter ahead of a manual transmission. Both the fluid coupling and the torque converter are hydrodynamic drives. The torque converter has a stator which gives the torque multiplication and which also free wheels to prevent the efficiency from falling back to zero.

25. BillyShope

BillyShope

Probably a hiccup. Haven't seen this before. Thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Clicking the [https://www.shopeshop.org/] link takes you to a site that shows that same exact address for the URL at the top of the browser window.

If you click the [http://shopeshop.org/] (without the s at the end of http) link it redirects and opens a site showing the [http://home.*arthlink.net/~whshope/] URL in the browser. I've altered the link above to make it inactive.

The "https" prefix indicates an added level of security and encryption for the URL. The plain "http" prefix and the redirection of the link to a different address is probably what sets up the red flag in my email client (Mozilla Thunderbird). I don't know if it might also have some effect on how the link works on the HAMB or other websites.

loudbang likes this.
  27. cw

cw
    from Midland

Did you work with Fred Wiggins?

loudbang likes this.
  28. SR100

SR100

If you delete the link in your signature from your profile, then re-add it with the correct address, it should eliminate the earthlink.net address. Sometimes the edit function doesn't change the link properly.

ClayMart and loudbang like this.
  29. BillyShope

BillyShope

OK, here's a Mulligan. We'll see what happens.

loudbang likes this.
  30. BillyShope

BillyShope

Name is familiar, but it's probably because someone mentioned it here. Changing the subject: I've been eating some kielbasa lately. My student assembly plant assignment was at Dodge Main in Hamtramick (Sp?) and I was invited to a polish home for dinner. They even had a kielbasa soup (and, it was very good). At the time, the area was heavily polish. Window signs in the area were in polish. Now, I understand the muslims have taken it over.

loudbang likes this.