Register now to get rid of these ads!

Raising a coil sprung front clip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PKap, Jun 28, 2013.

1. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I just bought a 46 ford unfinished OT street rod styled coupe. Got it cheap, going to finish the way it was started and flip it to raise money for my truck. The builder installed a Camaro front clip and a cougar IRS, all done well, but it is too low.
    I want to raise the nose about 3/4" to help with clearance and I was wondering if there is a quick and easy way to do this. I used to run spring rubbers in my 70 cutlass rear in the 80s to raise the back end. I know NASCAR always uses them, can I use spring rubbers on a street driven front suspension? If not, what is my next best option? I don't want to bag it.
    Thanks for any suggestions, Paul

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

longer springs. I went through several pairs to get the right ride quality and height I wanted from camaro clip that was in mine when I bought it.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, longer springs.

4TTRUK

4. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

If I want to add about 1" ride height, what is the difference in unloaded spring height I should look for to get into the ballpark? Is there a rule of thumb or formula or is it a guessing game?
    I am always amazed by how much it drops cutting 1 coil.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

im watching this one also. my wagon has dropped mustang 2 spindles. going back with stock and changing the springs. to what I don't know. hell I don't know where to even start on the spring question.we have a old school parts store here so I may just take mine in and say I want to go higher, get me there! he is the best around here,i know because I worked with him for a few yrs when I was the best...lol

6. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

somewhere to start is just by counting how many coils are in your spring, it is possible that someone cut one out and maybe all you need is a new stock height one, and even if it is still stock remember that the springs do "settle" over time, so by just replacing the coil in general will bring up the suspension at least for a while. other options would be a heavier weight spring for a bigger engine or racing application. im going trough the same thing with a falcon right now, there is less than an inch of travel, not because someone cut or tried to lower it, just because the springs are shot, and hell im not only trying to get it stock im trying to get it nose up haha.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Find you a set of coils out of a factory bigblock car .That will give you the height you need.

8. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

spacers under the coils will work fine---less hassle and expense...

9. Back in the 60's we used knuckle busters. HRP

10. ...put a couple of those big coil spring donuts under the coils,(one under each coil) should do the trick.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

find a GOOD front end guy and talk to him. I went through several options. I started with big block camaro,not heavy enough (caused diving while cornering) and too short--thus scrub issue.

Went to what I think were ate 60's/early 70's lemans. Fixed ride height and dive issue (although it needs/needed a bigger sway bar)--BUT it rode like a school bus.

New springs (and I can't remember what they are) are perfect for ride quality, but In lost some on the height so I've got a little scrub right now with 15's up front (had 14's before). I'm going to a custom offest wheel to fix that because I don't want to mess with the quality of the ride now. no dive--still needs a bigger sway bar at high speed.

that was a lot of backstory to support find a good front end guy and talk to him. I'll see if my guy remembers what we ended up with.

then there's always a spring rater and measuring tape...

022551]If I want to add about 1" ride height, what is the difference in unloaded spring height I should look for to get into the ballpark? Is there a rule of thumb or formula or is it a guessing game?
    I am always amazed by how much it drops cutting 1 coil.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad[/QUOTE]