Register now to get rid of these ads!

"RAINED on" looking paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Jul 10, 2007.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

I need to see pics and /or tech articles for the kustom paint job that looks like it just rained on your car. I am by no means a bodyman/painter so put it in easy to understand words. I think my 65 electra (full kustom) would look great with a Winfield styled GOLD fade paint with this rained on treatment. I'm going to call it "The Golden Shower".. Yes, I searched the tech archives.

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'm Not Quite Sure I Understand. Like If It Was Dirty And Had Some Rain Make It Kinda Muddy? Or Rain Looking Spots In The Clearcoat?

3. I am guess its not the "golden shower" that I am thinking of.:p :p

4. budd

budd

i`m not sure of the whole process but i have seen tech articals, you have to spray water on your car and then spray paint on it, as the water dries it makes the water spots. theres more to it then this i`m sure.

5. leadsled01

leadsled01

Yes, I think you are on target. I believe I saw it done on TV one time, maybe biker build-off or some shit like that.

6. leadsled01

leadsled01

Right on !! I love to play with words.

7. WHY would you want it to look like THAT?

8. I have an article on this in an old book "The Art of Custom Painting" circa 1976 by Metalflake Inc. in Massachusetts. I don't have a scanner, but I have taken a few rather scabby digital photo's of the article for you.---Brian

Attached Files:

9. leadsled01

leadsled01

Thanks, Water drop painting may come up on a google search.

10. leadsled01

leadsled01

Just a cool look, like your car just got rained on. Its a kustom thing.

11. Exactly! You might want to look up bird crap paint, fresh tar on the road paint, industrial toxic spill paint and bad sneeze paint with extra loogies, horse shit and cow chip paint, exploding outhouse paint, B52 paint, kid chocolate hand print paint, Tom Sawyer paint (you get your friends to do it), etc. etc. etc. Just start your own fad.

I guess I don't get it.

12. leadsled01

leadsled01

13. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe you don't get it, but why do you have to rain on his parade?

I crack myself up.

14. This old Metalflake catalogue has the most amazing shit in it that you can imagine. I was into the hotrod and van painting craze in a big way in the mid 1970's, and bought the book new at that time. I never tried the "water drop" painting. but did try mumerous other custom painting techniques with a fair amount of success. This book may still be available, if metalflake is still a viable company. The author was Carl Caiati "The Psychedelic Psycho" and the address in the book is Metalflake Incorporated, P.O. Box 950, Haverhill Mass. 01830. It is a really great book, with a lot of extremely good 'how to" articles, complete with step by step instructions and pictures.

15. Perhaps someone with a HAMB name like "GotRust" wouldn't have the ability to appreciate the concept of any kind of painting:eek: :eek:

16. dbu8554

dbu8554
    from Vegas

actually saw it on Overhaulin Chip Foose did it on a ford ranger it was basicly from what i understood he painted the car then used a squirt bottle with the mister on it and then shot it with clear i think or maybe a slightly darker color i am not a paint guy but i am sure you will be able to find it online

17. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

why dont you paint it with tons of clear and let it run like a bitch and pretend the runs are water running off your car! seriously though, I get the idea behind what you are going for but typically paint and water are a horrific mixture. fish eyes, blems etc.....if your car is a nicely done custom I would go out and buy some quarter panels and start testing before shooting anything on your car, spraying pearls is hard, I cant imagine spraying clear over my just wetted down car, something seems amiss there.:(

18. marodder62

marodder62

My dad has been custom painting since 1956.He used to do "raindrops", which looked especially good on the roof as part of a panel. What he would do was thin the paint out alot, remember this was laquer at the time, but I've done it with the modern basecoats, close the fan on the gun, hold the gun maybe 2-4inches away from the panel, pull the trigger and don't let go. The paint would hit the surface and start spreading out from the air pressure and would make this really cool raindrop looking effect. You could make them large or small depending on how long you help the gun open. He did this on numerous vehicles in the 60's.
    Jerry

19. In the book the affect created by what you just described are called 'Freak Drops".

20. leadsled01

leadsled01

Sounds cool. Do you have any pics? You do side work? Your in my neck of the woods. Your Dad still have his shop in this area??

21. marodder62

marodder62

He's in Elyria Oh. Jerry's House of Kolors. Used to be Jerry's Auto Body way back when.

22. Crankhole

Crankhole

Does anyone have any pics of this? I'd like to see what you're talking about. Sounds interesting.

23. Anyone can do whatever they want with their car. They only have to make one person happy. I just don't understand why someone would want to make their car look like it just rained on it, or why some people jump on every fad that comes along.

If you want a paint job that looks like it just rained why not drop globs of clearcoat over the horizontal surfaces? You could chill it to make it thick and just let it drip off the paint stick. That would last a lot longer than paint sprayed over water. Or you could just stand back and piss on it every once in a while. If you use this method be sure to drink plenty of your favorite beverage.

Here's the paint on my car.

Attached Files:

24. marodder62

marodder62

Brian, are there pictures in this book?

25. It is difficult to get good pictures of a glossy page with my digital camera, but yes, here are "freak drops".--- and in a way, I do agree with GotRust---a little bit of custom paint work does go a long way. This type of psyhcedelic" custom painting is best confined to small "accent panels" or motorcyle tanks.---It can, if applied to large areas, turn an otherwise nice car into the "circus wagon" look.Brian

Attached Files:

26. budd

budd

the water drops dont stick up like a drop of clearcoat would, it just gives the illusion of a water drop, i dont recall where i saw it but you have to look close to see that the paint is flat.

27. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Freak Drops" are super-simple....hit your area with a quick blast of paint, grab your air compressor and hit your spot up...bam....'Freak Drop'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. leadsled01

leadsled01

FLAMES.. now thats original.

29. leadsled01

leadsled01

So you think that doing an entire car would be too much?

30. leadsled01

leadsled01

I did a google search but did not find anything. Anybody know of this episode or have pics?