Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Radius the Rear Fender Wells OR NOT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Feb 23, 2014.

1. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

in the day enlarged wheel openings had a lot to do with changing tires for flat towing not looks...

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Radiused arches were done to make fat tires fit.

Yours already fit.

3. Isn't that a four door? If so, doesn't that mean radiusing would destroy the jamb structure for the back doors?

Oh, and I like them tucked.

Steve

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is (was) a four door but it has become a two door with some cool top chopping moves etc. You can see the entire build thread here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859106

But to answer your question, the actual door jam follows the wheel tub...

[​IMG]

5. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

7. slammed

slammed

radius,, tire hanging out 1"+. Photo shop it without any art, stickers, ect as a blank Shiny black canvas. Those flames are too modern.

8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

IMO: Radiused wheel wells, big fat wheel tubs and big offset wheels don't work together. The entire package needs to be planned out or it will still look like a confused pro "gasser" street

9. sadsack

sadsack

no way sadsack

10. 33hotrod

33hotrod

this to me, is the only way to go! Bad ass look! You can always go with old quarter panel if you had to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just my idea. Ya need to cut!!!!

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Cut 'em. The dinky wheel well makes the fender look fat . If you ain't gonna cut 'em, put fender skirts on it.:D

12. I'd open 'em up in a heartbeat and let those sidewalls bulge out the sides a little. It's a HOTROD!

13. stimpy

stimpy

for "era correctness" and with Pie crusts , cut them , to me looks wise with a wrinkle wall marshmellow tire I would leave them .

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn´t radius them... as stated before not every gasser back then had straight axles and radiused wheelwells, for practicabilty´s sake it´s probably making sense to cut them open... I´m lazy and I also like them tucked aswell as open, so I´d leave them unradiused.

15. norcal rizzo

norcal rizzo

Id like to vote radius. I think maybe because it takes some of the staunch from the back, itll still be wild either way.

the metric system? never heard of it.......

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Cut it or it's a pro-street car.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's true, but show me very many that were nose up with a straight axle that didn't get radiused in the back? This car already has everything, BUT the radius.

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright the answer is in...(BOTH)! No not one side tuck and the other radius...LOL! I just completed assembling the rear end and with the wheels bolted up it measure 58" outside tire to outside tire. The factory wheel wells measure 59.75"

[​IMG]

So for now (and to get it on the road etc.) I am going to tuck them because I really like that look BUT since I have 3" studs on the Mosier axles, I can easily put an inch or so spacer behind them at any point and just make it outside the body at which time I will radius the wheel wells as I have always planned!

19. X-2, I hate the gasser front pro-street rear look, like the car and owner are confused. What it really looks like is a pro-street car owner jumping on the latest fad being "gasser" and jacking up the front with no regards to ascetics. my .02 ...ha ha

20. cut cut cut cut.....cut, there did my 5 votes change your mind:D

21. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

My question would be, if you leave the fenders like they are how are you going to get the rear tires off? It does not look like there is enough room to slide the wheel off the studs and still be able to work the tire from behind the fender. I ran into that problem with my car when the rear fenders are on it. I have to remove the rear fender to take the tire off. If you radius them that would solve the problem unless like suggested earlier you make a removeable fender skirt. Just my 2 cents. Awesome build I have been watching it from the start. Good luck.
    Bob

22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't worry, at some point I will Radius them, as that has been the plan from the very beginning. However, with the swooping body line of the Somerset running all the way back through the rear quarters, I really like the tucked look. AND I decided not to call it a "Gasser" anymore.

Since I am not running a Hood and several other issues from the "Gasser" rules, I decided to call it a "Competition Coupe". See section four of the 1964 NHRA Rule Book...

[​IMG]

I mean everyone and their brother is building a "Gasser" these days. I have not seen anyone building "Competition Coupes"...LOL! Dare to be different!

23. indianhead74

indianhead74

Generally I think that radiused fenders done well are Gasser musts, but that little car of yours has such a cool body line carried thru the fender so it probably needs to stay original.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

Competition Coupe is a whole different animal in most people's eyes.

[​IMG]

But you can sure call it what you like. :D

Radius, btw.

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know...that was kind of tongue and cheek. Just stirring up trouble...LOL! I thought it was funny (in light of the topic of this thread) that in the rules it actually said I was allowed to run my tires inside the body! LOL

There is actually an original Austin American (Austin 7) sitting on my show room floor right now...I can't tell you how hard I am fighting taking a torch after it!

26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Easy, just depends on the "era" you're modeling after..!

60's, open'em and roll the edges.
    If more modern, leave th eouter fender intact.

Mike

27. Larry T

Larry T

Maybe not.

Attached Files:

28. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Radius them and bring the tyres to be just past the openings

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit