Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radio's in your traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Feb 4, 2010.

1. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

My uncle did something pretty cool in his '37. He has speakers hidden behind custom kick panels, an amp with subs in trunk hidden, and one usb wire under the carpet from the amp for an IPOD connection. He did a real nice job.

2. ericshoebox

ericshoebox

"The engine is the only radio i need" is BS. Nothing better then your favorite tune and and clear traffic ahead. Thats just my opinion though. And if you cant hear it over your pipes then you need a better stereo!

3. Reverend_Jack

Reverend_Jack

I just ordered a RediRad the other day. I like that I can bolt it to the back of my radio and run it. My 53 Merc has a hidden dash ash tray that is perfect for resting my Ipod in. Now I've just got to replace my stock speakers and some tubes.

4. olds vroom

olds vroom

im putting one in my ride...have to have those gas pedal mashing tunes!

5. You are the bomb. That's almost complete enough for a tech-week post. Cudos.

As for radio or not, I guess it depends on your 'period'. By the late 50s, there was an aftermarket mobile-audio industry that was growing by leaps and bounds, even though most of the stuff they sold was not as good as the best factory installed stuff of the late 50s. Who where they selling to, if not hot rodders? Most hot rods were raced or cruised (or both). Those that were cruised got lots of attention for a great sound system. I'm betting there were even 12V record players well before 1964. Heck, Barris built at least 1 car with a TV in the dash before 1964, if I remember right, and Starbird built more than one.

Personally, I think modern radios look like crap, even in a modern car, but if there were CDs and black plastic Pioneer radios in the 50s, you better beleive they would have used them (maybe hiden them because they are ugly). I'm a big fan of the retrofit jobs, like Boldsmobile's. Back in the day, most hot rodders used the most modern of everything (that they could afford). Even if it was ugly.

6. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I am going to put amps and sub in mine. The sub is going to be hidden in the space betwwen the frame Z and the rear panel. You wont be able to take it out without dismanteling the body, running tunes from my Iphone

[​IMG]

7. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

That is one of the nicest interiors I have seen in a rod, & in one of the nicest looking rods I've seen. Would love to see more of it.:)
    Bobbyd

8. Joe G

Joe G
    from Minnesota

1932 was the first year that American automakers offered radios as a factory option. Aftermarket car radios were available as early as 1927.

9. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

I might take my cd player out of my 49 chevy.

10. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

With an open exhaust, bias-ply tyres, and the wind blowing through your hair in a open roadster, who an hell could hear a radio!:eek:

All ya need is a sweet little thing sitting next to ya whispering sweet little nothings in your ear!:rolleyes:

Seriously though, a MP3 amp thing would be cool!:cool:

11. moparjack44

moparjack44

Well I reckon, but how 'bout us old guys, no hair, no sweet little thing :(.
    Jack

12. Hey 38fordpickup:

Respighi's "Pini de Roma" is great on an open country road. Your'e not the only one!!!

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have a radio mounted under the seat with a remote that I hang from a dash knob. They sell them at any Best Buy or Pepboys or whoever. Works great and nobody knows it's there but me.

14. I like my music on long drives. In that aspect, screw tradition, I'm having a stereo. But, who said a radio in a Hot Rod is not traditional anyway?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  15. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I've got a 27 T Roadster Pickup and a nice Sony CD player I gutted from an old S10 I scrapped. I've also got a great idea from big creep. I'm going to take one of my old 60's GM stock radios and hide the Sony in it! Good post! Cruising & tunes have run together for at least 50 years, so why not run a tunebox in your hotrod? Makes sense to me! Good Luck!

16. rustrustler

rustrustler

I'd really like to know the ages of those that say no radio is traditional. At 64 I remember putting music in everything we drove. You had to set a mood when you parked, among other things.

17. AMEN! A stereo of some sort was the first thing I ever did to a newly acquired car if it didn't have one. When I drove my altered wheelbase 51 Ford to Paso a few years ago, I strapped a CD player to the dash substructure with muffler tape, and stuck the rear surround speakers from my living room on the floor between the bucket seats. Music and cruising IS tradition

18. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

I have to have some kind of music but will try to keep it hidden.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I like my music so i've installed a setup in my roadster, ya can't see it but you can hear it, i don't care if someone don't like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. No radio in the 34 (couldent hear it anyway) chrysler hemi for tunes. The only one i'v ever owned without one though.

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Everyone listen, a real hotrod god is pontificating cliche's.:rolleyes:

I use an Ipod.2 days of tunes on random and know I like every one of 'em

[​IMG]

Ugly and untradional ain't it ?

22. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I've got a pioneer cd players and speakers discretely mounted under the back seat and the antenna mounted the old way under the car. with the resonance from the flowmaster's (even with dynamat and insulation) I can barely hear it and I find that my daughter regulary hits it with her heels and knocks the face off. given the hassle it's probably not worth having, but it's nice on long trips--and we regularly do 5 hour trips as family in the car.

23. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I have a Pioneer cd player in the 51. Just hid it in the glove box. Also have 2 Kicker 6X9's and 2 infinity 6 1/2 components.. Never tell they are there unless you search..I dont care if they werent around in the 50's or 60's you have to have some tunes while ur cruisin

24. Retrorod

Retrorod

No you are not the only one;).