Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radiator Mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Voh

Voh

After chasing around for a while for an economic radiator for the '41 Chevy, I have finally purchased and received a universal Griffin brand radiator. Being universal, it doesn't have any mounting tabs on it so I need to fabricate some. Not able to weld aluminum, I am considering a coupe of different options.
    1. Making a U-Cradle for the radiator to drop into. Can I make this out of 20 ga or is that two thin? I plan on rolling over the edge before tacking on the U-potion.[​IMG]
    2. Could I get by with a series of bolts (or even pop rivets) thru the little side flanges and more aluminum to get me to the mounting holes of the support? [​IMG]
    3. Should I just get someone to weld on some extensions as needed?

2. It wouldn't hurt to make some type of rubber insulation between the radiator and the metal you are bolting it to, always insulate against the vibration. HRP

patmanta and Voh like this.
  3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Those tabs should be wide enough to drill through. Make sure to use robber mounts as HRP stated. I have a 48 chev and the rad I got fits nice in original core support. just had to drill holes.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Drill holes and your golden. Personally I would use bolts with star washers , lock washers or esne nuts.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Orrrrrr ......tell your better half that your screwed unless you can go buy a new MiG with spool gun or a Tig unit. Yeah , that should work real smooth. :D Now if your lady likes too get her hands dirty tell her you will teach her how to weld. Win , win for you. Tell you need some fab work done out in the shop , go in get on the hamb , open a cold brew and tell her to holler if she needs a hand and you will send a kid out.:p

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's interesting. I have a '41 Chevy Coupe with an el cheapo Champion that fits like a glove into the radiator support. It has flanges perpendicular to the sides and simply bolts to the stock mounting points. It is spaced backwards slightly as it would otherwise sit too far forwards and the bottom would foul with the grille pan and the radiator can with the top of the support, but it's pretty neat. It has quite some miles on it without any issues. This was all done by the previous owner and is just about the only part of the car that's been modified that I've not had to redo!

I'd be thinking you would have a quicker, neater solution to just have appropriate flanges made and welded on, assuming the fit to the support is good.

Chris

clem likes this.