Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator Mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrodder43, Nov 12, 2008.

1. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Heeellllppp! I am ready to mount my radiator and grille shell. I know I've seen threads that showed mounting a radiator, but can't find one now. Anyone have pictures of mounting a (mustang) radiator on Model A front crossmember? It will have a Model A grille shell on over it. Got room on the sides for 1 x 1 square tube for an upright, but how to mount it on crossmember? I know it is supposed to be rubber mounted????
    Thanks in advance. Perley:confused:

2. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Perley,
    I need the same. I am searching to see if someone has posted this already and ran accross you. Any luck a week later? My issue is with the bracket that holds the top tank on. It has ears, or lumps that seem to not want to let the grill shell fit over them.

Jay

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

I'm not sure it needs to be rubber mounted as rad just bolted to bulkhead. Here's an old HAMB photo I saved. A '29 grille really needs 2" out of sides and bottom to fit well.

Attached Files:

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If it is a new radiator and you're using an SBC for power it would pay to move the upper outlet to the driver's side. A job that will cost about $25-35 around here.

5. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

This is the only pic that I have, but it is mounted with 1 X 1 tube as you mention, but it the tubing is welded to a piece of flat stock and bolted directly to the original holes in the cross-member where the original radiator was mounted. No rubber or anything... that is also a '65 Mustang radiator in a 31 shell....

[​IMG]

6. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Thanks for the replies folks. To 29Jay, I know what you mean by those ear things. Mine sits kind of on them too. I thought about taking a hammer to them, but then common sense prevailed!

To passadenahotrod, thanks for that tip, but I am using an Inline 6 from an old Camaro. I just reversed the hose fitting on the top of the motor (thermostat housing). I presume this will work alright. I wish I had one of the angle filler necks to put on it, that 'hidden' one is going to be a pain.

Stillkruzen ---- does the vibration of the motor etc. shake the radiator, being not mounted in rubber or springs?

7. Sprout

Sprout

I made tabs welded them to the frame,then welded angle iron to them and that is where the radiator is atached to.

8. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I haven't noticed any vibration... If there is any, it isn't much... right now I don't have the rods from the radiator to the firewall, but it will eventually get those...

9. Glen

Glen

Here is mine, I realize this is not a mustang radiator....but maybe it will give you some ideas. because of my Z I mount it behind the crossmember
    The two bottom bungs are tapped.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  10. fleetside66

fleetside66

There's a flange that runs the length of each side of the radiator. I cut two 16" lengths of 1" angle iron, fabbed little shoes with gussets & welded them to the bottom of the angle iron lengths. I then bolted them (the lengths of angle iron) to the flanges & bolted the whole unit to the crossmember, through the shoes (with a thick piece of rubber between the shoes & the crossmember). I can take pics & E-mail them to you if you're interested. PM me.

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hey! that's my grille!! if you take 2" out of the sides of the grill then the radiator can't go up as high as it is in that pic. I have about .25" clearance between the shell and radiator and it's not hanging to low.