Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radials vs Bias Plys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ab_51Ford, May 4, 2010.

1. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

thats a good lookin radial!! im gonna have to find those

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes.............
    I hang around with a bunch of guys who drive old GM trucks,mostly 41-57.These trucks actually get driven on long trips,some cross country.Most are stock looking but have different gears or OD tranny's,engines hopped up a bit.To the man,they all,me too,run radials.One by one they switched to radials after driving aonther guy's radial tire truck.A few had brand new bias tires they swapped out for radials.The difference between radials and bias on these trucks is startling,the radials being that much better.
    My experience is with these trucks,not light weight hot rods or big sedans.Your experience may differ,run what you like .

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yeah...I notice you forgot to mention that you've had several of your tires COME APART ON YOU lately!! You didn't think that was useful information for someone thinking of spending $800 on a set of tires?? (Yes, I read BOTH threads.)

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My problem with the radial www is the whitewall thickness. All i was able to find was a 2/12 to 3 inch and I wanted a real WIDE whitewall and that wasnt gonna cut it. So bias it was for me. My first trip on them was Dallas to Austin and other than catching the occasional groove in the road they drive great, But I like my old car to feel and drive like an old car not just look the part so for me theres no question about it bias plys.

5. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

The search engine is your friend. This queston has been beat to death...over and over and over and over and over and over. :rolleyes:

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have put over 50,000 miles on my chevy with bias ply tires. the first set lasted almost 30,000 miles. the car drives beautifully and was originally engineered for bias ply tires. I have gone on long trips over 1000 miles, driven to work (40 mi 1 way) and just around town with no troubles. all the people who say their cars work better with radials have something wrong with your cars and the radials are masking the problem

[​IMG]

7. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Thank you Jeff, that is what I needed to hear. Id kinda like to hold my own next to all you big guys. I'll be coming to see ya for some paint work in a couple months.

Ian Berky, thanks man.

Yes, everyday. Rain and snow dont scare me. I plan on DRIVING to Austin, I plan on DRIVING to Detriot. Hopefully McPhail, Meyers, and Shay will let me follow em to Santa Maria. So yes, everyday and state to state.

Thanks fellas, I appreciate it
    -Andrew

8. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

LOL Awsome Mark, Thanks man, by the way I saw your 61 when the KKOA show was here in Wichita years back when I was probably 13 and it was the coolest car I can remember at the show. Beautiful car man!

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

thanks man

10. shainerman

shainerman

Yeah, AtomicKustom is right. I did mention in the other thread I have had Cokers come apart. With bias plays you get what you pay for. A lot of people say Coker makes them all, I dont believe that. Im currently using Firestones, my second set and they have been great. No issues at all whatsoever. At the end of the day, you just need to ask yourself, looks or comfort/performance.

11. studhud

studhud

[​IMG]

Bias plys! Radials are off topic streetrodder billet crap tires that look like ass on a car. Put radials on something like the Hirohata Merc and tell me it looks cool. As far as drivabilty bias plies are fine I have no problems and oh yeah use the search function!
    Dave Hitch

12. I used to have a chopper with a suicide clutch and a no brakes spool hub on front. It made me feel alive also. But it occasionally gave me moments that made my sphincter clench so bad that I couldn't poop for days. Bias plies are sort of like that bike. You have to really plan your stopping distances and keep both hands on the wheel.

Besides, they have really smooth roads in Kustom City,so you should have no problems, right?

13. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I run a set of BFG Silvertown bias ply tires on my Bel Air. They drive just fine.

14. Jimv

Jimv

if bias plys where safe they'd still be on new cars!As far as "traditional" goes if thats the case on this forum the question wouldn't be asked & we wouldn't be answering it!
    "ab 51's" question said its his daily driver so why not be safe & happy?? I've driven cars that had bias & went over to radials, you would think you where in the same car, much better with radials.
    Is a full fendered car no one will even notice there radials! Give it a rest on this "radial vs bias" seat belts vs no seat belts" & turn signal switch vs arm signals".
    If yuz guys are that much of "traditionalist" get off the computer & start using "pidgeons & smoke signals" to find your answers!!
    Its technology that got ya on this board. lol
    JIMV

15. WTF! Did he say Elton John!?:eek:

Studhud, you don't have to yell!:D

16. ewf

ewf
    from fl

moriarity is 100% Right
    Im running my ford with bias plys and im smiling.
    and i got it made:}

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

DiamondBack Radials and I couldn't be happier.

18. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Sorry for the post hijack but I just fell in LOVE!!!!! That is friggin' perfection on wheels!!!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yeah, I did...and I listen to Meatloaf and Journey, the Eagles, Jackson Browne and some times, even the Beach Boys...I simply can't understand all the screaming and yelling on the newer stuff passing for Top 40 these days. That's why I have new technology -- a CD player with Ipod hookup, in my 55 year old car...goes right along with my whitewall radials, 500" Caddy V8, Turbo 400 Tranny, power windows and A/C...!!!

I got tired of fighting wandering, hard riding bias ply tires in 1966...

R-

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

"Horseshit", said the papa sparrow to his flock, "Let's Eat!"

21. Crease

Crease

So generators, unpressurized cooling systems and points aren't safe?

And yes, this thread is gay.

22. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

I think the point needs to be made, that the original tires fitted to our original cars with the original engine work just fine.

But fit a seriously blown big block to it, and really start opening the throttle, and skinny cross ply tires with hard compounds are no longer safe.
    And neither might the original 30's factory brakes be either.

23. skywolf

skywolf

Take care whilst driving down the middle of the road !!!! :)

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I realize that there's a lot of people here that aren't traditional hot rodders, but for them to chime in about bias tires being unsafe, they are just ignorant kids parrotting shit they heard from somebody. I've been riding on bias tires since 1946 when I started driving and still haven't experienced the 'unsafe' component they are imagining.

Yes, radial tires ride softer at optinum pressure. Yes, radial tires generally last longer.

25. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Yeah, keep tellin' yourself that.

I will, speak for yourself
    Buddy, you have no idea who you are talking about. Shut it.

26. thesupersized

thesupersized

"shitty old technology" works well believe it or not...

if you're so into new technology, sell your t bucket and buy one of these
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

27. I guess we have to do this every few months. Piss & moan about , b!tch & nag! Like an old married couple.

Most of us agree that bias ply tires ARE correct & look better.

In my case, my truck (daily driver, yes...EVERY day) rides better on radials. Of course I have done a frame swap to something that originally had radials.

Oh sh!t. Now I just went & opened another can of worms.......

Wait! No.......Stop! Put down those torches & pitchforks!

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  28. Jimv

Jimv

who the fuck are you to tell me i have "no idea" i've been dealing with cars my whole life, I am one of the few people who is a "mechanic" not a "house painter or cab driver" who "owns " a car but a MECHANIC!! Car, machinery, whatever you got!
    I have 52,000 miles on my T all with radial tires.So to all you "traditionalist" who put 1000 miles a year on your cars going to the local cruise nite your right i'll "shut it".
    He asked if he should run radials & in my oppinon he should if hes drives it like he says, i imagine your car looks traditional sitting in the driveway!
    JimV

29. Jimv

Jimv

car companies go with whatever is cheaper, but lawsuits aren't cheap!
    JimV

30. Best reply, thankyou Phil.