Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rack'n'Pinion? On a Effie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyKarr, Feb 1, 2009.

1. RustyKarr

RustyKarr

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm curious about a Rack ( . )( . ) setup for my project effie. Its a 70 Chevelle clip up front. Other then going and buying the high dollar ($1500-$2k) kit, what are some options?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    <dl><dt></dt></dl>

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

my first thought is why a rack when you have a clip already? with the chevelle frontend,you will need the kit for rack.so get ready to pay.
    mock up a mount yourself and get a mustang 2 rack and play with that.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Any particular reason why????

If you got a legitimate reason to convert, that's cool and all... Just trying to make sure you have explored all your options first before opening a very expensive can-o-worms.

The A-body [70 chevelle] offers some outstanding options with the stock setup. Fast ratio boxes can be found in GTO's, Monte Carlo SS's, Buick GN's... Or you can have the stock box rebuilt with the quick gears for about $300.

You can also adapt big disc brakes off a 77-81 T/A or Z-28 with parts from Global West suspension.

I remember a mag article about 20 years ago where they made a late 60's A-body out-perform a porsche in the twisties.

4. RustyKarr

RustyKarr

I've been kicking a few ideas around. But most likely will do what you had suggested. I'm wanting the thing to ride and handle great. Right now the frame has the Velle clip up front and about to rebuild a vette IRS for the rear. I know this isn't hamb material but my other 55 steering and susp. is all stock like.

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Rack and Pinon is technologically superior to any steering system, done right by a qualified mechanic. You can get all the components at a salvage yard for about 20 bucks. My first thought would be do you want to use rear steer or front steer setup? Oil pan clearance allowed, I would opt for trying to get rear-steer. After slaving in a junkyard unit and was sure it would work, I would get a new OEM unit of similar configuration from a very popular late model detroit machine for future parts availability.

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Waste of effort in my opinion.
    With the development thats been done to a Chevelle frame over the years for racing and the fast steering boxes etc available, my opinion is that a R&P is only worth bragging rights out at the car show...

Change for the sake of change....???

Besides...looking at a kit thats available to do the job, it appears to be set up with the inner tierods much closer together than say a MII, so home building it might be a bit of a nightmare.
    Also they say the kit comes with shims to help you "dial out" any bumpsteer.
    I don't remember the OEM setup having any bumpsteer that needed dialing out, so I guess that comes from the R&P installation.

If it were my truck I'd just blueprint the stock Chevelle setup and work with a stock style quick steering box (maybe) and swaybar to help balance the use of the IRS.

7. RustyKarr

RustyKarr