Register now to get rid of these ads!

rack on a straight axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteorgasser, Oct 27, 2008.

1. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I am using a black unisteer setup on my coupe but i drive the damn nuts off the thing and want a lil comfort in it my current box has alot of slop and this should help out bumpsteer along with my front panhard bar traditional no! but I like to enjoy my shit sideways a lil to much!

2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

This subject has been cussed and discussed on here before. I still say the same... I have a power rack mounted to the axle on my '47 truck and it works perfect. No bump and the steering has a slip joint in it that causes no problems. It is totally hidden, and all that can be seen are the tie rods on the outside. It only makes it drive better, and whats wrong with that? Nothing, thats what.

It's like saying that a rope seal is better than a rubber seal, because thats the way "They used to do it" Thats just crazy talk!

Kevin

3. Paul2748

Paul2748

I had just a set up on a full fendered Model A with a Boss 302 , 4 speed in it. Used the GM collasible column slider thing. I ran the car for ten years that way and NEVER had any problems with the front end. Car went all over the east coast, Ohio a couple of times, speeds varied from 1 mph to over 80 mph. Steered like a dream.

I built the car in the mid 70's, used an early SAAB rack

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

thanks guys has any one ever put one on a gasser style car

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Slipjoint plunge would be extreme due to the angle from the axle to the steering wheel.
    IF the slipjoint seized or jammed due to galling you would shear something off or end up with the steering wheel/column pushed up in your face.
    I wouldn't consider using it in something like a gasser.

If the angle from the rack to the steering column is slight then the plunge is small. I don't think its an issue then, IF quality joints and slipjoint are used.

6. jj mack

jj mack

You people crack me up........

dan webb put one on the ashleys little black 32.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes i put one on my 66 Falcon gasser about 12 years ago, I used a BMW steering column slip joint and it steered brilliantly, zero bumpsteer etc.

I have also fitted the same system to 3 fendered Hotrods and i can honestly say they are the best steering 7 handling Hotrods i've ever driven.

Only got this 1 old pic but as you can see the rack is painted black and not as visible as you might think.

[​IMG]

8. Why not do it with a steering box?

9. Spedley

Spedley

Whats wrong with a regular old steering box? They have worked for years in many uses and have proved themselves to work just fine. I think its a much safer setup... Tried and true.

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its called progress, How many cars use a steering box these days plus it will have far more precise steering.
    Don't get me wrong i love the look of a steering box and 99% of my cars have them but at the end of the day the rack is far superior.

11. I would not personally run 1 this way. Definitly NOT if it could be seen. I have saw this done on a couple cars and think they look like crap being mounted to the axle. I also don't trust this setup. Good luck.

12. olskool31coupe

olskool31coupe
    from Midwest

The Uni-Steer set-up uses the same Vega mount that you would use with the Vega steering box. Pretty compact, neat and clean. Haven't driven mine yet, but have been told they really improve handling over old set-ups for the same money as the old Vega box. Just my two cents.

Happy New Year!

13. kevron

kevron

i have a mate he has an austin 1800 rack solid mounted to beam axel a model roadster pickup been on the road 3o plus years dosnt mis a nostalga drag event runs consistant 12s built in tasmania see they all havent got two heads got to love the smell of burning rubber still be buying condoms when im 90 kevron

14. ken1939

ken1939

They make a rack unit that bolts up to your vega box mount. Replaces the cross steer, not mounted to the axel.