Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects R134A plus type freon ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Does anyone use this r134a PLUS type Freon ? they say it will cool better. Is it safe to use ? or just hype ? I'm installing a new VA system. Just asking .

2. Google only shows it has oil, stop leak and seal conditioner in it.

3. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

It's the same (NEW STYLE) refrigerant with a small amount of oil and sealant added. I've used it in several OT cars and yes it works well. The sealant will deal with the tiny issues that develope where O-rings create seals. O-rings tend to 'dry out' and WILL leak over time, this new sealant is supposed to prevent that...it has worked for me on a couple of different systems. FYI: I have been in the A/C business for 36 years.

4. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Maybe I'm asking about something different. The stuff I meant to ask about is like R134A super cool, or something along those lines. Which is marketed to make the system produce colder AC.

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

What he said. It won't make your system "colder", unless the additives violate the laws of thermodynamics :)

All it is, is lubricants so your system will work as designed like when it was new. When you overhaul an AC system, make sure you have the right amount and type of oil, and make sure to run it say once a week for a little bit in the off seasons, to circulate the oil and lube the seals/O-rings. This "cold-air" additive crap is snake-oil.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The real secret to make it work good is to get maximum air flow across the condenser.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not too long ago I installed a VA Gen lV system and charged it with 134A. No complaints on cooling.

8. Ice man

Ice man

If you really want it to perform well. pull a good vacuum. 50 microns is good and some where in that area is what you want. A poor vacuum means air & moisture is still in the system, and air does nothing, just rides along and takes up space, and raises the head pressure. Water freezes and messes up the oil and is corrosive to the internals and that is NOT what you want. Iceman