Register now to get rid of these ads!

R.I.P. Rooty Root

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MO_JUNK, Jun 6, 2012.

1. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Sadly, we have lost another true traditional hot-rodder. Rooty was a transplant to central Missouri from the west coast. He was a builder of traditional hot rods and vintage race cars. He had a small business making specialty parts for 64-67 Mustangs competing in the Pikes Peak races. He told us stories of his youth. He drove a front engine dragster but said he quit shortly after they started using "those lights". He spoke of how he would study the flagman to memorize his every move. He spoke of how when facing a car he couldn't beat in eliminations-he would come off the line and whip his steering wheel a little. His opponent would often get scared and let up. Rooty would hammer it and win. Just old tricks from back in the day. We met Rooty by chance and from then on he joined our ez-up at events and pitted with us at the HAMB Drags. Some of you know him. He also ran his 23 T at the all ford meets at Tulsa Dragway. He will be missed. More history lost. Sam

2. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Sorry to hear RIP

3. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here is a picture of Rooty in his roadster at the 2009 HAMB Drags. He was a remarkable craftsman, not only was he a skilled metal worker but also great with fiberglass. The roadster was a reflection of his work. I will miss his great storys and his knowledge.

John

Attached Files:

4. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

So sorry to hear about Rudy,what a guy loved to hear him talk about the old days. He was a true craftman. Ron

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sympathy goes out to Family & Friends

6. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Darn, I hate to here that! He was a great guy. I always looked forward to seeing him at the Rolla cruise night. He was here at the house not long ago checking out some parts I had and telling me some of those cool stories. He will be missed. Rusty.

7. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Met him a few years back at the drags.... a really nice guy. Sorry to hear, prayers for his family and friends.

8. safe to say - he's in good company now - thanks for your memories...

9. Egghead

Egghead

Sorry to hear. I sat with Rooty at a small car show years ago. Heck of a nice guy to talk to.