Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest R.I.P. Mr. Erson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James Maxwell, Jul 8, 2009.

1. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Sigurd (Sig) Harald Erson
    March 22, 1930 – July 6, 2009
    Born in Los Angeles, California March 22, 1930, died at home in Okeechobee, Florida July 6, 2009.

He was predeceased by
    Parents: Arvid and Gudrun (Holm) Erson
    Brother: Leif (Babe) Erson

He was an Army Veteran of World War II and Korean War.
    He enlisted in the Army at 16 by lying about his age and spent his tour in Tokyo, Japan guarding the Imperial Palace.
    He spent the Korean War at Ft. Lewis in Washington State.

He worked for Iskendarian Cams in Los Angeles until opening Sig Erson Racing Cams in 1963.

He was an avid drag racer, motorcycle trials participant and outstanding off road racer, competing in the Baja 500 and 1000 many times. He was a great sport fisherman and private pilot.

He was a founding member of SEMA (Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association, now Specialty Equipment).

After selling Sig Erson Racing Cams in 1982, he and his wife MaryAnn spent many years in Huntington Harbor, California: Kona, Hawaii and the Florida Keys.

A resident of Okeechobee, Florida for the past six years he leaves his wife of twenty-six years, MaryAnn, daughters: Ginny (Steve) Brumley of Washington State, Barbara Storm and Lynda Rubly of California, and son John of Hawaii. He leaves five grandchildren and twenty-three great grandchildren. Plus he leaves his brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Dave and Judy Rickard of Arkansas, and his loving dog, Peet.

A Celebration of his life will be held later. Donations to the Hospice of Okeechobee.

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

RIP to a legend.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

4. RIP Mr Erson.
    Sold many parts with his name on them durring my SSI days.
    Still running 2 Erson cams today.

5. R.I.P. from an old drag racer.

6. HERE HERE !!

RIP

Rat

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I ran a TQ30 cam shaft in a 307 SBc in my 54 Chev for some time. Most fun I've had with a camshaft for a long time

RIP dear sir RIP

8. raven

raven

Glad that you got to play.
    God Speed.
    r

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

Great Cams until Super Shops took over and then Erson cams weren't known for good quality.I worked the counter at Super shops and those cams were always coming back defective.

10. Rest in peace Sig old friend.

Charlie

11. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

RIP Mr Erson

12. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

It saddens me to have to tell you that the founder of our company Sig Erson passed away July 6th 2009. He died peacefully at his home in Florida at the age of 79 with his wife Mary Ann at his side. For over twenty years I have been at the helm of Erson Cams and not one day has gone by whereas I haven’t thought of him and/or his legacy. Sometimes when I would run into problems that required me to really think I would ask myself, what would Sig do? He was truly an innovator and a leader with vision. I will continue to think of him often and reach out to his spirit for advise when my back is up against the wall. I will always remember that when he was King the world was a different place, he didn’t have the so called technology that we have. Lobes designs were created by hand with long hand math, determination and the commitment to a design. He would toile for hours with a manual mill, a file and a little sand paper to create a single design and when it was done it was perfect. There aren’t many men around like that anymore and that’s why I admire our roots here at Erson. I can only hope that from his perch in Heaven he likes what he sees and what has become of the company he started 45 years ago.

Steve Tanzi
    http://www.pbm-erson.com/

13. frank spittle

frank spittle

When I built a 6.71 supercharged 427 Chevy for my '33 Essex Convertible in 1972 I was told by my local speedshop to give Sig a call and ask his advise on a cam. He was one of the leading cam makers then. I did and can clearly remember his heavy accent. After spending about 15 minutes going over my street setup he, much to my surprise, recommended one of his hydraulic lifter cams. I was very surprised but went with his recommendation. After driving it for 5 years I got tired of it and sold the engine. When I pulled the valve covers for the new owner to inspect it was the first time they had been off since building it. I can only imagine how many time I would have pulled them to adjust solid lifters. Thank you Sig and my condolances to his family.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

15. Late 70's I called them to ask for a cam recommendation for a 331" small block. Ended up going to the plant and talking to Sig himself, unbelievably nice to a snot nosed kid like myself.
    That Sig Erson High Flow II was one of the best cams i have ever used, matched the combo perfectly just like he said it would. Also had a Nasty rump to it.
    Godspeed Sig

16. RIP and my condolences to his family.

Steve

17. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Thanks Sig for the baddest cam on the Planet---the infamous 990B roller.
    If I couldn't beat 'em in my '57 that cam would scare the crap out of 'em!!
    RIP--we lose another legend who was always approachable and happy to share.

18. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Another legend lost - RIP Mr. Erson

19. 63Compact

63Compact

I think I'll go spin the ol TQ30 in his honour. RIP.

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

RIP Sig Erson .
    Sig was a huge influence in the racing world .
    I have a set of his roller rockers for a 351w and are still going strong !

21. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

The TQ 30 one of the best cams I ever ran..............

Godspeed Sig!

22. jpm49c

jpm49c

Sorry to hear that! I still have the engine with Sig Erson 990B we bought in 1967 for the 57 Chevy in my picture. What a nice running and sounding motor. John

23. X2 on the TQ 30, RIP.

24. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The very first honest to god speed part I ever bought.....An Erson cam. Sig, wherever you are, thanks for that moment.

25. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

HERO. Thank you. Sorry to all his family and pals Rest in peace.

26. bummer...Sig was a ruler...rip