Register now to get rid of these ads!

R F Bissell, Maryland race photog

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WillysRule, Jan 23, 2011.

1. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Anyone know how to contact R F Bissell? He was a drag race photographer that shot back in the 60's out of Maryland.

Thanks

98Racer likes this.
  2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I remember hearing that he had moved to Michigan and has since passed away. Supposedly, his son threw out all the old pics/negatives. Don't take that as gospel, just what I heard. There's was a bunch of Virginia/Maryland guys that had him photograph their stuff for magazines.Good luck in the hunt.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Aw man, I hope that isn't true. How could someone just throw out the life's works of their father like that? It would be pretty easy to set up a web site and advertise the stuff, and even have line of extra income. Hopefully someone else will know more.

Thanks,
    Mark

Genes12320 likes this.
  4. R.F.'s work was excellent!

He worked at Capitol Raceway outside DC and that's where I used to hang. I loved seeing his pics, brought back many great memories.

5. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I was trying to locate him..Wanted permission to use some of his pics in a book I was working on..Several of the east coast photogs told me he passed away several years ago..

7. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

If he passed away, I wonder if anyone inherited his photo collection. It'd be a shame for all that to go to waste.

8. Robert Bissell was a fixture at every Mid-Atlantic track, especially during a NHRA regional or record run event. His photos could be found not only in National Dragster but Eastern Drag New and Mid-Eastern Drag News as well.
    He can be clearly seen in my photo of Don Garlits at Island Dragway during "Bigs" run setting the first official 200+ NHRA record in 1964. His photo was on the cover of National Dragster, but I can't be seen in his photo due to the huge amount of tire smoke.

It would be a tremendous loss if his photo library has been destroyed.

Attached Files:

9. Awesome photo, Rich. Love the old black and whites.

10. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I don't think he is dead.I think my buddy talked to him recently. He lives in arizona or colorado. He said he offered them to NHRA and they turned him down and since,disposed of them. I tried to call my buddy who knws and he didn't answer, I'll call back later today and report what I found out

Genes12320 likes this.
  11. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Thanks for checking into this. I hope he's still around and hope he still has his photo collection. Sometimes, we don't let people know we appreciate what they did enough while they're still around.

12. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I talked to my buddy and got the scoop.Bob Bissell is indeed still alive. Bob moved to West Virginia and became a Truck Driver, after his wife died he moved out west. My freind has talked to him recently. After offering NHRA all his photos they did turn him down. He did dispose of them. [Proof that NHRA has no soul] Today he lives in Utah,I was close, and in the summer lives in Alaska where he drives a tour bus. Hope I was some help.

13. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Thanks for the info. At least he's still alive. Is there any chance of getting his number from your buddy?

14. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks for the followup and good info. I'll make sure the person that gave me the bad info knows.
    It's a shame he didn't offer the photos to Hot Rod magazine or one of them. Those dolts at nhra (other than a select few that really were racers) could care less about drag racing much less the history.

15. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I'll see if he has the number. It is sad the protos or negatives no longer exist. It would have been neat if someone could have done like Hot Rod Deluxe did with the Rickman photos.There would have been no greater history of mid -atlantic drag racing and car shows. Plus Bob did many features of cars in Hot Rod, rod and Custom,Car Craft etc.

16. chevellemike

chevellemike
    from ohio

I have some original photos from capital raceway from R.F. Bissell that I acquired years ago from someone that I knew that was related to R.F. Bissell, he did pass away according to the person I worked with that said that he was his nephew and found them in his attic. I have had the pictures for years and was just at the Spring Nationals in Norwalk and I just happen to take the pictures with me to inquire about them with Connie Kalitta but was not able to talk to him. I then looked up some info on the computer about them and came across this website.

17. BruceWheelerDealer

BruceWheelerDealer
    from Maui

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to address what became of Bissell's drags pics. As indicated quite awhile ago, it was also my understanding that he was, or had been living in Colorado. As to his pictures, he sold all of his negatives, along with the rights to any future images printed from them, to the late Dick Towers (Match Race Madness). Towers was ruthless in his efforts to prevent people from using pics that were in his domain, including ALL of the great Jim Kelly's images, too. Towers "collection" went to his son on his passing, who, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't done a thing with them.

18. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks for that info Bruce. It's a shame those pics are just stashed and not being shared. Did RF ever photograph your fuelers? I remember he did Len Cottrell's Austin for Hot Rod. "SOMF":D Mike

19. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Back up for the love of history.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Glenn Belfiore

Glenn Belfiore

Really cool to see this thread. I too am searching for R.K. Bissell to use a photo in something - an awesome capture of Jungle Jim's 69 Nova F/C in B&W that sold on EBay recently. Sure wish i knew how to locate someone for permission or for a reprint at least. 2/2021

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.