Register now to get rid of these ads!

R&C Gasser issue.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rootie Kazoootie, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

FWIW-Just pulled the latest Rod and Custom out of the mailbox and this mo. they are featuring gassers. With all the interest and discussion lately about what defines a gasser etc. etc. I thought I would give a heads up to those who may be interested. Here's a couple of scans:

Attached Files:

2. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Very cool man! I can't wait to get mine.

monkey

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Usually a FAD is on it's way out by the time the magazines get a wiff of it.....
    But thanks for the heads up......I'll flip through it at the bookstore. I do like those types of cars..ALOT!

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I believe the gold one came out of Sam's(dragracer50) shop...

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Another issue of R+C with reasons to subscribe........Love the center spread! :)

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

REALLY??? I've been waiting for "crap rods" to die but Ol Skool Rodz has record sales numbers with no end in sight! Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

I didn't realize after 45 years of history that gassers were a "fad".

7. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

Just bought mine great issue makes me want to make my 52 Ihc into a gasser.

Attached Files:

8. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Just got mine in the mail, very cool. And to think, "Hot Rod" said that there has been way to many gasser articles done lately and people are starting to get tired of them.

9. What's a gasser?

Sam.

10. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Got my first ride in a gasser when I was 10 (1976). We looked at tri-fives for sale almost every night back then. This was a '56 Bel Air post with a straight axle, jacked way up on Cragars all around. Nice paint and black diamond tuck interior. My dad drove it with me in the passenger seat like he had driven his own '56 at Lions in the mid sixties. Still one of the fastest rides I have ever had and will never forget. That night at the street lights became a blur and the 327 screamed as the 4-speed growled I got my first gasser experience and will always love them after that.

So if the Gassers REALLY never went away- are they really a "fad" now? I saw some AWESOME ones the last few years at the Goodguys event in Ohio.

11. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Congrats on the Gasser Issue! The new layout Aaron has given the mag also works quite well. I was wondering how long before R&C got to gassers. You had one on the Ego Rama back in '04 that I hoped would rank a feature, but I only got the smaller pictures from the coverage. Looking forward to the Jimmy Shine build as well, even though it will make the HAMB first!:)

12. Gassers never really went away, they just took a well-deserved break! I'm glad to see they are coming back into the limelite. When I got my latest R&C, I was hopin for more gassers than what's actually in this issue. (sigh) Hope everyone keeps the gasser spirit alive. My next car will be gasser themed anyway.

13. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

good magazine since they trimmed the fat. cant wait to get my issue this month. the new staff is the best they ever had and i like the new look.

14. slammed

slammed

The black '55 Chev w/blue tint window's was esp. nice. Just one thing to add.........a NASTY burn-out!

15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Do It! I have the logo already for ya.

Attached Files:

16. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks but he works for me and built that car at home by himself in its etirety....every part of it start to finish, it now resides in new york with my old car ..

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I think JimA would beg to differ with you...:eek:

18. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

JimA,
    As I read your post, I sunk in my chair and had to take a deep breath. I sold my high school car in or about 1979 and it was
    a 56 210 post, straight axle, cragars, black, dimond tuck,
    bucket seats, roll bar over the seats 4 point, gutted, the front end
    was glass, one piece tilt, the front end was all primer when i sold it
    I grewup in bellflower / lakewood area, seen lots action on the local blvd's, whitter, bellflower, beach, downy. I always wondered what happened to that car. Can you post a pic, I will try aswell. It would be crazy if same car. now the crazy part,,,,I sold it for 500 bucks :eek: :eek:
    thanks,
    Roach

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...well, I sit corrected...:)

20. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

its better without him.

21. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

No, he was actually trying to take a shot- he still has diaper rash over me picking on his buddy. He can tear off the top corner of the cover with my engine on it if it makes him feel better. :(

22. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yeah, guess you read past my stories in there and that I will be continuing to contribute. Sorry to break the bad news.

23. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

Nice logo G V Gordon! I really am thinking of doing it.

24. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

get over yourself. you need help.

Looks like it will be a good issue. i subscribed through good years and bad. the new look they started two issues ago is cool. a favorite magazine is getting better. I like the changes.

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I guess what I said didn't quite come out right Jim....but I think you know what I mean???? Maybe????:confused:

REAL gasser= not a fad
    Gasser-styled cars= latest fad
    I'm not TRYING to dog on either style.....I LIKE 'em both!!!!!! Want to build one....

I think you get a little too defensive at times Jim.......mellow out....everything will be FINE...

You haven't been paying attention, have you.....big discussion about Gassers/Streetfreaks not long ago....your story sounds like a street freak!:rolleyes: :p :D What times did it run and in which GAS class??

26. TINGLER

TINGLER

What the hell do you know?

You stuck bombs all over your truck. :D

Olive drab hot rods is a fad. :eek: :D

I'm building a hillbilly truck right now.
    You all can kiss my ass. I'll be rockin the white spoke truck wheels......got the gun rack on the back.
    I'm shopping for cab lights right now.

I'll have to buy a copy of that R&C.
    Looks like it'll be a GAS. har har.

27. hatch

hatch
    from house

JimA is my favorite shit stirrer....I'm good, but he's great....soooooo..I'm takin notes to add to my reportoir. Thanks JIM!!!

28. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Not to Hijack, but Scotty's article on the "Survivor" roadster should be required reading for all Hambers! Jim A, that small block is fine as well, and I am glad you won't be completely out of the R&C family. I have subscribed since Ganahl, and since '02 the mag has really started to reflect the Bud Bryan/Pat Ganahl era.

29. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yes, I do know what you mean.

I don't mean to sound like I'm 'jumping you- just defending the slam on behind the trends magazines that can't keep up with the "fads" until they are weezing a final breath.

I've been paying attention- and in 1976 we weren't calling them "Street Freaks" yet (and actually beyond CAR CRAFT, we never did). This car didn't have fender flares or a goofy lace and panel paint job with a big ugly tunnel ram through the hood and sun roof and a whip antenna- those were "Street Freaks" in 1978.
    The car I'm talking about had all the classic attributes of what was and still is a "gasser". No front bumper or inner fenderwells, white fenderwell headers and parallel leaf straight axle frontend. The paint was one simple color of light blue and the Cragars were 5-inch in the front and 8-inch on the rear (wider than that entered the "freak" zone ;) ) . Inside were glass buckets a tach and a 3-spoke wheel along with the simple diamond tuck. No stereo or CB. The healthy small-block and rock crusher 4-speed were strictly business.
    I might be totally wrong, but by this time at my life we had looked at hundreds of Tri-Fives and was totally hooked for like, you were 3 years old- but if you were calling them "Street Freaks" in '76 I stand corrected ;)

See, I don't EVER mind being wrong, but like the case with the newbie crybaby above I don't back down when I'm right either. Even his friend he's trying to defend admitted I had validity to my argument and we squashed our squabble privately like gentlemen, but I respect his opinion that I'm a loud-mouthed jerk, but I add a correct loud-mouthed jerk none the less.

Hatch, one persons "shit-stirrer" is another's truth talker ;). It's just a case of too many don't like to step on toes and choose not to get involved. I always respected the writers that were not afraid to talk the truth and didn't worry about the toes it sometimes stepped on.

30. I guess for some people gasser styled cars are a trend but not all. Here is my car from the mid 80's. They're more popular than ever right now but for me and many others others on here it's no trend.
    [​IMG]